PDA

View Full Version : Vertical Screen Shake SLI

DragonRR
02-17-05, 09:17 AM
I have a Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI with 2 6800GTs connected to an HP L2335 23" TFT capable of 1920x1200. I get the shimmering problem in both Counterstrike source and 3D Mark.. Not tried much else yet. I'vve tried drivers 66.93 & 71.81 with no change. If I run in a window say 1600x900 its rock steady. A few people seem to have this problem and all seem to think it relates to a vertical sync issue with the two cards. I would agree with this - I get a 1 pixelish yellow line at the top of the screen in CS which flickers on and off vewry rapidly suggesting that the screens are about by 1px. The overall net effect is a wave or shimmer. In fact for whatever reasons 1600x900 full screen gives me a double image seperated vertically by 200-300px VERY flickery!

Does anyone know if there's a current driver that fixes this problem or a setting or whatever? The problem is REALLY annoying!

I have heard some people say that DVI causes the issue. I'll try analogue & see if it makes a difference hopefully tonight.

This problem is NOT the shimmering texture issue. I've just replaced my system.. the old one with a 6800 AGP was fine.

DragonRR
02-17-05, 03:06 PM
OK, well lots of replies so far!

Update:

3D Mark 2005 crashes between tests. Sometimes it completes 2 or 3 then crashes sometimes just does the first.

Counterstrike:
Runs fine in any window mode except 1920x1200 where there's no shake but I get a strange mosaic artifacting at the top of the screen and the window bar has pink moving stuff all over it.
Appears to work fine in any 4:3 full screen mode although I haven't tried all of them.

I assume that the reason why the forums aren't flooded with people with this issue (altho there are a few) is because the problem in CS only seems to happens in widescreen modes.

I've tried single GPU & multi GPU settings, I've tried AA & AF on and off.

Will post when I get chance to try Analogue rather than DVI.

PSYCHODAD
02-17-05, 04:01 PM
OK, well lots of replies so far!

Update:

3D Mark 2005 crashes between tests. Sometimes it completes 2 or 3 then crashes sometimes just does the first.

Counterstrike:
Runs fine in any window mode except 1920x1200 where there's no shake but I get a strange mosaic artifacting at the top of the screen and the window bar has pink moving stuff all over it.
Appears to work fine in any 4:3 full screen mode although I haven't tried all of them.

I assume that the reason why the forums aren't flooded with people with this issue (altho there are a few) is because the problem in CS only seems to happens in widescreen modes.

I've tried single GPU & multi GPU settings, I've tried AA & AF on and off.

Will post when I get chance to try Analogue rather than DVI.

Don't have any experience personally as I use a crt display. Have you tried the 67.66 beta drivers?

GRAFiZ
02-17-05, 04:28 PM
Sadly, I experience the same thing, and I fear it isn't a problem that can be fixed. Shame on NVidia if they cant resolve it.

However, there is one way to stop it from shaking, run the game in windowed mode.

I run CS:S and HL2 in a window at 1680x1050 and have no problem. However, you'll have to put up with faint blue lines around your display as part of the window gets displayed.

All I gotta say is so far, SLI is as buggy as any technology I've ever used. They BETTER fix these issues or over to ATI I'll go!

DragonRR
02-17-05, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the confirmation. Yes I noticed that running in a window works which is better than nothing. Actually I am 99% sure Nvidia can fix this issue.

Since my max res is 1920x1200 I made another res with 1680x1050 which has no artifacts at all running CS (so far). Following this thru I thought that it might mean that I could create a close to full res that doesn't go off screen with the window border without artifacts:

Added res 1840x1150 window and it seems to work fine. Now if I remove the task bar I get a near full screen window without issues. All wide screen modes running in a window at least seem to have problems with the video stress test... In all case I get a glitchy area over the window frame and in the 3D area at the top middle but I don't care much about that since I won't be running the video stress test too much!.

At a guess you could try say 1600x1000 if you want to get the same effect.

Hopefully if Nvidia devs ever read this it might help them to narrow down the issue although I strongly suspect they already know what the problem is!

DragonRR
02-17-05, 05:17 PM
Psycho Dad:

No I haven't tried drivers other than 66.93 & 71.81 but I might dig them out & give them a go. Is there any reason you think they might help?

garikfox
02-17-05, 07:00 PM
Its yer PSU, u need to divide yer PSU's rails up accordingly and nothing lower then a 500w will work. I had yer problem but had flashing red stuff but seems a simmilar issue.

My prob came when i had 1 rail on all HDs, Cdroms etc. then other rail i had my 2 GTs and 3 fans. Once i divided up the rails. All fixed. :)

DragonRR
02-17-05, 07:08 PM
Its yer PSU, u need to divide yer PSU's rails up accordingly and nothing lower then a 500w will work. I had yer problem but had flashing red stuff but seems a simmilar issue.

My prob came when i had 1 rail on all HDs, Cdroms etc. then other rail i had my 2 GTs and 3 fans. Once i divided up the rails. All fixed. :)

I don't think its PSU related - although anything is possible. I have an Antec Truepower 550w and I have seperate power going to the cards. Besides how do you explain no problem with a window at over full screen which is likely to consume even more power?

To double check I might add another external PSU just to power the cards.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

GRAFiZ
02-17-05, 07:23 PM

I'm running a PPC&C 510SLI, pumping 34/38 amps through a single 12v rail.

This cant be a PSU issue.

GRAFiZ
02-17-05, 07:24 PM
I don't think its PSU related - although anything is possible. I have an Antec Truepower 550w and I have seperate power going to the cards. Besides how do you explain no problem with a window at over full screen which is likely to consume even more power?

To double check I might add another external PSU just to power the cards.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

I wouldnt do that, I've read far too many reports of people cooking thier video cards when trying to run them off a seperate PSU.

It'll throw too much voltage at them and blow them up.

At least thats what I've been told, I wouldnt risk it, your PSU is a good one, I think it's something else.

J-Mag
02-17-05, 07:39 PM
Well actually the dual PSU wouldn't give it too much power... think of it as a Pull not a Push...

But you are right it is a bad idea to run you vid cards on one PSU and everything else on another ( i believe it has something to do with frequency or harmonics of the current being different )

You could howver run your MB and Vid Cards on one PSU and run your disks, optis, and fans off another wiht out a problem.

this is all irrelevant anyway, cause your issues are driver related.

I would be interested to see if this would occur with the standard DSUB VGA connect vs a DVI Are you guys both connected via DVI?

GRAFiZ
02-17-05, 07:54 PM
Well actually the dual PSU wouldn't give it too much power... think of it as a Pull not a Push...

But you are right it is a bad idea to run you vid cards on one PSU and everything else on another ( i believe it has something to do with frequency or harmonics of the current being different )

You could howver run your MB and Vid Cards on one PSU and run your disks, optis, and fans off another wiht out a problem.

this is all irrelevant anyway, cause your issues are driver related.

I would be interested to see if this would occur with the standard DSUB VGA connect vs a DVI Are you guys both connected via DVI?

I'm using DVI on my 2005FPW, I read a while back that supposedly it has to do with the defualt DVI timing and that if there was a way to force "GTF" timing through DVI the shaking would go away.

However, DVI is set in it's ways and there are few options.

I sure hope Nvidia is aware of this problem and knows of a fix as it's very annoying.

Frankly, I regret my choice of going widescreen quite often. Few games are capable of widescreen and the ones that are, shake up and down when using SLI.

Ugh... I'm quite lucky to have what I do, a great setup, but really, lets get some standardization.

PSYCHODAD
02-17-05, 09:07 PM
Psycho Dad:

No I haven't tried drivers other than 66.93 & 71.81 but I might dig them out & give them a go. Is there any reason you think they might help?
Only that these drivers added some SLI support. Don't know if it would help or not.

Hope you get it figured out soon, good luck.

DragonRR
02-18-05, 05:36 AM
Everyone who has this issue mentions either a 23" or 20" widescreen so I guess Nvidia's QC dep don't have any!

Tried another PSU - made no difference.

4:3 modes full screen - no problem in the ones I've tried in CS
3D Mark crashes between tests or even before tests

Still haven't had chance to try any other games
Still haven't had chance to test analogue.

One question - I used to get a panel in the Nvidia CPL to change how to display the image on a digital flat panel. I can't find it. Is it disabled in SLI mode? I've tried NVTweak, coolbits etc but just can't get it to appear. I think it used to appear as one menu item down from the top.

DragonRR
02-20-05, 06:04 PM
Update:

Just to let people know:

I get the problem in everything I've tried so far but only in widescreen or non 4:3 modes. Its great having black borders!

About the digital display panel thing:

The actual name of the page(s) I'm missing is Nview display settings. I tried a complete driver removal & re-install which fixed it!!! Until, that is, I enabled SLI.. At which point it vanished again! I guess its another bug!

If Nvidia don't fix these issues soon I will start thinking about taking back these 6800gts & getting a single X800/850 and have some change!

DragonRR
02-22-05, 05:14 PM
Update 2:

Well tried the 75.90 drivers..

Got the heat problem with both GPU's - normally 50-55 deg idle - immediately went up to 71 deg. Overclocking/underclocking didn't seem to make any difference although I didn't try it much.

Screen shake....
Counterstrike Source:
MUCH MUCH WORSE! 1600x1200 which was fine full screen - shuddered and the left hand side distorted too.

1920x1200 - waste of time, complete mess could just about see to quit out.

Needless to say drivers are de-installed & put 66.93 back on which are at least OK at 1600x1200!

DragonRR
02-23-05, 04:11 PM
Update 3 & Awful fix!

Tried DSUB analogue. Works - no shake even at 60hz so the issue is DVI in widescreen as far as I'm concerned.

Unfortunately I get interference using DSUB. Might try a better cable at some point but for the time being I think I'd rather run 4:3 1600x1200.

Hopefully using analogue DSUB will work without interferance for some people.

garikfox
02-23-05, 04:15 PM
Youll get her fixed im sure. :)

H-street
01-24-06, 10:04 PM
Did anyone ever get this fixed? or did it just get slid under the rug for a while?

i am currently having the exact same issue and i'm suprised to see so many posts around the net but with no fixes for the problem other than going to Dsub...

i didn't have this problem on my 2005FPW @1680x1050 but once i upgraded to the 37" the 1920x1080 shakes horribly..

i am running the latest WHQL drivers (81.98)..

Aphot
01-24-06, 10:55 PM
My screen shakes also up and down like 1 pixel sometimes. It might be my crappy 10 year old crt tho.