PDA

View Full Version : Spring release ?

Hunter32
02-16-05, 12:26 PM
I'm thinking about picking up a 6800 ultra agp. I was wanting to know is nVidia going to release anything new
this spring. In case I should hold off buying the 6800 ultra.

|MaguS|
02-16-05, 12:30 PM
Don't know, they haven't really stated if there next high end line was going to release soon or not.

If anything, pick one up used from a reliable source.

Gator
02-16-05, 12:48 PM
Don't know, they haven't really stated if there next high end line was going to release soon or not.

If anything, pick one up used from a reliable source.

Used 6800Ultra are a little hard to come by ;)

Blacklash
02-16-05, 01:04 PM
There might be one around for 435 usd with doom 3. :p

Hunter32
02-16-05, 01:10 PM
I was looking at the eVGA ultra for $449.00 @ newegg. I dont need Doom3, I have it already.

|MaguS|
02-16-05, 01:13 PM
Used 6800Ultra are a little hard to come by ;)

I see poeple selling them and GT's on HardForum all the time... Im thinking about selling my GT actually, thinking about going back to ATI.

Blacklash
02-16-05, 01:33 PM
Good thing about the BFG though is you are guaranteed 425 on the core. I also installed a pure copper heatsink, so she's cool. I am going PCI-Express, that is the only reason I want to sell it.

As someone else said if you are getting an Ultra rated at 400 on the core just get a GT. Odds are high it will do that.

GRAFiZ
02-16-05, 01:33 PM
So far it appears the 6800ultra might be top dog for a while longer. Supposedly there will be no new releases until the end of this year, SLI is essentially a stepping for NVidia to replace the lack of any new cards.

However, there are plenty who feel that news is wrong and only a poor attempt to throw off ATI and the consumers who would put off a new purchase in hopes for a new release.

In reality, we wont know until they officially announce their next product.

My suggestion, take $350 or so and pick up a used 6800GT. I owned both a 6800GT and an Ultra when I was still using AGP and after I overclocked my GT to 400/1100 I noticed zero difference between the two products.

That way you'll save a hundred and when you go to sell the card during your next upgrade you'll have that much less depreciation.

Treason
02-17-05, 04:29 AM
It doesn't look like nVidia is releasing anything this coming Spring to counter ATi's X800XL/X850 series because their 6x00 series is a real winner at the moment. They're probably going to milk it for profits for quite a long time since they're #1 in performance, price, availability, and features over the competition. This puts nVidia firmly in the leader position. The general consensus of any tech messageboard and those Mercury research numbers indicate this.

So yeah, grab a 6800GT or investigate the SLI pathway if you got some cash.

Lil Sassy
02-17-05, 05:57 AM
I would say, go for a GT, but get a new one. Who knows how far or for how long a used one might have been OCed, or ran on low power, or with poor case ventilation.

It might work when you get it, but for how long?

There are a lot of bad things you can do to these cards to shorten their life and still have them work.

I honestly wouldn't touch used silicon.

rohit
02-17-05, 09:14 AM
in tht case buy an eVga card 68gt or ultra, coz it comes with 3 mohs product exchange cycle. So evn if thers a spring release, u can always exchange for the new one.

i feel, the nex gen cards r gonna b PCI-e onli. IMO.