PDA

View Full Version : Which 6800 GT

Pages : [1] 2

fuzzmo
02-12-05, 05:41 PM
Apologies in advance as I know many have asked this question but I previously had an XFX 6800 GT but after four months it started playing up (first three were fine). Upshot of it is that should the card be found faulty I can exchange for another card. Now the choices I have are as follows:

PNY Verto 6800 GT
Inno 3D 6800 GT
Leadtek Winfast A400GT TDH 6800 GT
Asus V9999GT / TD 6800GT

The card will be going into a Shuttle SN85G4V2.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Fuzzmo.

MustangSVT
02-12-05, 05:44 PM
I would get the Leadtek card because it comes with some good free games, good heatsink and excellent warranty (3 year).

When I bought my Gainward, I was actually shopping for a Leadtek 6800 GT, but I ended up buying a Gainward because the Leadtek card wasn't in stock (no estimated date either) and I was getting a Golden Sample version at no extra price.

fuzzmo
02-12-05, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the reply Mustang. How big is the heatsink on the Leadtek? Is it bigger than the standard 6800 GT Heatsink? Width will be an issue as this will be fitting into a shuttle case.....

Phalinx
02-12-05, 05:51 PM
fuzzmo

I'd go with PNY for now. I don't know about the others however. Try to find an eVGA 6800GT instead. eVGA has a trade up program.

Cheers

Phalinx

fuzzmo
02-12-05, 05:57 PM
Phalinx - thanks for the reply. Why in particular the PNY? I live in the UK and the shop I have returned it to (ebuyer.co.uk) do not have the eVGA hence the choice that I stated earlier.

1337_Like_ThaT
02-12-05, 06:01 PM
I would say Leadtek only becasue I have owned various Leadtek cards in the past and I have not had even one go out, but are still running rock solid. Yet again that just might be my turn of luck :). I'm not sure how the leadtek 6800 card is designed, but generally their heatsinks compared to other companies are better cooling

ChrisRay
02-12-05, 06:01 PM
I use the PNY myself. It's basically a reference model and allows to OC 400/1.1. But the leadtek's got a nice cooler. Albeit bigger.

fuzzmo
02-12-05, 06:06 PM
Hmmm so it's between the PNY and Leadtek? Ok - I think I might go Leadtek depending on the size of the heatsink. Given the comments here I probably could not go wrong with either, although I am open to suggestions on the others....

NoWayDude
02-12-05, 06:11 PM
What happen to your XFX?
BTW i would think that the cooler on the Leadtek card will be too big for a shutle, but try it.Overclockers.co.uk have lots of availability at the moment

fuzzmo
02-12-05, 06:21 PM
Well it was fine for three months and Doom III ran flawlessly. Far Cry ran absolutely fine after the 1.1 patch. After three months I noticed some random freezing. After I got Half Life 2, I found that I just couldn't play the game at all - freezing after about 3-4 mins of play.

I then found that even the most innocuous apps (media player playing mp3's and MS Word) would make the system hang. Tried to do a clean re-install and found that I couldn't even install XP!!! Swapped out various parts until I got to the graphics card and then hey presto, everything works! Concluded that the card was knackered and have sent it back.

I can't go to Overclockers as eBuyer will only offer an exchange or credit, which is fair enough as it is around six months old.

toxikneedle
02-12-05, 06:32 PM
If you live in the UK, Id definetely get a Gainward 6800 GT Golden Sample. Best card ever. It may be a little bit more than an average 6800GT but not by a lot, and when your spending so much money already, an extra 20 dollars isn't going to kill you for top quality.

fuzzmo
02-12-05, 06:35 PM
Belive it or not that was my first choice - and it is available to me from ebuyer - but I don't think it will fit in my shuttle case - it takes up more or less two slots with it's heatsink does it not?

keith33
02-12-05, 07:11 PM
It takes 2 slots like the reference 6800 Ultra to the best of my knowledge. Also for the XFX crashing on you, is it possible that the power supply in your shuttle was just not sufficent enough to power a 6800 card and an AMD64? Using a less power hungry card would explain how you narrowed it down to the video card. Just curious because I know they usually come with smaller power supplies, and I needed a 520W power supply to run my system stably. Just a thought though.

fuzzmo
02-12-05, 09:32 PM
Yeah I do know what you mean, but many people have managed to use the 6800 GT in many shuttles including the SN85G4V2 and some have done tests on it and found that shuttle power supplies coped with it with power to spare.

Some have managed to put Ultras into there (using a case mod as it physically would not fit into there) and given they need two power adapters they have still run stable OC'ed systems! Amazing - all I want to do is run at stock.....

Besides for the first three/four months it ran perfectly fine - I once had the computer on for a week and a half, and it still ran well. The feedback I got from a lot of people was that the XFX can be very hit and miss (more miss).

The crunch though was when I swapped it out into another system. Same problem.....

MustangSVT
02-12-05, 09:37 PM
If the Leadtek can't fit, my second choice would be the ASUS card just because I've used ASUS cards in the past, good warranty, and nice cooler too.

All I know is that Leadtek has a nice cooler (better and less noise than stock I believe), comes with Splinter Cell 2 and PoP, and 3 year warranty.

ASUS comes with DX:Invisible War I think and 3 year warranty.

PNY, not sure how their warranty goes, I think it's like 2 year or until they stop producing 6800's.

Inno3D, havent heard many good things about them. They're more like cheaper cards I think, so I don't think it comes with any bundle. Probably 1 year warranty just like most other maf's.

I think if not Leadtek, you should take look at MSI. 3 year warranty I think, and good cooler and also 2 games.

fuzzmo
02-12-05, 09:45 PM
Yeah, I have heard good things about the Asus as well, but is it true that their 6800GT model needs two power connectors?

fuzzmo
02-12-05, 09:51 PM
Leadtek is ruled out - just seen a picture in a review on the net - basically a double slot card with a pretty chunky cooler (hence better cooling). Shame really as I would have liked to have gone for that....

Ah well - either Asus or PNY now....

keith33
02-12-05, 09:58 PM
As much as I've bashed Asus for the Smartdoctor tool, they do have first rate tech support and RMA dept. should anything go wrong, going with them is a pretty safe bet.

Completely unrelated but:
Time taken to setup ASUS P4P800 Deluxe system : 2 hours
Time taken to setup MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum system : 20 days lol

fuzzmo
02-12-05, 10:02 PM
:D

Beginning to lean towards the Asus now...

Phalinx
02-12-05, 10:23 PM
fuzzmo

I have a PNY card as well as an eVGA. Never had any problems. Choose wisely on a card that has a good hs/f combo. I purchased an eVGA ultra copper hs and attached it to my 6800gt. The ram sink/fan were taken off. A tornado was mounted under the card on its own platform.

Cheers

Phalinx

fuzzmo
02-12-05, 10:45 PM
Hmmmm.... Thanks for the advice - I think I might have to go for the PNY through - strangely enough - physical elimination. The Asus power connector from what I gather is - rather than being flat and to the side - sticks out perpendicular from the surface of the card. This causes a problem for my shuttle.

So to recap:

Leadtek and Gainward - dual slot solutions - Out! (Shame as they are the best cards)
Asus - protruding power connector - Out!
Inno 3D - no real feedback apart from being akin to XFX - Out!
PNY - good feedback and it will fit!

Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated!

Cheers,

Fuzzmo.

toxikneedle
02-13-05, 12:11 AM
Hmm sucks that you cant get the gainward, Id get evga then.... since you can't get asus.... pny is alright too i guess but Im leaning more towards evga personally.

fuzzmo
02-13-05, 03:17 AM
evga is out by mere fact that it isn't stocked by the shop! I can only get an exchange or a credit, sadly no refund :-(

rohit
02-13-05, 07:31 AM
1st of all Make sure your ASUS v9999GT (6800GT) is not 128mb ddr1.
I wuld suggest leadtek, but no use since u gotta install in a shuttle.
Well, if ASUS is 128mb, then i'g say go for Inno3d, couple of friends usin the inno3d fx 57's and 66GT's. having no problems. i used the inno3d ti4200 and had no problems. final descision is urs.

Completely unrelated but:
Time taken to setup ASUS P4P800 Deluxe system : 2 hours
Time taken to setup MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum system : 20 days lol

true...LOL :D

Delbert
02-13-05, 07:37 AM
fuzzmo.... if width is a problem go get the ASUS 6800GT from here.... http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=158596
And its currently in stock.... hope you enjiy what ever you get.