PDA

View Full Version : Dell ships crappy 6800's

MustangSVT
02-12-05, 10:22 PM
A friend of mine just bought a new Dell Dimension XPS. I don't know why, I told him not to get it and that he should get an A64 + 6800GT from this good computer store but he still bought one. Anyway, he spent all this money on getting a P4 3.46EE and 1GB DDR2, and for video card, with Dell, you can choose between a 6800 256MB and an X800XT. He went for the 6800 256MB even though he could've gotten just a P4 3.4 and an X800XT for cheaper.

Anyway, long story short, I checked out the config of the card for him, and it's the NV41 so he can't mod the pipelines or anything, and the clocks on it are 325/600! 600MHz on the memory. That's just terrible. I was expecting it to be 350/1000 like the ASUS V9999GE. I guess the 600MHz DDR1 memory is much more cheaper. I feel sorry for him that he went and spent all that much and only got what's basically a crippled 6800nu.

Rytr
02-12-05, 10:30 PM
Too bad he did not listen. Dell had a good year.

MustangSVT
02-12-05, 11:41 PM
Yeah, no wonder Dell got a good year. You know that saying. There's an idiot born every day. Though I don't think my friend is an idiot (he is my friend after all), you can see what I mean. :spank: :banghead:

Ruined
02-12-05, 11:59 PM
325/600 is actually the reference speed for pci-e 6800 cards.

ChrisRay
02-13-05, 12:00 AM
325/600 is actually the reference speed for pci-e 6800 cards.

No kidding? Wth? Gah I was even considering them for my SLI setup.

MustangSVT
02-13-05, 12:21 AM
I think I remember now. If you go look up the NV41 6800 PCI-E on NewEgg that's like $325, at first glance, it's good cause 256MB. Second glance you'll see it's 600MHz memory and then you'll remember that they can't be modded. What a giant rip-off if you ask me. Another case where the 256MB version is slower than 128MB version just like always (aside from the fact non-maddable). Another case similar to FX5200-5700 256MB and R9600NP-XT 256MB repeats.

keith33
02-13-05, 09:55 AM
Wow, that really sucks, I can't believe a company as large as Dell wouldn't list ALL their specs on a system before selling it. On the brightside, I guess his 3.46EE will more than compensate for the slower video card. Also that's surprising that Dell is the only company in North America than can get their hands on X800 XTs fast. I'm not sure about Dell, but my dad got an Alienware laptop and they gave him a full upgrade path for the next 4 years, he can basically upgrade any component at OEM cost through them, and they'll even send someone to install it free. So I guess if I were to ever buy a pre-made system, I might spend the little extra for the Alienware to get a deal like that.

jAkUp
02-13-05, 10:59 AM
Theres a reason why dell rhymes with hell :D Any luck with an OC on that memory? The card is clearly memory limited, increasing the bandwith on the memory should give a nice performance increase.

Knowning that its only DDR1, and its dell, its probably not gonna budge much, but worth a shot I guess :D

SVTF_Pat
02-13-05, 12:16 PM
Sup Guys & Gals

I have been lurking at nVNews for some time now and this is my first post so go easy on me please. I also have the video card and computer that are being discused in this thread. I know that is two strikes against me already and the third strike is the fact that I have been using ATi RADEONS since the R100.

I was skeptical of this 6800 when I first got this Dell two weeks ago but I must say that I have grown to really like this card the more I use it. I would say it is about 50% faster than a 9800 XT. In 2K3 the 6800 scored 8700 and the 9800 XT scored 6400. In NASCAR 2003, starting at the back of 32 car field, the 6800 is getting 70 ish FPS in OGL, my brothers X800 XT PE is getting 60 ish FPS in D3D. In Counter Strike Source VST at default settings, 1024x768 everything high and 4x AA , 101 FPS on this crappy Dell. The numbers I have provided are not meant to to be all inclusive as they were obtained from three different computers ranging from 2.8-3.4 P4`s.

There are a couple other things I like about this 6800. It is fairly quiet and does not require an additionsl power connection and only takes up one slot.

Pat

MustangSVT
02-13-05, 12:44 PM
Not sure about memory overclock. My friend and my other friends don't overclock and don't want to either, so I'll leave it at that.

Rytr
02-13-05, 02:10 PM
Once you start putting together your own computer and do it a number of times you begin to get a distain for Dell, HP, Gateway, etc. The reason being that if you put your own together you would not pick the same components that are found in these makes. That does not make them bad, it just makes them using parts 'we' would not choose for various reasons (usually relating to top performance).
This is especially true for hardcore gamers with the vid card of choice. The 6800 PCI-e will do the job and for the most part do it well. It just does not meet the 'picky' performance standards many of us use.
After extensively testing the 6200 and 6600 PCI-e entry level cards over the past couple of months I am somewhat changing my thinking or, at least, broadening my thinking and opinion. These cards can do the job given the right settings and tweaking. My experience in HL2, DoomIII, and COR using the 6200 and 6600 have been good at resolutions limited to 800x600 and 1024x768 respectively. While these cards negate the appropriate use of my P225f it is of no consequence since I have a 6800GT for 16x12, and higher, use with the 22-inch monitor.

SigmaOrionis
02-13-05, 02:22 PM
Well you did all you could to steer him the right way. Now I would just tell him he got a nice rig and leave it alone. People dont like being told they got ripped off or didnt choose the best configuration.

Look on the brightside he is not gonna be processor limited at the resolutions he can play at. He can always upgrade the video later.

I've got a friend who didnt feel comfortable with building his own comp and always went with Dell. I helped him pick out parts and walked him through building his own 2 years ago. Now he loves it and is always upgrading and building new comps.

Riptide
02-13-05, 02:38 PM
Well if he's happy he's happy. If not he can return it within 30 days. I think that's Dell's policy.

MustangSVT
02-13-05, 02:55 PM
Yes, well you know how it is. You put another part in it, the warranty is void Lol. I also wonder what drivers Dell put on there. Who knows, they could've just put like 61.77 or some other crazy old driver. :eek:

Kojiro
02-13-05, 03:03 PM
You forget that dell does not make any PC hardware. They only make peripherals like printers, monitors, etc. Which means they have a contract with an OEM provider. It's at Nvidia spec and that's normal.

What Dell does is package OEM hardware in plain black case and slap DELL on it just as other PC "packagers". What set Dell apart is that they charge more for less. As for waranty, every major electronics store offers warrany. It just a matter whether you want to mail or drive your PC back for repairs.
waranty repairs (in general, no matter who you go to) totaly take advantage of the ignorant masses since they replace defective hardware with a even cheaper refurbished generic hardware as replacements.

If your not ignorant, then building your own PC is best. But for those who are, just be carefull.

Riptide
02-13-05, 03:07 PM
Dell uses something wierd for motherboards though. They won't fit in a standard case and you can't just put any old motherboard in a Dell tower either, ATX or not.

Rytr
02-13-05, 03:26 PM
I thought everything was re-badged OEM components.

Roliath
02-13-05, 06:46 PM
Dell uses something wierd for motherboards though. They won't fit in a standard case and you can't just put any old motherboard in a Dell tower either, ATX or not.
Same with there PSU's, so that "could" limit the topic starters' friend when/if he upgrades his Vid card.