PDA

View Full Version : nvndis.sys - NVIDIA NDIS IO Control Driver

RanCorX2
02-16-05, 01:29 PM
anybody know what this file is for? It appears under hidden devices in device manager, it doesn't come with the drivers does it?

Superfly
02-16-05, 03:00 PM
its part of the nforce drivers i think - i dont use em but i reckon that be a motherboard driver file :-)

RanCorX2
02-16-05, 03:25 PM
i don't have a nforce chipset....damn these mystery drivers that appear on my system.

r2d2d3d4d5
02-17-05, 07:02 AM
NDIS

Packets the network card driver receives are passed upward through the stack by the Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS). NDIS defines a standard interface between hardware drivers for devices such as network cards and the Windows network subsystem. Windows uses NDIS to communicate with these devices. For example, network cards communicate received packets upward to the Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) stack through NDIS, and the TCP/IP stack sends packets out to the network by communicating with network card drivers through NDIS. NDIS is the upper boundary for the components that implement Open Systems Interconnection (OSI)–model link-layer functionality in the protocol stack.

NDIS and the Low-Level Network Programmer

NDIS is relevant to the network application programmer because the version in use determines the capabilities and performance available at the network's link layer. For example, the Wake-on-LAN feature that allows a computer to sleep until network activity is detected, or the ability to query the network card for statistical information through the Windows Management Interface (WMI), might be important to an application — and these features are available only in drivers that comply with the most recent versions of NDIS. link (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/randz/protocol/ndis.asp)

RanCorX2
02-17-05, 01:39 PM
I know about the ndis driver, just wondered why a nvidia ndis driver appeared recently on my sys.

r2d2d3d4d5
02-17-05, 03:12 PM
I know about the ndis driver, just wondered why a nvidia ndis driver appeared recently on my sys.

I think it comes with NVidia DVD Decoder. Are you using that?

No idea what it's for. Video streaming?

RanCorX2
02-18-05, 03:43 PM
ah! perhaps ya right as i am using the decoder :)

Garak128
11-10-05, 05:13 AM
hmm, I deleted that file and registry entries.
Didn't seem to break anything.

Running nforce4/geforce 6600GT.

nforce 6.66
forceware 81.87

Hase1
11-10-05, 05:31 AM
Someone Noticed this Driver
NVIDIA PORT IO Control Driver v1.00 2004 NVIDIA Corporation
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\nvport.sys v1.00

Its installed with the newer ForceWare v8x.xx Drivers but i dont know for what
currently iam using a AMD nforce4 System
before that it was a Intelsystem with Intelchipset it was also installed there.
So it has nothing to do with the nforce4 Chipsetdrivers so its from the Graphicsdriver.

It must something to do with AGP Port and PCI-Express perhaps some Adressingfeatures or Compatibilityfixes for VIA Chipset oder similar things.