PDA

View Full Version : Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe chipset fan broken

pkirby11
02-17-05, 12:10 AM
Alright, so I get home from work this evening and there is this annoying humming noise comming from my PC. So I go and open up the case, took me a while but I pin pointed the source of the noise. It's coming from my less than a week old A8N-SLI deluxe motherboard. As you can imagine, I'm quite upset. But I thought maybe someone could give me some suggestions on what they thought I should do.

Would it be a good idea to change the heatsink and fan? If so, any suggestions of what to get. Should I send it back to Newegg? Although this would be a pain seeing as it might be hard to repack everything. Or call Asus and see how they want to handle it? Any suggestions would be welcome.

I'm very frustrated, and the buzzing is starting to drive me insane. Any help ASAP would be great. I really wish companys would not put fans on chipsets. It's easy to replace a video card, or even the fan on a video card. But having to replace the heatsink on a motherboard is a little more difficult. Thanks for the help guys.

ChrisRay
02-17-05, 12:50 AM
I recently had an Albatron fan fail on a Via board. this is why I wasnt to thrilled to see that the soutbridge had an actively cooled high RPM fan. I just dont like them. The more electrial components the more they are likely to fail. I'd see what Asus has to say about it first..

Chris.

pkirby11
02-17-05, 01:57 AM
Exactly, I don't understand why a chipset needs such an active fan. And at least they could install a quality fan. Especially for a $250 motherboard. Thanks, I'll give ASUS a call in the morning and then go from there. Sure is a big pain in the butt though.

bkswaney
02-17-05, 03:14 AM
I would just order an aftermarket fan and heatsink.

There is no way in hell I would pull my mobo for
a bad fan.

Grab a zalman or something. :)

pkirby11
02-17-05, 12:17 PM
I would just order an aftermarket fan and heatsink.

There is no way in hell I would pull my mobo for
a bad fan.

Grab a zalman or something. :)

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, I'm just not sure what will fit it. I'll look around and maybe find something. Does a heatsink really need an 8800 RPM fan? That seems like a little over kill to me. And yeah I agree, don't really feel like pulling my whole board and waiting a week or 2 for a replacement.

mastermind763
02-24-05, 03:17 AM
You know what, I had the same problem and after investigation of the fan i noticed that the Sticker that says ASUS on the fan was off just by a hair. And when the fan spins at 8000 RPM as it does that little bit of error causes vibration. I removed the sticker and now the problem is gone. No more Vibration
RacecaR

john_doe252
02-25-05, 06:36 PM
I had the same problem, 5 minutes after i've installed my mobo. I have solved it by removing the cooler from the heatsink and replaced it with an bigger 400mm cooler. By doing this i have managed to get rid of the crazy 9000rpm sound and i have also lowered the chipset temperature by 4-5 degrees. This is good when you're not using 2 video boards that are very very long. i hope this will help.

I personally don't think that by removing the Asus sticker from the old cooler can make such a big difference..... Asus somehow took a good decision by using a small cooler with high rpm (this is because SLI long boards demands lots of space)... but failed when they choose this low quality cooler...

Viral
02-25-05, 06:56 PM
400mm? I would hope that's enough to cool it! ^_^

For those who want a good and relatively quiet low profile Chipset HS then I'd suggest the Vantec Iceberq4. I still have mine laying around that I never got to use (board died before I put it on ;p) But I've powered it up and it's very quiet and it cools well in the reviews. If it can cool a 9800pro better than the stock cooler then I'd like to see a chipset too hot for it to cool.

john_doe252
02-26-05, 06:20 AM
400mm? I would hope that's enough to cool it! ^_^

For those who want a good and relatively quiet low profile Chipset HS then I'd suggest the Vantec Iceberq4. I still have mine laying around that I never got to use (board died before I put it on ;p) But I've powered it up and it's very quiet and it cools well in the reviews. If it can cool a 9800pro better than the stock cooler then I'd like to see a chipset too hot for it to cool.

Sorry :p ... it has 40mm.