PDA

View Full Version : Audigy1 vs. Audigy2 Value... best value for $50??

ragejg
02-18-05, 08:37 PM
I DO NOT spend more than around $50 for a sound card... I don't have awesome speakers, but I do expect good playback quality out of my sound card, I like to use some EAX in a few games, and I don't like cpu cycles being eaten by sound processing.

The original OEM Audigy, model SB0090, IMO has been really good to me. I've bought 3 over the past few years for myself and others, and have found it to be agreat card, definitely besting my other sound cards (Live! 5.1, Live! Value).

I can still find this card in a few webstops for about $50.

Lately however, the entire planet earth seems to be becoming overrun with this new species, called the Audigy2 Value. Look, I hear "Value" and I think "software assist" for some reason... Maybe I'm wrong and this new Audigy2 is a full blown new-iteration EMU DSP that eats less cpu cycles and has better playback quality and S/N ratio... I really don't know, and so I sit at these crossroads and don't know which to get, the trusty SB0090 or this newfangled Firewire-less card...

BTW, I'm happy using a 2.1 speaker setup... I can't really have speakers behind me the way my PC room is set up. Oh and also I do fully intend on running a line out to my DTS reciever, if that makes a difference between these two cards.

Thanks in advance for any input. :)

Shamrock
02-18-05, 11:14 PM
I would get neither, I have owned every Soundblaster since SB 8bit, and their drivers have went downhill ever since. The AUD2 is now crap, I know, I have an AUD2 Platinum (not the ZS)

save some money and buy a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz (Aureal) uses less CPU usage, and has BETTER drivers. I think it's only $48 too. It has 5.1 (or is it 5.1) and can use EAX 2 extensions. My AUD2 is dull sounding with my Logitech Z5300's and it also sounded as bad with my ALtec Labsing ADA-305's. My Brother has the same sound card, and it sucks with his Cambridge Soundworks 4.1

I know this will be my next card. I had a Voyetra sound card once, it was the crispest card I ever owned, but cheap brand, and it burnt out. Voyetra is now Turtle Beach.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-118-102&depa=0

or for $2 more, you could get the Catalina, it has 7.1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-118-104&depa=0

jAkUp
02-18-05, 11:20 PM
My Audigy 2 ZS is awesome. Same thing with my Audigy 2. If you stick to installing just the drivers, you will have no driver issues. Just don't use the CD. Its pure bloatware.

seeker010
02-19-05, 01:19 AM
I DO NOT spend more than around $50 for a sound card... I don't have awesome speakers, but I do expect good playback quality out of my sound card, I like to use some EAX in a few games, and I don't like cpu cycles being eaten by sound processing.

The original OEM Audigy, model SB0090, IMO has been really good to me. I've bought 3 over the past few years for myself and others, and have found it to be agreat card, definitely besting my other sound cards (Live! 5.1, Live! Value).

I can still find this card in a few webstops for about $50.

Lately however, the entire planet earth seems to be becoming overrun with this new species, called the Audigy2 Value. Look, I hear "Value" and I think "software assist" for some reason... Maybe I'm wrong and this new Audigy2 is a full blown new-iteration EMU DSP that eats less cpu cycles and has better playback quality and S/N ratio... I really don't know, and so I sit at these crossroads and don't know which to get, the trusty SB0090 or this newfangled Firewire-less card...

BTW, I'm happy using a 2.1 speaker setup... I can't really have speakers behind me the way my PC room is set up. Oh and also I do fully intend on running a line out to my DTS reciever, if that makes a difference between these two cards.

Thanks in advance for any input. :)
Audigy 2 value is pretty much the Audigy 2 without the fancy software package and firewire port. Same DACs and Emu 10k2.

Honestly don't see why you by into the hype that Audigy cards are the only ones that can game... the diff on a high end processor as yours is pretty small (usually within 10%). The big advantage of course is EAX 3 and above, but I dunno how well that would sound with only 2 speakers.

For music AV-710 is better, especially if you have a pair of decent (50+) headphones.

That said, even on a pair of AL 251 speakers the difference between A2 and A1 is subtle but noticeable.

MUYA
02-19-05, 01:20 AM
NO WAY
ADUIDY 2 VALUE IS based on Ensonque (not Creative designed one) audio processor which is inferior....or so DSC says

jAkUp
02-19-05, 01:21 AM
Whats "aduidy?"

I think its P Diddy's new line of soundcards :D

MUYA
02-19-05, 01:25 AM
Yea..yea, it be pimping y;all's a$$'s :p

jAkUp
02-19-05, 01:32 AM
I just wanna know when we will be able to use soundcards in SLI mode :D one for the right channel, another for the left ;)
I think it will be the first soundcard to require active cooling :D

You know, when I was just a wee little computer geek, I was actually considering putting a heatsink on my Soundblaster Live. Why? I have no ****ing clue. LOL :D

MUYA
02-19-05, 01:35 AM
Yup, u is a nerd! :D

SH64
02-19-05, 01:39 AM
SB A2 value .

MUYA
02-19-05, 02:26 AM
OK I was mistaken..I have just been informed..I am wrong..GO with the A2!!!!!