PDA

View Full Version : FPS capped in old OpenGL games?

chelives
02-12-05, 08:07 PM
I recently moved my page file to another HD and noticed that my Quake 3 games and mods are now capped at about 35FPS. Any idea what's happening here? Thx in advance! HL2, D3, and other apps are fine and faster than than ever. :)

System specs

Windows XP SP2
ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD Athlon 3200 XP (400 MHZ FSB)
1 GB DDRAM
PNY NVidia GeForce 6800

SH64
02-12-05, 08:08 PM
Have you made sure v-sync is disabled ??

chelives
02-12-05, 08:15 PM
Yes.

I have had this system for over a year now and it has been rock solid...just got the new HD and Vid Card for XMas and recently read how moving your page file to another HD than where your Windows dir is located would increase performance. Other than that I have mad eno changes and I am running the NVidia 66.93 drivers with no OC'ing or any other funny business. These games were working fine prior to my moving the page file today.

chelives
02-12-05, 09:25 PM
Well, this might sound weird but...I turned off my CPU for a while and went shoe shopping. Three pairs of shoes later, I let my kid play WoW for about 4 hours and then he turned off my CPU. I just rebooted and BAM! Q3 and all the mods are running at a steady 95 FPS in online play. I don't wtf happened but its seems like the issue is resolved. All i can say is TY for the help and I think Windows takes a while (like several reboots) to get used to user defined page files (I set it to 2000min-4000max). :)

Kojiro
02-13-05, 03:21 PM
WoW is D3D, open gl is always 60hz. I don't think v-sync will help in open gl.

some old games are just limited to 30fps, that's how they were created. 30 frames is sufficient.

Video, such as movies and TV run at 24 frames a second. A method called 3.2 pulldown is used to make it 29.9 FPS to fit with the NTSC standard.

Further more the human eye can't perceive frame rates beyond 60. Only benchmarking or utills that count the frames can tell.

Unfortunately this utilly, while useless when improving graphics, has become sort of a speedometer for gaming. In other words, making an old game run at 120 frames is not going to improve the graphics, it's just a number that people use to justify who's computer is faster.

Gentle
02-13-05, 05:34 PM
It really looks like your refresh rate is set at 70hz and you are getting half that. I would check into a refresh rate issue or running with VSync off.

Good luck.

Gentle

Lezmaka
02-14-05, 09:20 PM
WoW is D3D, open gl is always 60hz. I don't think v-sync will help in open gl.

some old games are just limited to 30fps, that's how they were created. 30 frames is sufficient.

Video, such as movies and TV run at 24 frames a second. A method called 3.2 pulldown is used to make it 29.9 FPS to fit with the NTSC standard.

Further more the human eye can't perceive frame rates beyond 60. Only benchmarking or utills that count the frames can tell.

Unfortunately this utilly, while useless when improving graphics, has become sort of a speedometer for gaming. In other words, making an old game run at 120 frames is not going to improve the graphics, it's just a number that people use to justify who's computer is faster.

OpenGL is not always 60hz. I regularly ran OpenGL games (engines based on Q3) at refresh rate of 85 and 100. 24 frames per second is sufficient for films to create the illusion of fluid movement. But just because it's sufficient doesn't mean it's optimal or the upper limit. There is no set limit for what everyone's eyes/brains can detect. Some people work just fine with a refresh rate of 60Hz while others can't use anything lower than 85 or 100. Just like with minimum framerate, some people need 45FPS to feel smooth, while others only 25-30.