PDA

View Full Version : BFG 6800GT, 1600x1200 and Far Cry Issue

rickshobbies
02-15-05, 11:21 AM
OK, I'm sick and can not be held responsible for rational thought! I wasn't thinking of Far Cry. The problem is with Half Life 2! :rolleyes:

I just purchased a Dell 2001fp for my BFG 6800GT to talk to and they are playing nicely together :)

I noticed a strange thing in Half Life 2 and I wanted to see if anyone else has noticed it. The native resolution for the 2001fp is 1600x1200. I had never played Half Life 2 at that res before, and surprisingly enough, it's quite playable at that res and looks sweet! What I noticed, though, is that the "ammo counter" doesn't display corrently. I only see a small portion of the upper left corner of the little box that shows the ammo left. You can see it change as you fire, but you have no idea what the number is. All other indicators seem normal.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a fix?

Regards,

Rick

GuOD
02-15-05, 12:28 PM
I just purchased a Dell 2001fp for my BFG 6800GT to talk to and they are playing nicely together :)

I noticed a strange thing in Far Cry and I wanted to see if anyone else has noticed it. The native resolution for the 2001fp is 1600x1200. I had never played Far Cry at that res before, and surprisingly enough, it's quite playable at that res and looks sweet! What I noticed, though, is that the "ammo counter" doesn't display corrently. I only see a small portion of the upper left corner of the little box that shows the ammo left. You can see it change as you fire, but you have no idea what the number is. All other indicators seem normal.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a fix? I am running the 1.3 patch.

Regards,

Rick

It runs fine at 1680x1050 for me which is similar but less tall. Have you tried patch 1.31 or reinstalling? Also try resetting video mode from one mode to another?

Gentle
02-15-05, 12:42 PM
I've never used an LCD monitor, so if this is a really stupid suggestion, don't go yelling at me.

Can you use the monitor's screen adjustment menu to get what you want on the screen?

Gentle

rickshobbies
02-15-05, 01:26 PM
An LCD doesn't require any screen geometry adjustments the way a CRT does. That's one of the things I like about LCDs. Always square and true :)

To be more clear, the problem isn't that the ammo counter is off the side of the screen. It's that it's just not being drawn properly. It only draws a small portion of the ammo counter box.

I didn't know that there was a patch 1.31. I thought it was just 1.3. Where did you see 1.31?

Thanks,

Rick

GuOD
02-15-05, 01:28 PM
An LCD doesn't require any screen geometry adjustments the way a CRT does. That's one of the things I like about LCDs. Always square and true :)

To be more clear, the problem isn't that the ammo counter is off the side of the screen. It's that it's just not being drawn properly. It only draws a small portion of the ammo box.

I didn't know that there was a patch 1.31. I thought it was just 1.3. Where did you see 1.31?

Thanks,

Rick

Believe it's on Ubisoft.com

I'm not sure if it changes that bug you're experiencing because it's mostly a mutliplay patch but if not you could try uninstall/reinstalling the game and see if it fixes.

rickshobbies
02-15-05, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Tried switching video modes but it didn't work. Found the patch. I am going to apply it and see what happens.

I was thinking that this might be a video driver bug. Has anyone else tried Far Cry at 1600 x 1200 and have experienced this?

rickshobbies
02-15-05, 02:47 PM
OK, I corrected my post above, but just to further add insult to injury, I will reiterate. The problem was not with Far Cry, but with Half Life 2. The ammo counter in Half Life 2 at 1600x1200 is not rendering properly.

Thanks to everyone to has attempted to help thus far, but I still have the problem in Half Life 2 at 1600x1200. I don't want to lower the res since it plays well and it's the native res for my LCD.

I do have an issue with Far Cry though. Even with mouse smoothing turned off, there appears to be slight motion blur in Far Cry that I don't notice in any other game. I noticed it on my CRT, but it's more noticable with the LCD. I don't think it's ghosting, at least not in the traditional sense. Maybe the effect is intentional?

Anyway, sorry for the mix-up! I played several games with the new CRT last night. Stayed up late and was sick, so my brain was offline! :D