PDA

View Full Version : nv5 rev2?

Pages : [1] 2

mike2h
02-13-05, 10:57 PM
i have beeh considering a nv5 for my gig6800gt.
arctic cooling lists the nv5 for 6800 & the nv5rev2 for gt & ultra.
the sites i have checked out so far list nv5 for 6800, gt, & ultra. with no rev2 vers. what is the diff between the 2? & how do you tell?
any help appreciated.

einstein_314
02-14-05, 12:32 AM
I wasn't aware there was a 2nd revision. Well, the original ones did have crappy screws that broke off if tightened too tight but they fixed that. Maybe that's what the revision 2 is? From what I understand, the NV5 fits all 6800 cards, 6800NU, GT and ultra. Just with the ultra, you have to mod the back plate to allow the NV5 to exhaust.

bkswaney
02-14-05, 12:36 AM
http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=40

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=74

Yep... It seems there is a Rev 1 and 2 now.
I guess I have a 1 on a GT.

Anyone know what the deal is??
Someone needs to contact AC and see what the difference is.

bkswaney
02-14-05, 12:38 AM
Rev 1 and 2 shown.
They look the same to me. :confused:

bkswaney
02-14-05, 12:40 AM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=10270

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=10271

1337_Like_ThaT
02-14-05, 12:43 AM
Maybe with the new revision compatible for Gt's and Ultras, they've made it possible to actually install an arctic cooler on an ultra without having to mod the mounting bracket on the ultra, or at I hope that's what they've done...

jAkUp
02-14-05, 12:47 AM
Yea I hope so too. Cause if they did, I want 2 of them!

tret
02-14-05, 01:16 AM
I just ordered two NV5's a couple weeks ago and they came with a 6800 GT style bracket to use for ultra's, so no need to modify original PCI slot backplate on Ultra. Most likely this is the difference, I have a NV5 on a 6800 GT card that I have had since last summer and it came with just the vented bracket. The added 1 slot bracket is the only new thing that I can see.

tret

wshadow
02-14-05, 01:22 AM
cool, my gt is safe then

mike2h
02-14-05, 01:29 AM
the bracket sounds like it is the difference.
was wondering about fan output have heard many different versions on what people are getting from their nv5's. curious if that was part of the rev.

jAkUp
02-14-05, 01:32 AM
Oh yea thats right... tret your cards are dual DVI right? Mine should work find then.

Clay
02-14-05, 01:35 AM
I'm wrapping up a review of this right now actually. Should have it posted here on the site sometime tomorrow.

I've run into some of the same questions/discrepancies between what is listed on the website and what I see on the product. For example, the website has the fan on the Rev. 2 listed as 2000RPM while the package states 2500RPM.

I'm reviewing this on a BFG 6800 Ultra AGP.

The screws seem to be very sturdy. And yes, there are two backplates. One is an exhaust grill that simply mounts to the case as any backplate would. The second is what you use to replace the stock backplate on a 6800 Ultra.

Clay
02-14-05, 01:39 AM
There is also a difference in weight. The original NV 5 is 12 grams heavier than this new Rev. 2 version.

bkswaney
02-14-05, 02:02 AM
Thanx for the heads up Clay. :D

1337_Like_ThaT
02-14-05, 02:04 AM
Good stuff Good stuff. Go arctic cooling.!! wo0t wo0t :D

Darkoz
02-14-05, 05:57 AM
The difference with the NV5 revision 2 silencer is that it now has thermal pads for the memory chips on the copper heatsink base, instead of the raised copper area that covered the memory chips.

s-flow
02-14-05, 11:52 AM
The difference with the NV5 revision 2 silencer is that it now has thermal pads for the memory chips on the copper heatsink base, instead of the raised copper area that covered the memory chips.

Sounds good for the average user but if the raised copper is removed down to the base plate there will be way to much room for using a termal paste.

I had to sand the memory plates down to half the hight to make perfect
touch to the core and memory on my NV5 revision 1.

Maybe the thermal pads are good enough but
Im sure a lot of enthusiasts would like some good paste for both core
and memory though.

GuOD
02-14-05, 11:57 AM
I personally don't like my NV5 rev1 and I just ordered a Zalman vf700. From what I've read it's both quieter AND better than the NV5. I also think having seperate ram covers instead of the one big poorly shaped NV5 plate is better too.

I won't be installing it for another week probably so I'll post my review after that.

mike2h
02-14-05, 12:22 PM
I'm wrapping up a review of this right now actually. Should have it posted here on the site sometime tomorrow.

I've run into some of the same questions/discrepancies between what is listed on the website and what I see on the product. For example, the website has the fan on the Rev. 2 listed as 2000RPM while the package states 2500RPM.

I'm reviewing this on a BFG 6800 Ultra AGP.

The screws seem to be very sturdy. And yes, there are two backplates. One is an exhaust grill that simply mounts to the case as any backplate would. The second is what you use to replace the stock backplate on a 6800 Ultra.
looking forward to your review!

mike2h
02-14-05, 12:29 PM

not sure which one i prefer. given how cool the mem runs not sore if the pads are an issue. where did you find that out? the pix at arctic cooler do not show that. unfortunatley they use the same pix for both vers.
i am still trying to find out how you tell the diff when ordering & if it really matters. hopefully clays review will clear this up.

Clay
02-14-05, 12:47 PM
I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying. So bear with me here. :) When I think of "thermal pads" I think of the white/fiber/paste material that is applied on many stock solutions. This is not the case with the NV 5 Rev. 2. Below is a picture to illustrate. As you can see, there are copper memory "pads" that are soldered onto the existing copper base. In my case, these pads were far too thick as there was very poor contact with my GPU. They also appeared to be uneven. I can appreciate how difficult it must be to manufactur a HSF of these nature that will match up with any 6800 Ultra or GT. Even the cards themselves can have slight variances in the height from one memory module to the other. So, I'm not all that upset with the initial poor contact. Things like this usually require some tweaking and after doing quite a bit myself I was very happy with the end result. The review should be posted tonight or tomorrow morning at the latest.

http://www.nvnews.net/temp/clay/poorcontact.jpg

monkeydust
02-14-05, 01:12 PM
I've got two of these showing up tomorrow for my SLI system since the current fans are far too loud. I hope they work out well.

circuitbreaker8
02-14-05, 01:36 PM
I've owned the Arctic VGA silencer for my 9800 Pro. Many people on Rage3d would complain about the VGA silencer frying their card or their temps sucked. I've owned the NV5 Silencer(6800GT), same responces. Now I own the ATi Silencer for my X800XT and people are still complaining. I never ran into ANY problems installing these coolers, I think its mostly user error.

NemesisChild
02-14-05, 07:23 PM
I have about a 1/4" gap between the NV5 exhaust vent and the exhaust grill backplate, is this normal? It seems to vent the warm away adequately out the back of my rig, but I was curious about this gap. I recently installed an NV4 on an FX5900 and there is no gap whatsoever, it fits almost flush against the exhaust grill backplate.

jAkUp
02-14-05, 07:26 PM
yes the gap is normal