PDA

View Full Version : Duke Nukem Forever... Online Delivery System

jAkUp
02-17-05, 12:30 PM
"Games xStream is the first and only online delivery platform that can satisfy a gamer's desire to buy a game on impulse and start playing minutes later, regardless of the size or complexity of the game. 3D Realms is extremely excited by this ground breaking technology, and we plan to use it to sell our future releases"

http://www.gamexstream.com/

|MaguS|
02-17-05, 12:42 PM
Now we know whats taking them so long... they are copying steam!

|JuiceZ|
02-17-05, 12:57 PM
Now we know whats taking them so long... they are copying steam!

HAHAHAH! :rofl :lol:

Ninjaman09
02-17-05, 01:14 PM
Man, I hope this online delivery catches on. Then publishers can be eliminated from the picture and developers can actually start making good games again.

GamerGuyX
02-17-05, 02:50 PM
Man, I hope this online delivery catches on. Then publishers can be eliminated from the picture and developers can actually start making good games again.

I absolutely hate services like Steam. Although you do make a good point. :thumbsup:

msxyz
02-17-05, 03:13 PM
So for every new game that will come out, I'll have to install some sort of TSR utility that eats up megabytes of RAM, thousands of CPU cyles and decide for ME when it's time to install an upgrade, a patch or even if I'm entitled to play ?

Meh, after the Steam experience I'm going to boicott any form of digital content distribution. We already have a good digital content distribution platform: it's Torrent and all the developers would have to do is implement a simple "master server" check in their games.

nVidi0t
02-17-05, 03:47 PM
Well, Steam doesnt seem so bad for me now, initially it had me to the point of burning my HL2 DVD, but there are advantages to the system which I can appreciate.

Fatman
02-17-05, 03:56 PM
So for every new game that will come out, I'll have to install some sort of TSR utility that eats up megabytes of RAM, thousands of CPU cyles and decide for ME when it's time to install an upgrade, a patch or even if I'm entitled to play ?

Meh, after the Steam experience I'm going to boicott any form of digital content distribution. We already have a good digital content distribution platform: it's Torrent and all the developers would have to do is implement a simple "master server" check in their games.
MEGABYTES OF RAM!!! Holy crap, how is my system going to handle such a load? Get real man, any self respecting gamer today will have at least a gig of ram, half a decent cpu and broadband connection.

I tell ya, having developers being independant of publishers will work both ways, and will benefit devs, as well as us gamers.

Would you rather put up with screwed up copy protecton schemes that publishers force on devs? Rushed products and dead support for released games because publisher dictates the budget and time schedules?

You loose som you win some, with online distos devs and gamers win, publishers loose. Good enough for me.

Zelda_fan
02-17-05, 04:11 PM

That is a good point, but I really really really hate steam. There needs to be a better more reliable alternative.

SH64
02-17-05, 04:13 PM
The idea of ODS alone looks great as long as it dosen't involve Steam authorization & protection system .
i'm willing to get a faster connection & start using that ODS as a primary way to get my games the day they become available rather than waiting weeks until its available in local stores where i live .

superklye
02-17-05, 04:48 PM
That is a good point, but I really really really hate steam. There needs to be a better more reliable alternative.
They could do what www.easytree.org does...you have to be a member of their site in order to get and use their torrents.

"Big deal," you say? "I could just get the torrent from one of my friends," you say? But see, that's the beauty of it: they personalize the torrents so that the only person that can use them is the one whose username is tied to the torrent.

There could very well be a work-around to cheat the system, but you would still have to be a member of the site in order to get on the tracker, so I guess that companies could use this system, make you pay to join the site/tracker and you could download the game ONCE (I'm sure they could track that somehow) and then after that, you couldn't let a friend use your username/torrent to get the game as well.

Or even if you could, they could do a thing like Steam that requires you to log in and then only one instance of the name could be playing at once.

WeReWoLf
02-18-05, 12:02 AM
But that would require a program of some sort to control the game. When you log on, it would send info to the master server, allowing you to play. This program would be pointlessly eating up precious resources.

killahsin
02-18-05, 12:28 AM
This isn't very surprising as Scott has talked about the possibilities in steam quite a few times now. What I do find surprising is that when he discussed it, he always discussed it in a manner of multiple developers using it. Not the style of its technology but the steam technology itself. I never in a million years though he would be pulling out his hat this. I wonder if valves legal problems w/ vivendi may have had somthing to do with stopping him from using steam.

3DR is a developer publisher combination. So yes and no. 3DR isn't an evil styled publisher like edios or vivendi or even *shudder* what activision is seeming to become. Who ever thought activision would slowly start to follow the edios mentallity of killing off developers in hopes of swallowing their design teams for cheap money.

Slyder
02-18-05, 12:49 AM
Not to worried about this to be honest. Steam was ment to stop piracy a hell of alot but I have the retail version and a full on no steam required version of Half Life 2 (both are exactly the same btw). I expect DNF will be stripped of rubbish like HL2 was and made to be played "really" offline. ;)

EciDemon
02-18-05, 01:43 AM
I don't mind buying my games online, Infact I like that idea. But Steam ? naw.
Ive been watching steam from time to time and some times it's taken more then 30mb ram. It's no biggie, I have 1gb ram. But what if all my games insists of having something like steam in the background at all times ? ... 10 games ... thats 300mb wasted on nothing but idle apps.

So steam is good, it will keep track of updates for your. Why not just add that feature to everytime you launch the game in online mode ?

I some times do have alot of games installed at the same time, I dont think that's very uncommon with the large HDDs available now days.
I do not want 10x steam apps running just to play my games.

Now, if all games were to use _one_ such app as steam, That I could accept.

msxyz
02-18-05, 02:23 AM
MEGABYTES OF RAM!!! Holy crap, how is my system going to handle such a load? Get real man, any self respecting gamer today will have at least a gig of ram, half a decent cpu and broadband connection.
28 Megabytes is still an INDECENT amount of memory for a simple control panel. Yet, that's what the system manager reports.

It's matter of principle. The fact that I have 1 GB of RAM does not mean that I like to see it wasted with piss-poor programmed apps. The day you accept this and tomorrow you'll need to upgrade your system not because it's obsolete but because someone in the industry made you believe so. I'm usually very careful about what I install and how I configure my PC. Until a couple of months ago I had a P3 1.33 GHz that somehow it managed to beat many of my friends' newer PCs when it came down to loading times and even fps in many modern games. But there was no voodoo magic involved. The "secret" is only careful installation and removal of unenecssary, redundant or stupid piece of software that clutters our machines.

Fatman
02-18-05, 08:59 AM
Yea 28MB of ram, what if it was 280? Why do you care how much ram it eats up as long as it doesn't affect your game pwerformance? You don't play more than one game at a time, so what's the big deal?

zoomy942
02-18-05, 08:59 AM
28 Megabytes is still an INDECENT amount of memory for a simple control panel. Yet, that's what the system manager reports.

It's matter of principle. The fact that I have 1 GB of RAM does not mean that I like to see it wasted with piss-poor programmed apps. The day you accept this and tomorrow you'll need to upgrade your system not because it's obsolete but because someone in the industry made you believe so. I'm usually very careful about what I install and how I configure my PC. Until a couple of months ago I had a P3 1.33 GHz that somehow it managed to beat many of my friends' newer PCs when it came down to loading times and even fps in many modern games. But there was no voodoo magic involved. The "secret" is only careful installation and removal of unenecssary, redundant or stupid piece of software that clutters our machines.

i agree with you that it's not about my ram being used, its the principle of the thing. i am very anal as well about what gets loaded and it makes me sad when i see my firnds pc's with 48.7 icons in the system tray.

sure, my pc doesnt sare about a few megs lost to steam, but it shouldnt be needed. or we should be able to remove things we dont want from it. kind of like removing Windows Components. the only screen i need in steam is the play games screen. ALL of those other screens are worthless, and i should be allowed to remove them to save some RAM

Rakeesh
02-18-05, 11:13 AM
They should add an option that makes the steam client terminate when you are finished playing your game. Also, I am sick of seeing games that I don't even own always being listed first, that is really gay. Steam has spammed me numerous times to buy games that I really could give a rats ass about.

Q
02-20-05, 02:31 AM
Steam likes to jump to 50 megs on my machine after playing HL2. Out of my one gig, thats 5%. If I had only 512megs, that would be 10% of my ram.

This is ONE game I bought, wanting this much memory is rediculous. Steam is good in principle, I agree, but it is very far from proper execution.

I personally stop unneededed services and programs from starting so i can get the most out of my system. I've put a lot of cash into my system and worthless memory chugging apps like this reduce my performance, oh so insignificantly, but still....its like I wasted 5% of the money I used to buy my memory with.

It does add up.