PDA

View Full Version : Naive question about AA/AF and game profiles

Gator
02-15-05, 11:55 AM
Forgive my ignorance here, but I was just wondering how can I know for sure if a game profile is working? This feature is kind of new for me since I really couldn't use AA/AF before now. And obviously I want different games to have different settings.

Is there a definitive way to know if your AA/AF are actively working in a game and at the settings you specified without using the Global setting?

Gentle
02-15-05, 12:23 PM
Well, you can test it. If you set the anisotropic filtering to 2x and then to 8x, you will notice a difference.

Or, turn anisotropic filtering off, and then turn it to 2x or 8x or something. You should see a noticeable difference with any level of anisotropic filtering.

The effect is this. As you look into the distance in a game, if you have anisotropic filtering, the screen stays sharp. If you do not (or are using lower amounts) it starts to look fuzzy or "muddy" looking.

Gentle

dpagan
02-15-05, 12:24 PM
i recomend using Antialiasing for your test since it's easier to spot

Gentle
02-15-05, 12:27 PM
For me, anisotropic filtering would be easier. I don't pay attention to the edges of things most of the time. But looking at sharp textures getting less sharp as the distance increases, I notice that.

I am sure there are pros and cons for either method though.

Gentle

dpagan
02-15-05, 01:01 PM
you know this past week since i've been without a card, i 've been playing my ps2 more and now the aliasing isn't as anoying as before but texture quality and sharness is something i've have always had to have and thats where the ps2 loses points in my book

Gator
02-15-05, 02:09 PM
Well, you can test it. If you set the anisotropic filtering to 2x and then to 8x, you will notice a difference.

Or, turn anisotropic filtering off, and then turn it to 2x or 8x or something. You should see a noticeable difference with any level of anisotropic filtering.

The effect is this. As you look into the distance in a game, if you have anisotropic filtering, the screen stays sharp. If you do not (or are using lower amounts) it starts to look fuzzy or "muddy" looking.

Gentle

Would screen captures also be an effective way to test if it's working?

OWA
02-15-05, 02:15 PM
Yeah, that should work.

You could also try settings like 8xAA in a newer game to see if it cuts the framerate by a lot (probaby half).

You could also play with the color profiles and make the gamma really dark or light, digital vibrance cranked all the way, etc. to see if those settings get applied (it'll be really obvious) when the game starts.

saumilsingh
02-15-05, 02:57 PM
Actually if you feel the need to make sure a profile is working, meaning you can't tell with your eyes right awa; then there's really no need to use aa/af at all, enjoy the blazing performance.

OWA
02-15-05, 08:32 PM
Actually if you feel the need to make sure a profile is working, meaning you can't tell with your eyes right awa; then there's really no need to use aa/af at all, enjoy the blazing performance.
I think part of it is knowing what to look for though. I remember a while back, around the GF4 timeframe, I was using the fast mip-map option and thought it looked just as good as the quality settings. I didn't notice a difference until someone pointed out the difference in the turf in Madden. Once I saw it, it was really obvious and from that point on I started using the quality settings.

Gator
02-16-05, 07:03 AM
Well crap. The good news is I can clearly tell when AA/AF is working now, the picture is sharper and the frame rates go down a bit. The bad news is my profile system doesn't appear to be working. I saved a sceme for UT2004.EXE, so everytime I launch UT2004.EXE should the correct profile load and using the AA/AF setting I want? Or am I suppose to manually click the UT2004 profile from the Nvidia display properties before I play the game every time?

Using driver 71.25

OWA
02-16-05, 07:26 AM
Once you have it set, it should start automatically when you launch the game. I'm not sure if mine is working either. It appears to have something to do with trying to change a profile that is already there but hidden. You may want to check out the nHancer tool. It may (I'm not sure) allow you to change the hidden profiles. I had an issue last night trying to add a profile for 3DMark05 but after trying to do so, it would never appear. I just now remembered to check the nvapps.xml file (in \windows\system32) and found there was a hidden profile for 3DMark05 so I'm thinking that is why I couldn't add one. There are bunch there now that are hidden, I guess to handle the SLI stuff. UT2004 is also one that is hidden (at least in the 71.81s that I'm using). Maybe that is why you're having a problem also. You can view the file by going to the \windows\system32 directory and using wordpad to view the nvapps.xml file. Notepad doesn't keep the formatting intact.

saturnotaku
02-16-05, 07:47 AM
nHancer works wonders for me. I think I was running into similar issues with certain games created using NVIDIA's system. But since using that tweaker, everything has been peachy.

Gator
02-16-05, 08:01 AM
nHancer works wonders for me. I think I was running into similar issues with certain games created using NVIDIA's system. But since using that tweaker, everything has been peachy.

I think I'll try it tonight, thanks. I was under the impression that nHancer was primarily an SLI tool, but if you say it's prefect for customizing AA/AF profiles automatically then I'll definetly check it out. And if I recall it doesn't use any memory either, it just edits the nvapps.xml file, correct?

OWA
02-16-05, 11:12 AM
It'll show you the SLI stuff but for those of us without SLI, the options are just ignored.

Right, it doesn't stay resident.

See here for more info on it:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45204

Gator
02-16-05, 10:00 PM
Wow, that nHancer program is so much easier to use than the Nvidia control panel. I love it! Now I can easily customize all my game profiles and they take affect automatically.

Thanks for your help everyone, I'm very happy now :)