PDA

View Full Version : Leadtek 6800: 2 games force computer restart

brewster66
02-16-05, 12:56 AM
The two games that came with my new Leadtek 6800 crash the computer and force it into an automatic restart. The two games are "Prince of Persia, the Sands of Time" and "Splinter Cell"

These games only crash when you hit the "quit" button, otherwise they play fine.

Any other games when clicking "quit" do not crash the computer. Doom3 plays fine, no crash on quit.

This is a new custom built computer.

Specs:
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, nForce4-SLI chipset
Athlon 64 3500 + (not overcloked)
1Gb RAM.

Any ideas, this just seems really strange.

Also:
What do people think of WinFox. It seems like it's bloatware and I uninstalled it, I was getting a DLL error when the computer started but it went away now that I uninstalled it.

-- Dan

rohit
02-16-05, 06:13 AM
i donno wy u getting errors on those games, i think u should re-install those games. (maybe a registry problem)

About Winfox2 : im using it, its fine. i basically use for keeping an eye on the temps, and the LIVING UPDATE feature on it is pretty helpfull in getting latest drivers.
i really dont understand wy r u getting the dll error on it.

u have sli mobo, so do u have 2 cards, maybe thats the reason you r getting the error on winfox. try getting latest version (if you want to use it.)

or else try re-installing windows.

Fotis
02-16-05, 07:25 AM
I have the same problem and I've tried every patch and driver with no result. :(

Head_slinger
02-16-05, 07:38 AM
I had the exact same problems with my leadtek and games.

The fix is to disable DEP on your athlon 64.

Head_slinger
02-16-05, 07:42 AM
You can disable DEP entirely by going into the boot.ini file and changing NoExecute=OptIn to /NoExecute=AlwaysOff

Gator
02-16-05, 08:39 AM
Instead of disabling DEP which is a pretty cool feature in my opinion... you can simply remove the driver completely and do a fresh install of the 71.25 or higher drivers. I didn't know it affected other games, but I do know the using the 6x.xx drivers with XP-SP2 and A64 will cause UT2004 to crash and reboot the PC. By updating the drivers my problem was solved.

saturnotaku
02-16-05, 08:44 AM
Instead of disabling DEP which is a pretty cool feature in my opinion... you can simply remove the driver completely and do a fresh install of the 71.25 or higher drivers. I didn't know it affected other games, but I do know the using the 6x.xx drivers with XP-SP2 and A64 will cause UT2004 to crash and reboot the PC. By updating the drivers my problem was solved.

I can attest to this working as well. A lot of folks are having pretty good success with the recently leaked 71.81 drivers (see Forceware drivers forum for details/download links). Been playing UT2004 with no problems at all and those drivers.

brewster66
02-16-05, 08:51 AM
Thanks everyone for your help. The Windows XP Pro SP 2 install is brand new on a newly formated NTFS ATA disk so I can't imagine that would be the problem.

Gator:
When you say 71.25 drivers, where do I get those? From Leadtek's site or Nvidia? I already had uninstalled Leadtek's and got the latest drivers from NVidia's site but I think the version is 66.93

Head_slinger:
What is DEP? I know how to get into boot.ini but just wondering what DEP is?

So is WinFox the best utilty to keep tabs on the 6800 card or is there a native NVidia utilty?

-- Dan

saturnotaku
02-16-05, 08:55 AM
Gator:
When you say 71.25 drivers, where do I get those? From Leadtek's site or Nvidia? I already had uninstalled Leadtek's and got the latest drivers from NVidia's site but I think the version is 66.93

They're available at any number of sites around the web. However, if you play Half-Life2, the 71.25 drivers are buggy in that game. I suggest either 71.20 or 71.81, both of which are available for download at places like www.guru3d.com or www.laptopvideo2go.com (my favorite mirror).

What is DEP? I know how to get into boot.ini but just wondering what DEP is?

Data execution prevention. It's the built-in "anti-virus" solution that's present in the Athlon 64 CPU. It's kind of a nice peace of mind feature that I like keeping enabled. If you want more details (google) is your friend.

So is WinFox the best utilty to keep tabs on the 6800 card or is there a native NVidia utilty?

Define "keep tabs on." What are you looking to do?

brewster66
02-16-05, 08:59 AM
Define "keep tabs on." What are you looking to do?
I just meant monitor the temperature and speed or if I want to overclock the card or if that's not a good idea? (Obviously, I am new to all this stuff...)

brewster66
02-16-05, 09:02 AM
They're [the drivers] available at any number of sites around the web. However, if you play Half-Life2, the 71.25 drivers are buggy in that game. I suggest either 71.20 or 71.81Ok, I'll try some of those drivers. I won't be at that machine for another few days but I'll post back with the results.

saturnotaku
02-16-05, 09:03 AM
I just meant monitor the temperature and speed or if I want to overclock the card or if that's not a good idea?

NVIDIA's drivers have a built-in temperature monitor that's accessible via the control panel. There's also an overclocking utility, but it's hidden. You need to obtain the Coolbits registry key to enable it. If you do a search in the Forceware driver forum you'll find everything you need.

brewster66
02-16-05, 09:05 AM
NVIDIA's drivers have a built-in temperature monitor that's accessible via the control panel. There's also an overclocking utility, but it's hidden. You need to obtain the Coolbits registry key to enable it. If you do a search in the Forceware driver forum you'll find everything you need. Very cool, that's good to know as well! Again, I appreciate all the help!

Head_slinger
02-16-05, 01:03 PM
Personally all DEP has given me is crashes. I dont see the point in running it anyway, its public knowledge that its flawed.

brewster66
02-17-05, 09:09 PM
Personally all DEP has given me is crashes. I dont see the point in running it anyway, its public knowledge that its flawed.Yup, disabling DEP solved the problem immmediately. I am happy with that! Thanks for all the help.