PDA

View Full Version : Zalman VF700 CU

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

jolle
02-16-05, 11:29 AM
I just bought one and slapped it on my Gigabyte 6800GT (replaced the heatpipe cooler).

Idle went from 60c to 36c
Full load went down from 80-90c to 50c
been running RTHDRLIBL now for a good 10 mins sofar and its going back and forth between 49-50 C..

This cooler is IMO kicking ass, atleast compared to the original Gigabyte one, altho It seems it didnt have proper contact with the GPU.
COuldnt fit the VF700 power connector on the board, but they supplied a coverter to Molex so I have it running "full speed" now with 12v all the time, which is inaudible in my case (my PSU is louder then anything in the case hehe)

Havent OCed yet, couldnt really OC at all with the old temps so I might give it a go now..
Installation was easy and didnt present any problems, got heatsinks for the RAM aswell included which are "fanned" by the GPU cooler due to its flower design.

EDIT
first attempt at OC..
Vtuner and Rivatuner arent agreeing on the Clock tho hehe
402/1100 or 399/1104
52c (this OC was 90+ C with the Gigabyte cooler)
http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfolders/upload1/temps.jpg

EDIT.. or update.. or whatever..
Running RTHDRIBL with 420/1146 atm (tried Forcewares "detect frequencies" is that accurate in any way?)
running about 53 C sofar, after about 15 mins..

GuOD
02-16-05, 11:45 AM
I JUST installed my vf700 right now on my BFG 6800gt to replace my NV5. This thing cools BETTER than the NV5 and it's SILENT in silent mode. If I could do it all over again, I would never even consider the NV5 after getting this zalman. It's WAY easier to install/remove and works better.

Before I couldn't overclock that well, but I've got mine up to 420/1170 stable for some rthrtbil tests.

If anyone is considering NV5 v2 don't bother, definitely get the vf700.

I also purchased a fanmate so I can manually contorl the speed outside the computer.. also recommend this =)

Edit: My idle temps are the same as with NV5 (but I have zalamn going at minimum rated @ 5V) but at load the temps are like 4-5C lower

I did my best to make solid contact with NV5 but it just wasn't going to happen.. the core did have pretty good coverage though.

Also, BEFORE with coolbits I would autodetect at 390/1.05

Now with zalman I detect at 415/1.09. Though I can safely pass the tests at 420/1150+ consistently.

toxikneedle
02-16-05, 11:54 AM
402/1100 is the same as 399/1104, they are just diferent readings or corrected clocks, but there is no diference

noko
02-16-05, 06:05 PM
Sounds good, looks like this weekend I will take the plunge and order one from Newegg. Any other places out there that I can order from?

ViN86
02-16-05, 06:44 PM
how do the ram heatsinks work? does it work as well passively cooled as the NV5 does with the 1 piece heatsink with a fan on it?

i would think it cools the core better though. those heatsink designs are awesome.

adpr 02
02-16-05, 07:09 PM
I can't WAIT until my local vendor shipps them. my 6600gt is driving me NUTS 40dba in my silent pc. also it is running freagging HOT!! :mad: 36C idle/60C load :eek: I really need a cooler if I want to reach my goal OC of 650/1300 :rolleyes: . now I have it at 600/1200 :afro2:

MUYA
02-16-05, 08:09 PM
What concerns me is the lack of cooling apart from alu heat sinks for the memory modules. I would have prefered a cooler which also covered the memory modules too :) to aid O/c'ing of course. Oc course Zalman's aren't for o/c'ing..but...

GuOD
02-16-05, 08:49 PM
What concerns me is the lack of cooling apart from alu heat sinks for the memory modules. I would have prefered a cooler which also covered the memory modules too :) to aid O/c'ing of course. Oc course Zalman's aren't for o/c'ing..but...

My memory overclocks same/better than my NV5 and I had solid memory contact before.

MUYA
02-16-05, 08:55 PM
hmmm ya, even my Leadtek 6800U HSF...doesn't really like overclocking the memory past 1.2ghz or core past 450mhz! :p

Salamandar
02-16-05, 09:00 PM
I just bought one and slapped it on my Gigabyte 6800GT (replaced the heatpipe cooler).

Idle went from 60c to 36c
Full load went down from 80-90c to 50c
been running RTHDRLIBL now for a good 10 mins sofar and its going back and forth between 49-50 C..

This cooler is IMO kicking ass, atleast compared to the original Gigabyte one, altho It seems it didnt have proper contact with the GPU.
COuldnt fit the VF700 power connector on the board, but they supplied a coverter to Molex so I have it running "full speed" now with 12v all the time, which is inaudible in my case (my PSU is louder then anything in the case hehe)

Havent OCed yet, couldnt really OC at all with the old temps so I might give it a go now..
Installation was easy and didnt present any problems, got heatsinks for the RAM aswell included which are "fanned" by the GPU cooler due to its flower design.

EDIT
first attempt at OC..
Vtuner and Rivatuner arent agreeing on the Clock tho hehe
402/1100 or 399/1104
52c (this OC was 90+ C with the Gigabyte cooler)
http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfolders/upload1/temps.jpg

EDIT.. or update.. or whatever..
Running RTHDRIBL with 420/1146 atm (tried Forcewares "detect frequencies" is that accurate in any way?)
running about 53 C sofar, after about 15 mins..

Nice, I used NV5 on my X-heatpiped gigabyte and Overclocking is amazing on this card.

430/1170 :D

P.S. about the temps, I have the same reading as yours on my gigabyte, now every one will say that the readings are not right, but you and me have the same readfings, went from 60 c with the heatpiep to 36 with NV 5
Under loading went from 72 to 46.

Bluekkis
02-17-05, 02:25 AM
VF700-cu is great. I used it to replace my stock cooler (gainward copper one) and essentially cut my whole system noise to half of what it used to be. :D

Heatsink in this, and fan also extends over memory modules so even ramsinks get some airflow.

jolle
02-17-05, 04:35 AM

Acctually due to the flower design, there is quite alot of airflow around the memory modules, the fan blows ONTO the heatsink, passes thru the fins and moves along the card passing over the memory Heatsinks.
Dunno how HOT the memory chips get, but perhaps the heat from the Core is better off on another separate chunk of metal then the memory Chips use.

Im a bit of a chicken when it comes to OCing, being as poor as I am I couldnt hope to replace the card if it dies on me hehe.
So I havent gone any further yet..

Nice, I used NV5 on my X-heatpiped gigabyte and Overclocking is amazing on this card.

430/1170 :D

P.S. about the temps, I have the same reading as yours on my gigabyte, now every one will say that the readings are not right, but you and me have the same readfings, went from 60 c with the heatpiep to 36 with NV 5
Under loading went from 72 to 46.

Those coolers must have been mounted wrong, the tempdifference is totally madness..
When I contacted Gigabyte support they told me not to worry, its normal for the 6800GT to reach up to 100C!
I think what they meant to say its normal for cards with THEIR COOLER, as it wont make proper contact hehe

bkswaney
02-17-05, 04:37 AM
Looks nice.
If I cannot get my temps on down
with my NV5 I'll try one.

The install looks like any jarhead can install it. :)

Darkoz
02-17-05, 07:40 AM

DDR3 memory doesn't run as hot as previous models.
The RAM chips would actually get more cooling with the Zalman than the NV5, as the Zalman provides airflow over the memory heatsinks, something that the NV5 can't do.
I also found that ambient temps. dropped with the Zalman installed, again I'd say because it provides airflow over the whole card and surrounding area.

noko
02-17-05, 03:31 PM
I always doubted having the heatsink connecting the core to the ram chips. In other words the core would heat up the ram chips if the ram chip was close to the core. Especially when you have hot running cores like the NV40 series. I guess heat pipes would preclude that somewhat but still I think it is better to have separate heatsinks for the ram chips.

Salamandar
02-17-05, 07:54 PM
Those coolers must have been mounted wrong, the tempdifference is totally madness..
When I contacted Gigabyte support they told me not to worry, its normal for the 6800GT to reach up to 100C!
I think what they meant to say its normal for cards with THEIR COOLER, as it wont make proper contact hehe

I loved the designed of the heat pipe, I thought it would work great but it didn't!
It looks nice inside the case, but hell I'm an overclocker.
:thumbdwn:

mike2h
02-18-05, 01:36 AM
actually it does work well if you are only going to ultra speeds(which is a nice free oc bty). if you want to get a higher oc that matters & reasonable temps then another cooling system is madatory(for most cards).
the gigabyte solution works very well within its parameters & up to ultra speeds. given how silent it is & being a single slot solution with a nifty led light i still think this card is the best buy out there.
not sure if the euro release cards should be counted in my rec.

RiViN
02-18-05, 02:34 PM
I have not really been happy at all with the performance of my NV5 on my BFG 6800GT. Mainly because I don't have the time or patience to file edges and the like, so I guess I can't really blame the product. However, after reading this thread and some outside reviews, I have ordered a Zalman VF700-Cu in hopes of much less hassle for better performance than my, likely, ill-mounted NV5. If this thread is still active next week I will be sure to post my results when it arrives and I have installed it. I will also be willing to let my NV5 go for a cheap price so if you are interested, feel free to PM me.

SweetLou
02-18-05, 02:35 PM
I have just bought 2 VF700 CU's for my 6800 GT's. I hope they get some nice results!

jolle
02-18-05, 02:43 PM
Mainly because I don't have the time or patience to file edges and the like, so I guess I can't really blame the product.

Are you insane man? no cooler should REQUIRE you to break out your powertools and file it down and mod it, if it doesnt work out of the box YOU CAN BLAME IT.. hehe

But in all fairness the NV5 has a harder task to make 1 block fit both RAM and GPU on the cards from all the different manufacturers..
The Zalman has separate RAM sinks, so it has made it alot easier for itself.
I would expect that to be better, no heattransfer from the hotter GPU, and they are "fanned" by the GPU cooler aswell due the the nature of the "flower" cooler.

koolhonda
02-18-05, 04:19 PM
Sounds good, looks like this weekend I will take the plunge and order one from Newegg. Any other places out there that I can order from?
ZipZoomFly (http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductList.jsp?ThirdCategoryCode=010812&SortBy=B&Brand=ZALMAN) has them in-stock and for less than the egg. I'm tempted to try the AlCu version myself.

SweetLou
02-18-05, 04:56 PM
ZipZoomFly (http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductList.jsp?ThirdCategoryCode=010812&SortBy=B&Brand=ZALMAN) has them in-stock and for less than the egg. I'm tempted to try the AlCu version myself.
This is the cheapest I have found the VF700CU for. I got two from here. They will be here next Tuesday or Wednesday.

http://www.case-mod.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=48&products_id=1188&osCsid=80b9f569b97b485f23d6d2105dc307ce

koolhonda
02-18-05, 05:07 PM
How much was shipping?

SweetLou
02-18-05, 05:20 PM
How much was shipping?
$12 for two day air for me.

mike2h
02-18-05, 07:10 PM
i ordered mine from jab-tech. $29.99 for cu vers