PDA

View Full Version : A8N-SLI Not Posting??!!

Pages : [1] 2

jAkUp
02-17-05, 02:15 AM
Ok WTF is going on here, man I have the worst luck ever.

I go to turn on my system today, everything powers on, I get on display. Nothing on the screen at all. This is the same machine that was working great 1 hour earlier. I reset CMOS, no dice. Pull out the CMOS battery, nothing.

I try 1 stick of memory, nothing. Tried different slots, nothing. I switch the memory sticks around, I manage to get it to post. I get into the CMOS, while in the CMOS the system hard locks. My usb keyboard COMPLETELY shuts off, and the entire system freezes. I restart the system, no post again. Switch the memory sticks around, this whole thing starts over again.

Now I cannot even get it to post with switching the memory sticks around. WTF is going on here??!! Anyone have any clue whatsoever? I can't stand having my system down. I'm pulling my hair out over this. The weird thing is, 1 hour before this my system was working completely fine! I did nothing out of the ordinary as far as hardware goes. I shut it off normally, and when I go to power back on... this happens.

bkswaney
02-17-05, 03:56 AM
My guess is the motherboard has a problem
that's just now showing up.
I had one do this to me a year ago.
It was a NF2 board. It did just about what
yours done.

I've seen quiet a few post on bad A8N's.
I'll bet the extra heat and stress of SLI had something to do
with it.

Man sorry to hear this.
I know your luck is as bad as mine.
Maybe u need a new Username. "Jinx" :rofl:

Hope I'm wrong for your sake.
But I have a feeling I'm not.

Keep us posted.

jAkUp
02-17-05, 11:03 AM
WTF. Last night I said forget it and went to sleep. Today I wake up and everything seems to be working fine! Man that was weird. Hopefully it doesn't happen again :)

rombat
02-17-05, 01:41 PM
Hey jakUp, happy for you that your sli is working now, lets hope it stays that way. I just wanted to ask you what bios you are using on your motherboard?

jAkUp
02-17-05, 01:42 PM
Right now I'm using the latest beta bios... 1004-001

rombat
02-17-05, 02:05 PM
Cool thats the bios I am using too, mine hasn't act up (knock on wood). I guess we can rule out the bios causing the problem. :D

HighTest
02-17-05, 03:51 PM
A friend of mine didn't have the PCIe video card fully seated correctly. After removing and fully reseating (with the power cord unplugged of course), he was able to see his display.

For some reason it's possible to have the card not fully seated but still pass that portion of the BIOS POST.

jAkUp
02-17-05, 09:41 PM
Hmm I will try that. It just did it again, after a few restarts it finally posted... I hope this thing is not dead.

Sazar
02-17-05, 10:03 PM
also check the psu is all well and good...

those are similar signs to what I experienced when my antec died on me...

bkswaney
02-17-05, 11:45 PM
Man glad to hear it's running. :D

At least u did not end up
like me with a dead mobo.
Yours sounded just like the NF2 board
I had that died.

jAkUp
02-17-05, 11:50 PM
Guess what? It's dead. It finally stopped posting all together. I took it to work, tested it out. Same thing. I'm sending this one back. *sigh*

I might pick up the DFI if I can. But I'm sure as hell not gonna buy another ASUS to hold me off in the mean time. I never really liked this board from the beginning.

:( Sad day

How was your dead Abit board similar BK?

SH64
02-18-05, 12:12 AM
Dang that sucks dude . hope you get your replacment ASAP !

wshadow
02-18-05, 12:19 AM
buy the gigabyte we have jakup. Even Jason Brandon says he prefers it over asus

nVidi0t
02-18-05, 12:38 AM
Go Gigabyte.

bkswaney
02-18-05, 12:59 AM
Guess what? It's dead. It finally stopped posting all together. I took it to work, tested it out. Same thing. I'm sending this one back. *sigh*

I might pick up the DFI if I can. But I'm sure as hell not gonna buy another ASUS to hold me off in the mean time. I never really liked this board from the beginning.

:( Sad day

How was your dead Abit board similar BK?

Man sorry to here that. :(

The way yours quit is about the way mine died.
It run great.... one day it did not want to boot.
I got it to though. 2 days later that was all.

You might try the Gigabyte board.
I love my gigabyte.
Never a seconds problem with it.
I'll use GB again. That's for sure.
Great bios updates and support to. :D

Tym
02-18-05, 01:49 AM
I can confirm the Gigabyte SLI board is rock stable and I love it, however there's just one thing to consider, namely the size of your VGA heatsinks. I haven't gone SLI yet, but... guess what: I put in my Leadtek 6800 GT in yesterday and I can see another one simply won't fit in, the board has less space between PCI-E x16 slots than the Asus, and since Leadtek has put a huge copper heatsink on the card (and another one on the backside of the PCB), I won't be able to squeeze two of these in...

I can see in your pictures that eVGA have used the reference design, so the cards will fit in nicely, but this is just to let you know in case you want to replace them with something using diffferent cooling setup further down the road...

Real shame, the board is great and the card's heating is brilliant...

jAkUp
02-18-05, 01:53 AM
Yes I know, thats the main reason I don't want the board. I really want to get some VGA Silencers, and with the gigabyte board, I know they just will not fit... well, right now I think I'm gonna save some money and just wait for my RMA.

ChrisRay
02-18-05, 02:02 AM
I just had a bad experience with the Gigabyte SLI board.. I dunno. My Asus board has been rock solid and I have experienced nary a problem with it. Actually its performing well above my expectations and my memory is dioing alot better than I could have hoped..

1337_Like_ThaT
02-18-05, 02:46 AM
buy the gigabyte we have jakup. Even Jason Brandon says he prefers it over asus

Wow, dont join the GiGAYbyite team now. Rather use an ECS then the day comes to using a gigabyte :p go aBit@! wo0-t Gigabyte = teh suc|<

bkswaney
02-18-05, 04:12 AM
Wow, dont join the GiGAYbyite team now. Rather use an ECS then the day comes to using a gigabyte :p go aBit@! wo0-t Gigabyte = teh suc|<

I've had bad luck with Abit.
Glad someone likes them. :p

PSYCHODAD
02-18-05, 04:54 AM
Sorry to hear about your board guy. Really sucks. :(

Riptide
02-18-05, 10:03 AM
Go with the DFI. ASUS makes good motherboards for the most part but this particular model hasn't had that great of a rep.

ViN86
02-18-05, 04:19 PM
*cough* try the MSI K8N Neo2 Diamond *cough*

... what? ... i didnt say anything ....

Roliath
02-18-05, 04:37 PM
sorry to hear about your board. Good luck with everything

Viral
02-19-05, 03:14 AM
I felt the same way, I liked the Asus's layout the best of all SLI boards, but the DFI is just too tempting to pass off. I'd go with the SLI-DR for sure.

I'd just like to know if the things can fit NV5's, that would solve any heat problems and increase exhaust too. :)