PDA

View Full Version : FFXI Clipping plane/Fog errors

omzig
02-18-05, 09:30 AM
I've just started to play FFXI earlyer this month and ive have been having a horrible time juggling driver set's to get it to run correctly on my pny 6800GT

Atm im stuck using 61.77 as these are the only drivers that SE recommends for FFXI on the 6800 and are the only one that look semie right

The main problem i have is that the far clipping plane is'nt rendering correctly
and parts of the landscape & other item's (tree's planets,rocks)popup/clip in which is quite distracting & i know that this is'nt the way the game should render

here's a short movie caught using fraps (only 995k in size & 9 seconds long) that show's both problems

http://www.gizmosplace.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/FFXI_Clipping.wmv

now i've been through every set of Drivers for the 6800 sofar released(beta,leaks,whql)and every set post 61.77 has even more rendering problems in FFXI (lightmap errors,lense flare showing through everything,no fog,zbuffering problems ect ect ect)

ive pored over every FFXI/Nvidia forum i can find only to find other 6800 user also have these problms & ive also contacted SE im a waitting a non auto-reply from them (forget contacting Nvidia about issuse's with there drivers as from what i can see this seems nigh on impossible)ive tweaked AGP mem setting's ingame option's used rivtuner,3da ectectect but the problem remain's

Does anyone have any info or tip's about fixing this problem ?

im begining to think this might be a hardware problem with the 6800 & fog as nither NV or SE have fixed the problem & ive seen posts about this problem dating back to july 2004 so why has'nt been fixed? as this is one of NV's pimpped out TWIMTBP games its a pretty poor showing on there front that they have'nt taken step's together with SE to fix it :thumbdwn:

Absolution
02-18-05, 10:30 AM
i think thats how ffxi renders the scene, happens on my friends 9700 and anothers 9800

|MaguS|
02-18-05, 11:12 AM
Yeah, FFXI has a horrible draw distance, things will pop in no matter what. All is good...

omzig
02-18-05, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the replys guys

We'll im a little disapointed about the clipping plane but im sure i can learn to live with it on the other hand im still a little pissed that nv have'nt bothered to fix there drivers & or SE the game to work with more up todate set's i mean 61.77 are 8 month old FFS!

NaitoSan
02-18-05, 09:44 PM
ffxi clipping plane seems to be normal, i never seen any that has unlimited clipping plane (which would be really nice :) i'm using 71.81 and runs great execpt when someone starts casting firaga III, it slows the game down like hell. i guess alpha transparent got broke or something i dunno but performance's just good.

Absolution
02-19-05, 02:48 AM
heh... ffxi engine is crappy imo, then again its like 3 years old

the game's texture quality seems so low (even on high)

NaitoSan
02-19-05, 06:55 AM
yeah, wish SE took extra time to use some nifty features from directx9 for pc port. at least we're able to play it at higher resolution... im running it in 1280x720 using 16:9 mode in-game. at least it's looking sweet especially expansion's area which has better textures.

omzig
02-19-05, 02:53 PM
yeah, wish SE took extra time to use some nifty features from directx9 for pc port. at least we're able to play it at higher resolution... im running it in 1280x720 using 16:9 mode in-game. at least it's looking sweet especially expansion's area which has better textures.

Did you apply the background rendering reg mod's to get AA working?
if not Here's a link for more info

http://vnboards.ign.com/FFXI_Tech_Support_Board/b22547/59558237/p1/

im running 1280x1024 with 2048x2048 background rez and it really help's clean up FFXI a treat :)

NaitoSan
02-19-05, 06:01 PM
Did you apply the background rendering reg mod's to get AA working?
if not Here's a link for more info

http://vnboards.ign.com/FFXI_Tech_Support_Board/b22547/59558237/p1/

im running 1280x1024 with 2048x2048 background rez and it really help's clean up FFXI a treat :)Haha yeah, I used this hack. FFXI looks even better. I set it in widescreen cause FFXI supports true 16:9. :)

http://home.comcast.net/~silencerelite/ffxi/ffxi00.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~silencerelite/ffxi/ffxi02.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~silencerelite/ffxi/ffxi03.jpg

omzig
02-20-05, 08:12 AM
Nice pic's :)

I got a fair few lvl's to go (i just hit 20) before i hit those new xp pack area's but they do look a hell of a lot nicer that bastok ;)

Quick edit : ive just tryed 71.81 & found out that sun/lenseflare fx's is totally missing & a strange micro pause every few min's seems to have worked it's way i as well....so back to 61.77(& broken profiles)untill Nv/Se get around to fixing the problems....

NaitoSan
02-20-05, 04:00 PM
Sorry about that. Some people has problem with 71.81. Sun/lense flare works fine on me. Hehe, what server are you on? I'm on Diabolos. I'm PLD75, working on NIN now. :)

Let's hope next release (official) will work even better with FFXI.

omzig
02-22-05, 06:26 AM
Sorry about that. Some people has problem with 71.81. Sun/lense flare works fine on me. Hehe, what server are you on? I'm on Diabolos. I'm PLD75, working on NIN now. :)

Let's hope next release (official) will work even better with FFXI.

Hey no problem i was sure id tryed them when they hit but i've been through that many driver set's i could'nt remember which had all the bug's and which had only a few...

My server is fariy and im a lvl 20blm/7whm id really enjoying it atm and although combat is a little slower than other mmorpg's ive played its a lot more tatical

i cant wait for the 23rd patch so i can try the fishing sub game,i just hope SE have taken the time to update to a later driver set

NaitoSan
02-22-05, 12:13 PM
get on diabolos before you get farther ;) i can get you worldpass.

once you get to 60ish, it's going to get fun since you'll get all AF and whatnot. i can tell you at 75 things' going crazy like fighting Gods, HNMs, high lvl BCNMs and so on.

btw 75.90 is released, you might want to try it. im going to try it right now.

omzig
02-22-05, 01:44 PM
get on diabolos before you get farther ;) i can get you worldpass.

once you get to 60ish, it's going to get fun since you'll get all AF and whatnot. i can tell you at 75 things' going crazy like fighting Gods, HNMs, high lvl BCNMs and so on.

btw 75.90 is released, you might want to try it. im going to try it right now.

Many thanx for the offer of a world pass :)
but myself & a few friends all started about the same time so were all partying lvl'ing and mission/questing together very well atm so id hate to leave that behind as i know the few times i've party'ed with other ppl it can all go very very wrong,very very quickly hehe
but if i ever feel like starting from scratch i'll give you a shout ;)

Ive just throw 75.90 in this morning and im very happy to report that there the best set yet :)

lense flare is back and there are no strange hic'up's that where present in the other drivers(apart from 61.77) i still have a few strange z-buffer error's (flag's on the gate house in bastok ,choc tale's and a few other alpha based texture's seem to have this problem)but if this is an art/driver or hardware issue im not sure and from what i can see by another poster here im not the only one with this problem :(

Thanx again for all your reply's :D

NaitoSan
02-23-05, 12:46 AM
heh np. :) hope you have fun over there at fairy. i tried 75.90 and i am getting some crazy artifacts but it could be other thing that causes it. hmm gonna check few things. otherwise back to 71.81 for me. :(