PDA

View Full Version : Random Crash in Windows and a Problem In Linux...

BoltAction
02-14-05, 07:11 PM
Sometimes while playing Half-Life 2 or Unreal Tournament 2004 in Windows the game will crash with a BSOD saying that my video device is stuck in an infinite loop and that the DLL nv4_disp is to blame. Also, In Linux when I run "glxgears" it will display about 8000 FPS and then X will freeze. This just started happening about a week ago because I have successfully played and beaten Half-Life 2 and many other games without even encountering this error. I haven't messed with anything in my BIOS or with my RAM but I did get a new Hard Drive about a month ago but still, everything was working. Perhaps my video card isn't receiving enough power with the new HDD. The e-VGA e-GeForce 6800 only requires a 300 Watt PSU and I have a 350. I also cleaned out all the dust in my computer. My specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon XP 2500+
Abit NF7-S v2
512 MB Kingston ValueRAM
e-VGA e-GeForce 6800 not OCed.
WD 80 GB HDD
WD 120 GB HDD

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: I have also tried two different drivers and the problem still remains. I used the 66.93's for a long time and I tried the 67.66 a few days ago.

EDIT 2: I just let memtest run through 6 passes and it found zero errors so I highly doubt that it's my RAM.

BoltAction
02-15-05, 04:06 PM
Bump, please any help is appreciated.

Gator
02-15-05, 04:18 PM
Bump, please any help is appreciated.

Post in the Linux section for Linux questions:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14

I see you have Windows issues too. UT2k4 crashes when using a GF6 card, XP-SP2, and the 6x.xx drivers. You may need to upgrade to the 71.xx drivers, I know I had to.

ViN86
02-15-05, 04:19 PM
any heat issues with the card? a lot of heat could cause memory errors which could be an underlying problem.

also, it seems his problem is with the card, not the OS. he tried multiple drivers, but keeps getting the same result.

Gator
02-15-05, 04:22 PM
...The e-VGA e-GeForce 6800 only requires a 300 Watt PSU and I have a 350...

That doesn't mean anything. The power on the PSU rails can make a difference too, not just the wattage. What brand and model of PSU do you have. 350w is pretty conservative for a 6800 anyway, despite what your card maker requirements claim.

BoltAction
02-16-05, 07:37 AM
I'm using the PSU that came with my Raidmax case so it probably isn't the best. Temperatures are at 53 C normal. I am going to go to a friend's house and try out his 430 Watt PSU this weekend.

Gator
02-16-05, 08:10 AM
I'm using the PSU that came with my Raidmax case so it probably isn't the best. Temperatures are at 53 C normal. I am going to go to a friend's house and try out his 430 Watt PSU this weekend.

Did you try updating to the 71.xx driver series yet? It might just fix your problem.

And Raidmax PSU's are not known to have the most reliable or powerful rails, so that may be the problem. Obviously don't overclock since that takes more juice, and try disconnecting any unneeded devices that might be sucking power away from the video card.

BoltAction
02-16-05, 03:58 PM
Did you try updating to the 71.xx driver series yet? It might just fix your problem.

And Raidmax PSU's are not known to have the most reliable or powerful rails, so that may be the problem. Obviously don't overclock since that takes more juice, and try disconnecting any unneeded devices that might be sucking power away from the video card.
Yeah, I haven't overclocked. Okay, I'll look into purchasing a new one. Any recommendations?