PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Engine 3 MMOG Screens

Pages : [1] 2

jAkUp
02-17-05, 12:25 PM
BeyondUnreal received 3 images of a massively multiplayer online first-person shooter from the folks at Webzen, publishers of the recently announced All Points Bulletin. This unnamed MMO uses Epic's Unreal Engine 3, and while the images don't depict the same amount of detail as seen in their tech demo shots, do remember that MMOs contain far higher numbers of players on screen at any one time than single-player titles.

http://www.beyondunreal.com/daedalus/singlepost.php?id=7752

ragejg
02-17-05, 12:32 PM
Wowsers... hopefully our current rigs can at the least end up being able to play stuff like that @ 10x7, noaa/noaf... :D:D

|MaguS|
02-17-05, 12:41 PM
Why does every model look like they are covered in oil...

SlamDunk
02-17-05, 12:43 PM
To be honest... the production quality that can be seen from those pics does not do justice to the Unreal Engne 3.

Ninjaman09
02-17-05, 01:24 PM
Agreed. The original screens from Epic looked a lot better artistically. Maybe they're trying to rush this game out?

Toss3
02-17-05, 01:29 PM
Agreed. The original screens from Epic looked a lot better artistically. Maybe they're trying to rush this game out?

hmm maybe... but if they would make the game with graphics better than that, I'm sure it wouldn't run too great on most of the computers today :( and maybe they're just trying out the new engine :)

circuitbreaker8
02-17-05, 02:19 PM
Talk about a downgrade from what we've seen :eek: Ah well...I wont be upgrading for a while...guess this saves me $$

holmes
02-17-05, 02:45 PM
Is it me.. or does Doom3 still look better than that?
:|

GamerGuyX
02-17-05, 02:47 PM
Some of you guys seem to be forgetting about this little key fact:

This unnamed MMO uses Epic's Unreal Engine 3, and while the images don't depict the same amount of detail as seen in their tech demo shots, do remember that MMOs contain far higher numbers of players on screen at any one time than single-player titles.

Zelda_fan
02-17-05, 03:00 PM
yeah, but what is the point of getting the Ulreal3 engine if you aren't going to use it to it's peak?

Edge
02-17-05, 03:01 PM
I think it looks great. Sure, not as good as the tech demo shots (which were running at 20 FPS on a xp3000/6800u, if I'm not mistaken), but definatly a big step over any other MMORPG I've ever seen, even Everquest 2. The characters do have that glossed-over look, but that'll hopefully be improved by the game's release. For this type of game, it's really quite amazing how good it actually looks. Hopefully performance will be decent as well.

oldsk00l
02-17-05, 03:17 PM
darksector
isn't that what this is???

Edge
02-17-05, 03:22 PM
Darksector? Wasn't that supposed to be a next-generation console game? I don't think they made it into an MMORPG, not to mention it looked like it was using it's own engine (which didn't look very good for a next-gen game, for that matter).

oldsk00l
02-17-05, 03:22 PM
looking at that in-game shot, it reminds me of like...Quake3 graphics.....

GamerGuyX
02-17-05, 03:36 PM
yeah, but what is the point of getting the Ulreal3 engine if you aren't going to use it to it's peak?

Well maybe using it to its peak isn't an option in this case. ;)

Toss3
02-17-05, 03:43 PM
looking at that in-game shot, it reminds me of like...Quake3 graphics.....
naah.. not really :) it looks good, but still a step backwards from reality, I think at least :( it looks not-real :D but hey it's unreal so what do you expect...
The in-game shot looks good, very detailed, but still not top quality :cool: but you have to see that if they made this game top notch unreal engine 3, then no computer could run it at playable frames(20 fps isn't playable to me). Maybe we just need to wait for the next generation consoles and graphics cards for games using the new engine to actually look as good as they're supposed to do :)

SH64
02-17-05, 03:44 PM
Yep for a MMOFPS , these shots looks very good to me .

nVidi0t
02-17-05, 03:45 PM
Doom 3/HL2 own that. Lets keep in mind that this is MM though.

Nv40
02-17-05, 04:54 PM
Doom 3/HL2 own that. Lets keep in mind that this is MM though.

Hl2 characters are just 1 big flat texture. a 2d photoshop paint..
there is nothing there (at least in graphics) that unreal tournament2k or quake3 can't do ,when it comes to characters graphics .

Bad_Boy
02-17-05, 05:10 PM
mmofps...sounds interesting.

oldsk00l
02-17-05, 05:11 PM
Darksector? Wasn't that supposed to be a next-generation console game? I don't think they made it into an MMORPG, not to mention it looked like it was using it's own engine (which didn't look very good for a next-gen game, for that matter).

Actually, I don't remember Darksector ever intended to be a console game. It made a big stink of news for a short while around when Deus Ex was released then...all of a sudden we stopped hearing about it.

oldsk00l
02-17-05, 05:13 PM
Nevermind

http://www.gamepro.com/computer/pc/games/news/34778.shtml

Console game it is, it was originally suppose to be this "Unreal engine powered" MMOG

This is a good read

http://www.3dactionplanet.com/darksector/

I spotted over at BluesNews that Computer and Videogames has an article about Dark Sector. Turns out that YES, the game you wanted before, is no longer in any way the same. Sure it has purdy graphics, but it is looking like the only thing that was kept the same, in any way , was the name. O well, give it a READ
So does anyone want a Dark Sector website?

WeReWoLf
02-17-05, 06:10 PM
mmm... MMOFPS... Huge city, different factions, quests to do, and lotsa people to kill (NPC's and Players alike) I love the sound of this one already. It'd be like a Co-Op game, mixed with online deathmatch, mixed with a normal MMO, mixed with PURE AND UTTER SWEETNESS!

Vagrant Zero
02-17-05, 09:00 PM
I think it looks great. Sure, not as good as the tech demo shots (which were running at 20 FPS on a xp3000/6800u, if I'm not mistaken), but definatly a big step over any other MMORPG I've ever seen, even Everquest 2.

Well if we're going to play that game you have to remember the state of the drivers back in April 2004. They sucked....badly, the X800Pro was beating the 6800U in everything. It wasn't until June/July that the NV40 drivers shaped up and we started to see the GT dominate the Pro.

Also after Vampire I'm jaded against FPS engines driving RPGs. Source didn't save Vampire from looking like ass. KotOR looks better [though the facial animations suck, but them again I prefer to read over letting them speak so it's no big for me].

WeReWoLf
02-17-05, 09:47 PM
But this isn't an RPG, it's an MMOFPS