PDA

View Full Version : Can I use thermal padding on ram for NV5?

Marcos
02-15-05, 02:06 PM
I dont want to have to file any unbalanced copper down or whatnot I saw these foamy looking thermal pads @ compJSA and I was wondering if I can use them to make contact between the (always seem to be out of place) copper ram sinks and the ram on the 6800gt? I dont want to pry my card apart and **** it up. :confused:

jAkUp
02-15-05, 02:20 PM
Yes, but if you can get AS5 to make good contact, AS5 is superior at thermal conductivity.

That was my most intelligent post of the day :D

NemesisChild
02-15-05, 04:38 PM
Yes, but if you can get AS5 to make good contact, AS5 is superior at thermal conductivity.

That was my most intelligent post of the day :D

LOL

AS5 for the GPU only!!!

1337_Like_ThaT
02-15-05, 04:41 PM
Artic Silver 5 should be used in this kind of situation, you dont' want to use those tampons CompUSA has...Be aware of the great stickiness and mess AS5 makes though... :(

...Also when working with your 6800 video card, please be sure not to cause any accidents with semen and your video card ;)

Clay
02-15-05, 04:45 PM
I dont want to have to file any unbalanced copper down or whatnot I saw these foamy looking thermal pads @ compJSA and I was wondering if I can use them to make contact between the (always seem to be out of place) copper ram sinks and the ram on the 6800gt? I dont want to pry my card apart and **** it up. :confused:
Well, here's the thing... if your memory pads are already too "thick" (meaning that they're causing the copper to make poor contact with your GPU) then adding thermal pads will only add to the thickness and thus potentially cause even poorer/less contact with your GPU. I would not use any AS5 on or around memory chips. There's a chance for conductivity. Stick with something like Ceramique which is totally non-conductive.

Marcos
02-16-05, 06:56 AM
thanks alot guys i guess im just gonna have to deal with the filing down.
(lol at calling them tampons thats a good one :D )

I heard that as5 on the ram will cause some sort of electric conduction phenomenon that i dont quite understand so like ya'll said ill just get the ceramic ****.

...Also when working with your 6800 video card, please be sure not to cause any accidents with semen and your video card

Thanks for the concern, but I have a PNY Verto and im not gay, maybe if i had a reference cooler..... ;)

Clay
02-16-05, 08:05 AM
I heard that as5 on the ram will cause some sort of electric conduction phenomenon that i dont quite understand so like ya'll said ill just get the ceramic ****.Here's more info on this topic:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm
Caution:
While much safer than silver greases engineered for high electrical conductivity, Arctic Silver thermal compound should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. The compound is slightly capacitive and could cause problems if it bridged two close-proximity electrical paths.

Even though Arctic Silver thermal compound is specifically engineered for high electrical resistance, you should keep the compound away from processor, memory, and motherboard traces and pins. There is a possibility that dust or metal particles and/or shavings carried by the airflow inside the computer case could contaminate the compound and increase its electrical conductivity.

Electronic Punk
02-22-05, 03:00 AM
Gonna follow this site's review and use as5 for the cpu and ceramique for the memory.

Gonna get my file ready :D

Fatman
02-22-05, 01:44 PM
I took thermal pads off my card, and went with AS5. Thermal pads that came with the card are just plain scarry. Phase change my @$$...

Electronic Punk
02-22-05, 03:43 PM
You used AS5 on the memory?

Clay
02-22-05, 05:11 PM
Some people do use AS5 on their memory. I don't recommend it, but to each his own. The likelihood of something getting fouled up aren't very likely. I don't see the sense in risking it though when it's just memory (not as hot running as the GPU) and Ceramique is completely non-conductive...just leaves me with more AS5 for my GPUs and CPUs. :)

jolle
02-22-05, 05:17 PM
yeah get any AS5 on the card itself (by mistake or "overflowing" if the layer is too thick) and your in potentially big trouble..
You dont wash of silver dust easy, its not as simple as wiping it off since the particles are microscopic..

Electronic Punk
02-22-05, 05:26 PM
Noted and just as well really, as it was the ceramique kinda stuff that came with the cooler that ended up getting all over :D

Fatman
02-23-05, 09:23 AM
You used AS5 on the memory?

Yep.

s-flow
02-23-05, 02:56 PM
I use AS5 with my NV5 on BOTH memory and core, no problem.
As I read the intructions you should only be worried about AS5 on
traces and pins..

But of course you should be carefull and donīt apply to much.

The need for a thermal pad should be on the core, thatīs where the
large gap usually is with NV5.

Clay
02-23-05, 03:32 PM
The need for a thermal pad should be on the core, thatīs where the large gap usually is with NV5.QFT