PDA

View Full Version : PNY 6800GT AGP and weird physical differences

moshpit
02-16-05, 11:33 AM
Ok, having read a few reviews of the PNY branded 6800GT, I had finally made my decision to go with it for cost effectiveness and good performance. I had also made my peace with how ugly the card was in it's reviews and the fact that my windowed case would suffer in it's looks for such a basic reference card. A plain green PCB and reference card look was something of a turn off, but the sweet performance for the price was right up my alley so I could live with it.

I headed up to my local Fry's (knowing full well Fry's unreiability, but I lucked out, hehehe) and found what I was looking for pretty easily. Upon inspection of the box before purchase tho, I found the hole in the back of the box designed to show a small portion of the card, and did not at ALL see what I was expecting. A BLUE PCB!!! Well, already, I was happier about this little development and bought the card and took it home. Mind you, the box still looks identical to the box in the reviews, only the card has changed appearance, but even I was unpreppared for the level of differences in the currently shipping cards from the ones reviewed early on. ALOT of extra value has been added to these cards in the year they've been out, unlike most other cards that don't undergo ANY visable changes usually.

Now, to the meat of the issue (and by NO means is this a complaint, this is a HAPPY owner post). First thing, of course, was the blue PCB noticed before opening the package, but upon removing the card from the box, a couple other major changes became quickly obvious. There is now a copper bar running the whole length of the card along the out side edge that seems to add a GREAT deal of additional support to the card against the heavy weight of the OTHER majorly noticable change, the beefier heatsink unit used on it. It's still only a one-slot solution, so it wasn't really expanded upon height-wise, just in the density of the cooling "fins" and the size of the heatpipe running thru it. Everything else SEEMS the same as the review units that I read about, even the overclocking will go to 414 core, 1.12Ghz mem, but I don't run it at that speed cause at 400/1.1 it's MORE then fast enough for every game I have, and I have a bunch I've been throwing at it ;)

One interesting point is that quite a few games I've moved on past have taken on a new enjoyability with this card. Not even counting the newer ones that kickass on this card, like Doom3, Half Life 2, and Farcry, all of which are now even more mind blowing then I thought they already were on my old 9800XT. I'm talking about games like X-2 the Threat and Warhammer 40 DoW. THOSE got the best IQ improvements due to me now being able to pile on some AA/AF at my prefered 1280x1024 res. Most of the games I've gotten in the last couple years have taken on new re-interest and so I'm off to re-explore some of those universes with new sight :D

saturnotaku
02-16-05, 11:39 AM
Do you have any pics of the revised card? It'll be interesting to compare it to the green PCB PNY card I used to have.

But congrats on finding one. The Fry's here in Chicago has always had a consistent supply of them (even BFG 6800 Ultras) so if you couldn't find one at your store, I'm sure they could have had one brought in. Also good to know you're enjoying it so much. They're great cards, the best I've owned since my old Visiontek GeForce3.

Happy gaming!

|MaguS|
02-16-05, 12:16 PM
Ya, This isn't very new. Its been releasing like that for awhile. Some people on HardForum got theres like that, seems to be the next revision of the boards.

Ninjaman09
02-16-05, 01:14 PM
Mine's like that too. It was a nice suprise considering I was expecting a reference design card. :D

moshpit
02-16-05, 05:58 PM
I can appreciate reference design cards, but getting something a little better rarely hurts. Does anybody have any clue what the copper bar running along the side is for besides supporting the cards weight? Copper seems like an expensive choice for a simple support rail. But as some kind of grounding or heat pipe/sink design it could have potential, but I simply cannot fathom the use of copper for the support. It does look REALLY pretty tho...

ViN86
02-16-05, 06:59 PM
yea my card was the same way. i thought i was gonna get an ugly green PCB card, but instead i got a blue PCB card with a sweet chrome heatsink and copper heat pipe. also, got blue LED fans. looks pretty sweet :D

as for your copper bar coming out of the side, i think its the heat pipe.

heres a pic of a 6800NU OC, but it looks exactly the same. the copper heat pipe is on the top ;)
6800 Heatpipe Example (http://us.st7.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/directron_1833_51096005)

moshpit
02-16-05, 10:49 PM
No, I see the heatpipe across the heatsink unit, and it down't make any contact with the large copper bar that runs the whole length of the card down it's side. It's most likely a support bar, but being made of copper, I thought it might be serving as something else too tho.

I don't have the ability to take pics tonite, but I'll see if my bro will loan me his camera tommorow night and I'll get a pic up of it.

Roliath
02-17-05, 12:44 AM
He's talking about a copper support bar, like this.
I got it on my PNY also.
http://img71.exs.cx/img71/6503/1505112ip.th.jpg (http://img71.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img71&image=1505112ip.jpg)

ViN86
02-17-05, 12:49 AM
oh, i guess thats a good idea. those HSF's can get damn heavy and i wouldnt want to crack my card either.

SniperKil
02-17-05, 09:27 AM
whoever was looking for pics of the revised card.. heres one i took a month ago when my card came in

http://sniperkilla.home.comcast.net/P1010127.jpg

http://sniperkilla.home.comcast.net/P1010125.jpg

moshpit
02-17-05, 10:15 AM
YEAH!!! That's it!!! The bar running along the outside edge, wtf is it??? lol :D

Many thanks to you sniperkil!!! You r teh roxxors!!!!

saturnotaku
02-17-05, 10:41 AM
YEAH!!! That's it!!! The bar running along the outside edge, wtf is it??? lol :D

It's like a big, yellow racing stripe on a car. Gives you 25 extra MHz right there. :eek: :p

ew2x4
02-17-05, 12:25 PM
I got that on my 6800 NU as well. I think the ones with it have more pipes unlocked than originally.

RTarget
02-17-05, 03:02 PM
My GT is blue too. Got it the first week of November. Same pleasant surprise.

fuzzmo
02-17-05, 03:35 PM
All of you PNY owners - any problems? How hot/cool does it run?

moshpit
02-17-05, 04:45 PM
I got that on my 6800 NU as well. I think the ones with it have more pipes unlocked than originally.

They can't unlock more pipes on a 6800GT, it's already got a full 16 pipes available. And the temps seem to hover in the upper 60's to lower 70's. While this sounds high, for these cards it's actually not bad. My old 9800XT ran in the same range most of the time so not so bad comparitively. Overclocking is better then I run at typically. I run 400mhz/1.1Ghz which is Ultra default speed, but have a bit of headroom above that where it still seems stable, but I simply don't need more then the Ultra speed I'm getting already. With a 3400+ A64 OC'd to only 2.4Ghz, I don't have enough CPU to escape CPU limitation in enough circumstances to warrent any more GPU clock speed.

Roliath
02-17-05, 10:47 PM
All of you PNY owners - any problems? How hot/cool does it run?
Mine usually idles around 50c - 52c, and max load i've ever seen it at is 71c (after running RTHBIL, for about 5 minutes)

Kickus_assius
02-18-05, 06:00 AM
PNY just makes good overclockers. I have a PNY 6800NU that can OC as much as my BFG 6800NU OC. (375/750 or even 391/800 but it's not as stable).

Mechanic
02-20-05, 02:33 PM
Hmmm, got the same card w/blue PCB but no copper strip on the outside edge. I think I got screwed outa my copper bar :rolleyes:

hyakki
02-21-05, 02:37 AM
i have the green pcb PNY 6800 GT but i dont care cause the card works fine never had a issue with it since i bought it. also havent heard many others with problems and pny

(who cares about pcb color anyways when the blue lights in the case are lit i cant see the color anyways)

anyhow pny cards work great ..would buy another one.

ChrisRay
02-21-05, 03:53 AM
I have the revision the poster has. It's actually not a new revision. Its been available for a while. The heatsink itself is no different from my 6800NU. Otherwise the PCB is blue and there is a gold bar across the side. Which I think is just for looks.,