PDA

View Full Version : Looking to build my new FX55 computer, but have lots of questions?

newls1
02-16-05, 07:55 PM
Im having a real hard time on another message board having my posts answered, so can someone please help me here: My questions are, Im going to be building an AMD FX55 system using an ASUS A8N-SLI deluxe motherboard, 6800ULTRAx2, not really going to overclock this computer that much, but I need RAM. Does the FX55 need "REGISTERED" DDR Ram to function, or can I use any PC3200 LOW Latancy ram? I found a Patriot ram kit "2" 1GB sticks for dual channel w/ timings of 2-3-2-5, will this be good ram? Last question i think, I never had an AMD processor before, but my goal with this new PC build up will be for a good gaming machine, will this provide me with good FPS in "LETS SAY" HL2? etc......

Clay
02-16-05, 07:58 PM
Regarding memory for your motherboard:

4 x 184-pin DDR dual-channel support for up to 4GB unbuffered, PC2100, PC2700 & PC3200 (DDR266, DDR333 & DDR400) DDR or ECC memory

ECC is optional for the FX55 IIRC.

MUYA
02-16-05, 07:58 PM
Nope no need for registered RAM if the FX55 is Socket 939.! Only cpus that are socket 940 need registerred ram. I have a FX53 and am using conventional DDR modules from GEIL.

MUYA
02-16-05, 07:59 PM
Ram and latencies doesn't really matter on the K8! JuiceZ had a link smewhere

Daneel Olivaw
02-16-05, 08:00 PM
Im having a real hard time on another message board having my posts answered, so can someone please help me here: My questions are, Im going to be building an AMD FX55 system using an ASUS A8N-SLI deluxe motherboard, 6800ULTRAx2, [...] I never had an AMD processor before, but my goal with this new PC build up will be for a good gaming machine, will this provide me with good FPS in "LETS SAY" HL2? etc......
You're asking if a FX55 and Dual 6800U will have good FPS in HL2? Are you nuts?
I'd think the 2000$ you're gonna shell out for that rig should make you happy for a little while!

newls1
02-16-05, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the quick replys guys, so is patriot ram any good?, oh ya, my last question is about my PSU, I currently have an ANTEC TRUE 550, will this still work with the a8n-sli board?

Daneel Olivaw
02-16-05, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the quick replys guys, so is patriot ram any good?, oh ya, my last question is about my PSU, I currently have an ANTEC TRUE 550, will this still work with the a8n-sli board?
Of course it will! Please post benchies when you have the rig :) and don't forget MS is giving out free 1year editions of windows XP 64 bit on their website. see hardocp.com for details.

Clay
02-16-05, 08:06 PM
I ran my Antec True Power 480W just fine on my ASUS A8N SLI (http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/evga_6600gt_sli/index.shtml) and that was with two 6600GTs. I didn't even use a 20-t0-24 conveter for the power connection. I had no problems at all.

keith33
02-16-05, 08:09 PM
So far with my experience, and a few other peoples, any TCCD ram seems to work great with nforce3 chipsets. The OCZ Dual Channel Platinum Rev. 2 2-2-2-5 kit has had the best performance for me (after trying corsair, kingston, and older OCZ stuff), but I'm sure someone with an nforce 4 motherboard can elaborate on that further. Good luck.

saturnotaku
02-16-05, 08:10 PM
Does the FX55 need "REGISTERED" DDR Ram to function, or can I use any PC3200 LOW Latancy ram?

You'll want to use the latter. ECC memory will add latency and therefore reduce performance.

I found a Patriot ram kit "2" 1GB sticks for dual channel w/ timings of 2-3-2-5, will this be good ram?

It should be fine.

Last question i think, I never had an AMD processor before, but my goal with this new PC build up will be for a good gaming machine, will this provide me with good FPS in "LETS SAY" HL2? etc......

Depends. With a system like that, maximum image quality should be a concern as well. There shouldn't be any reason why you couldn't run that particular game at 1600x1200 with 4x anti-aliasing and 16x anisotropic filtering. HL2 isn't exactly the best example to use. What other games will you be playing?

Clay
02-16-05, 08:11 PM
I had no problems with my Mushkin PC-3500 Level One Dual Pack either on that ASUS board.

newls1
02-16-05, 08:25 PM
So far with my experience, and a few other peoples, any TCCD ram seems to work great with nforce3 chipsets. The OCZ Dual Channel Platinum Rev. 2 2-2-2-5 kit has had the best performance for me (after trying corsair, kingston, and older OCZ stuff), but I'm sure someone with an nforce 4 motherboard can elaborate on that further. Good luck.

What is TCCD ram?

Riptide
02-16-05, 08:31 PM
TCCD is currently pretty much the best Samsung chips out there. It's also going out of production for some reason. OCZ EL Platinum Rev 2 is TCCD as well as all the GSkill memory out there AFAIK.

saturnotaku
02-16-05, 08:31 PM
What is TCCD ram?

It's a code for memory made by Samsung. A lot of brands use it. Patriot's XBLK series has it. Corsair's TwinX1024-3200XL has it. G.Skill uses it exclusively. The OCZ Platinum previously mentioned also is TCCD-based. It's a bit more money, but the performance even when not overclocked is quite good.

newls1
02-16-05, 08:36 PM
So is this what patriot uses on there ram? so your saying its good? here is a cut and paste, so you all can see what im looking at:

Manufacturer Part Number: PDC2G3200LLK

Overview

Patriot’s Dual Channel (DC) 2GB PC3200 Low Latency memory kits are engineered to optimize performance in system motherboards containing Dual Channel chipsets. Current chipsets utilizing Dual Channel are Intel 875 “Canterwood”, Intel 865 “Springdale”), nForce 2 Ultra 400, nForce 3 250, and Via KT880. The kits are composed of two (2) 1GB low latency modules, manufactured, tested and then immediately packaged to ensure reliability and stability.

Specifications

Dual Channel
2GB PC3200 Low Latency Memory Kit
100% Tested at 400MHZ
Low Latency Setting (2-3-2-5) for System Performance
Aluminum Heat Spreader to Reduce Thermal Build-Up

Retail Pack

newls1
02-16-05, 08:43 PM
I think im going to buy these parts tonight, here is what im piecing together right now, please tell me what you think.
1. AMD FX 55
2. 2GB Patriot Dual channel ram kit
3. ASUS A8N-SLI deluxe motherboard
4. BFG 6800ULTRA PCIE 256MB x1 (only for now)
for a grand total of 2062.00
Should I do it, or not?
The rest of the computer will be made from parts that are in my computer now, like HDD's, PSU, etc.......

MUYA
02-16-05, 08:52 PM
That is going to rawk! :)

Absolution
02-16-05, 10:02 PM
go for it

the 2 gb of ram isnt needed imo

anyway
if you want extreme hd speed go for 2x WD Raptors otherwise my choice would be the 300GB Maxtor sata, it performs a little better with NCQ than the segate model (see my sig)

also, i highly suggest a 520wat OCZ powersupply, its good clean power

i have a 420wat but i wish i would have gotten the 460/520 wat model for good measure (im running completely fine now though, even with only a 420 wat model, its got 30 amps or so on the 12v so if your short of money then just get the 420)

also, if your looking to slightly inprove your sound+fps in games, get a nice sound card as well

saturnotaku
02-16-05, 11:34 PM
Just make sure that if you get a Maxtor hard drive that you get an OEM one as those come with a three-year warranty. Retail kits only have a one-year warranty. I have no idea why that is, but it's something to be aware of.

dandano
02-17-05, 02:00 AM
I wonder about using the 1GB sticks. You really need 2GB of ram?

About the timings you mentioned, I thought that the listed timings were with a P4 and that timings had to be relaxed with AMD64. I'm not an expert on ram timings, so I may be mistaken.

In any case, it looks like you're getting a great system together.

bkswaney
02-17-05, 03:10 AM
I would save money and not by a FX55.
If I were u grab a nice 3800+ and rock on.
Just my 2 cents. ;)

That will save u 500 bucks.
That way u could grab a second 6800u.
That's what I would do anyway. :)

Also 2gig of ram is a overkill.
1 gig is all most anyone needs.
You will see no speed jump going to 2gig from 1.

Nice rig u r building BTW. Enjoy. :D

faithlesspreach
02-17-05, 05:12 PM
yp pretty nice rig you got there what psu u want to put in ?, since im planning on building myself a very similar computer the only difference its the ram ill be using 1 gb i think thats enough , and ill put an 6800 gt for now .

For psu i was planning on putting a ocz 520 watts , but i heard that the antec true power 550 its also a good psu, but one thing i want to ask too its between the two :antec true power 550 and the ocz 520 powersteam which one its best regarding rails amparage , and silence also .

The other question i got its , will either the antec true power or the ocz powestream will be able to add a second card along the card without needing to replace the psu wont that stress the psu a bit seeing its a fx-55

ps. sorry for asking the questions here but since its on topic i didnt feel the need to creat a new one

Riptide
02-17-05, 06:36 PM
Damn man if I were you I'd save some money on that FX55 and get a 3800+ like the others suggested. Much better deal IMO. Or if you really want to save some coin get a 3500+ and try to o/c it a bit. Even if you can only squeeze another 200MHz out of it that's near FX55 performance (only 200mhz difference, half the L2 cache) for a hell of a lot less $$$.