PDA

View Full Version : bfg 6800gt oc (@ultra) temps heat up more in cs:s w/fewer people in server

j0j081
02-12-05, 10:02 PM
Until last night I had not experienced a single crash w/my BFG 6800GT OC running at Ultra speeds in CS:Source. The difference was the server I played in only had 5 or 6 people in it. My fps were WAY up but so were my temps... What's the deal? When I lowered to stock speeds everything was fine (no crashing) Why would higher fps w/less people cause more overheating than lower fps due to a maxed out server 20+ people? I would assume the server with more people would be more graphically challenging to render?

MUYA
02-12-05, 11:31 PM
The higher clocked it is, the more energy is fed to it and the more more energy is leaked through thermal dissipation and higher temperatures reported.

IF you have more people in that game, it doesn't mean that all those people are rendered all at once.Lowere clock means it is being fed with lower amount of energy than a higher clocked one. GPU do not work like a P4 and maybe AMD's cool and quiet which can clock manage the cpus depending on load or temperature. In a GPU data is fed to the quad processors to render the scene, and the screen rendering time is dependent on how many passes it takes render a complete scene (with all models, interaction and effects etc). It doesn't mean the more passes it takes to render a scene, the more energy a GPU uses as i understand it. Only when other players become visible are they rendered in your FOV by the GPU. It would probably be more of a challenge to the CPU than GPU since the CPU has to track the other players untill which time it has to render the models and effects associated with a GPU and that is handled by the GPU which even clocked at stock speed still operates within it's given thermal parameter and reports lower temperature readings than when you u are overclocking it.

j0j081
02-13-05, 06:05 AM
thanks for the explanation but i still don't understand why my card WHEN OC'd runs fine if the server is full but crashes when there are only a few people.

MUYA
02-13-05, 06:08 AM
Have u traced the crash through to the graphics card though? Maybe you could try the steam forums for what mabe a Steam quirk?

j0j081
02-13-05, 06:13 AM
Im not really worried about it enough to do that. It just seems strange to me that the higher fps I get when the server is empty causes the card to heat up more than a full server and low fps.

Acid Rain
02-14-05, 02:25 AM
Im not really worried about it enough to do that. It just seems strange to me that the higher fps I get when the server is empty causes the card to heat up more than a full server and low fps.
I have your quick answer, as I've seen this phenomenon using RTHDRIBL.

More players=higher cpu utilization=lower frame rate due to cpu bottleneck=less work for the gpu as it waits on the cpu=cooler operation.

If I disable AA in RTHDRIBL, I am not limited by the memory bandwidth on the card, so it runs at a higher framerate, allowing the GPU to render faster and heat up more.

What does RTHDRIBL and video bandwidth have to do with CS-S and CPU bottlenecking?

Simple.

Both are examples of a non-GPU bottleneck, and both serve to lessen the amount of work that the GPU can do, since both make it wait before continuing, thus, slowing it down, and keeping it cooler.

j0j081
02-14-05, 04:08 AM
thanks that was a good explanation. makes perfect sense.

ViN86
02-14-05, 10:37 AM
More players=higher cpu utilization=lower frame rate due to cpu bottleneck=less work for the gpu as it waits on the cpu=cooler operation.

i was just about to say the same thing. beautifully put :D

in RTCW (a game that is about 3-4 yrs old) i get 125 fps + no problem with a few people in the server. but when those 20 player servers fill up, my cpu has to work to keep up, even though the game is rated for like an 800mhz cpu, heh.

jAkUp
02-14-05, 11:52 AM
I have your quick answer, as I've seen this phenomenon using RTHDRIBL.

If I disable AA in RTHDRIBL, I am not limited by the memory bandwidth on the card, so it runs at a higher framerate, allowing the GPU to render faster and heat up more.

What does RTHDRIBL and video bandwidth have to do with CS-S and CPU bottlenecking?

Simple.

Both are examples of a non-GPU bottleneck, and both serve to lessen the amount of work that the GPU can do, since both make it wait before continuing, thus, slowing it down, and keeping it cooler.

Yup good explanation, I was about to say the same also :)