PDA

View Full Version : Fitting 6800GT in Antec Sonata

GuOD
02-14-05, 12:37 PM
my pci slot backplates have little border things that keep the backplates in place, and my 6800GT backplate piece won't properly fit into the slot (part of it bends back/out). Is this normal or do I have to smash it in or somehting?

ViN86
02-14-05, 02:52 PM
that tab doesnt go inside the slot (on the 6800gt). the face of the 6800gt plate (has DVI and d-sub connections) should be flush with the inside of the case. i have an antec sonata, and my 6800gt fits nicely. it is pretty long though.

btw, i cant really visualize your problem. more specifics/diagrams/pictures plz? :o

Lil Sassy
02-14-05, 04:39 PM
Is this normal or do I have to smash it in or somehting?
Smash it!!! Smash it!!!! :D

Seriously, nothing should have to be forced. Take a closer look at your case and make sure there is nothing bent out at the rear or in the way of the card's bracket.

It should line up and slide right in with good, firm pressure. it should seat all the way into the slot.

GuOD
02-14-05, 04:39 PM
that tab doesnt go inside the slot (on the 6800gt). the face of the 6800gt plate (has DVI and d-sub connections) should be flush with the inside of the case. i have an antec sonata, and my 6800gt fits nicely. it is pretty long though.

btw, i cant really visualize your problem. more specifics/diagrams/pictures plz? :o

the back slot with the DVI/vga and svideo does not fit into my sonata slot. it's too wide and the bottom side pops out because of the little bump coming out of the insideback of sonata case between pci backplates. I've tried putting it in many times but it just won't fit.,

Acid Rain
02-14-05, 05:03 PM
the back slot with the DVI/vga and svideo does not fit into my sonata slot. it's too wide and the bottom side pops out because of the little bump coming out of the insideback of sonata case between pci backplates. I've tried putting it in many times but it just won't fit.,
Can you remove the bump somehow? Dremel tool?

GuOD
02-14-05, 09:27 PM
Can you remove the bump somehow? Dremel tool?

The bumps are supposed to be there. There's little raised bumps inbetween each PCI backplate slot. Most things fit in fine (audigy was tight) but the 6800GT backplate is wider than a normal pci backplate and thus doesn't fit. I tried searching but I can't find any pictures of the interior case.

http://www.antec.com/productImageBack.php?ProdID=15138

If you look carefully at that picture, you can see indents from the back between each slot (right side). Those protrude into the case and make the slto too narrow for my 6800gt

Lil Sassy
02-14-05, 10:17 PM
If you look carefully at that picture, you can see indents from the back between each slot (right side). Those protrude into the case and make the slto too narrow for my 6800gt
What brand of 6800? Not that it helps you, but I am curious.

NightFire
02-14-05, 10:21 PM
You could always try getting a new case.

einstein_314
02-14-05, 10:28 PM
Hmmm, that's weird. My brother has the sonota and a 6800GT. I don't recall him having this problem. I think I'll contact him and see what his was like.

GuOD
02-14-05, 10:59 PM
What brand of 6800? Not that it helps you, but I am curious.

BFG

the backplate is noticbly larger than standard backplate. the NV5 backplate fits fine and my audigy fits tightly, it's just the 6800GT

Lil Sassy
02-14-05, 11:09 PM
Hmmm...
Well, just get the best fit, don't tighten it too much, just snug, and make sure the pins on the card are seated adequately.

Good luck.

photophreak314
02-15-05, 12:33 AM
no problems here, and I have a sonata + 6800GT (chaintech). I think it's your card.

1337_Like_ThaT
02-15-05, 02:04 AM
AWWWw, I love the Antec Sonata case, I built my gf's computer around it. Silent, beautiful black color, and easy to work with. I installed a Leadtek TI4600 in her system (and those are just about the same size of a 6800GT) and it fit with no problems at all, so something must be defective if it still does not fit after so many tries

Lfctony
02-15-05, 04:21 AM
Just push the metal a bit back. I had to do that with my 6800U.

ViN86
02-15-05, 11:05 AM

now i know exactly what youre talking about. i had the same problem with some of my PCI cards. what i did was remove the brackets around the slot i wanted to use. i found the screws were clunky and got in the way. then i took a screwdriver and bent those little extrusions away from the card slot.

you dont have to pry hard on them. after that, put in your vid card and put the two slot brackets back in. if you cant get the brackets back in, you could try just removing the screws and bending the extrusions while the bracket is still in. just remember not to be too forceful, and that the bracket will be stuck in there if you bend the extrusion toward it, heh.

if those extrusions are preventing the nv5/card backplate from being flush with the inside of the case, i would get a nail punch and a hammer and carefully tap them so they go through to the other side and the inside is smooth.

Gentle
02-15-05, 12:02 PM
If someone else doesn't quite "get it"...

Here's a photo of the case...

http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q1/antec-sonata/bigfan.jpg

The slot has little guides that keep everything lined up.

Gentle

P.S. If you want to find an image, try using Google Images... I had found a nicer picture, but it was huge.

ViN86
02-15-05, 01:53 PM
hope my post prior to this one cleared things up :cool:

GuOD
02-15-05, 02:31 PM
hope my post prior to this one cleared things up :cool:

Yah. I'm going to try just pushing those indents to the outside.. I personally don't care if they aren't perfectly aligned i'd rather have it fit properly.

Marcos
02-16-05, 07:00 AM
i like 100mm fans