PDA

View Full Version : Order Pizza in EQ2!

Pages : [1] 2

jAkUp
02-19-05, 12:09 AM
In this week's latest CNN Game Over Column: "While ads have been trickling into games for a while now, that trickle is about to become a torrent. This week's Game Over column on CNN/Money looks at the coming flood and discusses two of the more unusual approaches. EverQuest II players will be able to order pizza in-game starting next week - and be on the look out for all sorts of ads in the new Splinter Cell and Rainbow Six games. The question is: How will players react?"

http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/17/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm

I actually think this is a good idea. Making video games nowadays costs millions. This will help with revenue, and possible better games by developers not worrying so much about loss of money from taking risks with game ideas that are not mainstream.

Its beginning to get to the point where its either, charge more money for games, or have ads and such to make up for the huge expenses in game development. I really doubt they will make the ads too intrusive, although I can see where it might be.

SH64
02-19-05, 12:13 AM
and be on the look out for all sorts of ads in the new Splinter Cell and Rainbow Six games. The question is: How will players react?"

exactly what we need now .. ads in games :rolleyes:

ChrisRay
02-19-05, 12:17 AM
http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/17/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm

I actually think this is a good idea. Making video games nowadays costs millions. This will help with revenue, and possible better games by developers not worrying so much about loss of money from taking risks with game ideas that are not mainstream.

Its beginning to get to the point where its either, charge more money for games, or have ads and such to make up for the huge expenses in game development. I really doubt they will make the ads too intrusive, although I can see where it might be.

Battle.net has been doing it for a long time now.

circuitbreaker8
02-19-05, 12:18 AM
Lol....people are taking games a little to seriously..

jAkUp
02-19-05, 12:21 AM
Lol....people are taking games a little to seriously..

Why should it not be taken seriously? Gaming is growing and is approaching movie size production quickly. You see it all the time in movies, it only makes sense that one of the other biggest forms of entertainment would have it also, gaming.

Edge
02-19-05, 12:58 AM
Actually I've seen this a long time ago, I remember Jet Moto had a whole bunch of billboards and such along the racetracks. I don't actually think it's that bad of an idea as long as the money is put to good use, or better yet the game is made cheaper because of it.

Actually...that just gave me an idea: what if rather than a monthly fee in MMORPGs, they just have advertisements and such in-game to pay to keep the game running? I don't know about you, but I would rather have to walk by a few advertisements in-game than pay a recurring fee! Unfortunatly, it seems Everquest 2 now has income from BOTH sources...so much for passing the savings onto the customer :rolleyes:

LycosV
02-19-05, 12:58 AM
I've always liked advertising in games (when it's done correctly). When the pop can on the desk is Pepsi or Coke, or when the billboards advertise Axe (Holy crap there were alot of those in I think NFSU:2) it makes it look more real. Fake items and advertisements in games take time to come up with good ones and distract from the realism. Having real ads in games gives them some extra cash, or at least doesn't cost anything, and it makes the games tap into our actual lives.

nVidi0t
02-19-05, 01:00 AM
I feel that adverts would really be detrimental to the sense of disbelief you often get in RPG games in a fantasy/sci-fi setting.

Lil Sassy
02-19-05, 01:09 AM
exactly what we need now .. ads in games :rolleyes:Some games can benefit from real world ads being part of the environment, but only the ones set in the present.

If it gets to the point where I am drinking Coke to boost my stamina and buying Nike Plate Mail in The Elder Scroll IV, I will stop playing games, (which would REALLY SUCK!!!)

SH64
02-19-05, 01:09 AM
That will depend of where they put the ads .. if they put them in the right place in the right game .. it will be alright & fine by me .. & like what you said it could make the game even more realstic .
but if they used it in wrong places throught the game like loading or intro screens that will be a disaster . imagine some companies ask for longer loading screen for there ads ! heh
or ads like " Quake IV powered by Pepsi" or " Stalker .. brought to you by Hardeez" :p

jAkUp
02-19-05, 01:13 AM
Hopefully they throw in some Hooter's ads :D

Lil Sassy
02-19-05, 01:22 AM
Yea, they'll ship Quake IV with a cheapy usb bar code scanner and Pepsi will start putting a unique bar code on every can.

Want to host a DM with 12 bots? Scan 2 cans. Want a 16 player lan game? You'll need 16 copies of the game, you'll need to BUY the latest patch, and then scan 6 cans, adding a can for each map change.

Argggg, the possibilities!!!!! :thumbdwn:

jAkUp
02-19-05, 01:24 AM
Yea, they'll ship Quake IV with a cheapy usb bar code scanner and Pepsi will start putting a unique bar code on every can.

Want to host a DM with 12 bots? Scan 2 cans. Want a 16 player lan game? You'll need 16 copies of the game, you'll need to BUY the latest patch, and then scan 6 cans.

Argggg, the possibilities!!!!! :thumbdwn:

LMAO

oh god no

Maybe you can get the hax0rd version that emulates the bar scanning program :D

Lil Sassy
02-19-05, 01:27 AM
LMAO

oh god no

Maybe you can get the hax0rd version that emulates the bar scanning program :DYou know it. That would get cracked so fast it's not even funny.

Actually, if the adverts were during load screens and the advertisers really did pay for longer load screens (I would be PISSED), hackers would definitely cut that out for us.

The warez community, paying back the consumer, one crack at a time.

jAkUp
02-19-05, 01:29 AM
Reminds me of loading up the trial version of 3dmark 2005. It makes you consider buying the full version for 5 seconds before you can load it up... lol
Even has a 5 second countdown. :)

SH64
02-19-05, 01:35 AM
Yeah that countown alone in some trial programs pisses me off .. so imagine if a game used it esp when you are waiting for the next level or somethin' .

we may even get different ads for different settings . running a game on SM1.1 path will show a Coke ad while running on SM2.0 path will show a Gillett razors ad .. & so on ..

Lil Sassy
02-19-05, 01:49 AM
Maybe companies will license Valve's "realtime stuttering technology".

During the brief pauses created by this innovative technology, they could flash a quick subliminal message or picture of a product. Then, when the engine is ready to render some more graphics, the pop-up dissappears and all is well...till the next hitch.

1337_Like_ThaT
02-19-05, 03:31 AM
Wow, with all this in mind now, PC gamers are just going to get fatter and die shorter-lived lives due to Heart Complications :p Oh well, what's next, being able to call sex line #'s directly from in-game play in EQ2 using your broandband connection?? :D

Lil Sassy
02-19-05, 04:05 AM
Wow, with all this in mind now, PC gamers are just going to get fatter and die shorter-lived lives due to Heart Complications :p Oh well, what's next, being able to call sex line #'s directly from in-game play in EQ2 using your broandband connection?? :DNah, we'll live longer because we won't have to stress out about real life. :D

And the sex line? No, realtime sex-conferencing.:luv::naughty:

vampireuk
02-19-05, 06:46 AM
So where do I get my sony mallet of the nintendo?

nrdstrm
02-19-05, 02:21 PM
I won't comment about advertising IN game...but I don't mind /pizza in everquest 2 at all. The only advertising you see for it is at the launch screen and it's just a small blurb. And the convenience of just typing /pizza and having the order screen pop up for pizza hut allows my 6 hour a day addiction to propogate... :)
Nrdstrm

1337_Like_ThaT
02-19-05, 03:25 PM
You are all EQ2 Freaks!! All of you!! :D

Sorrow
02-19-05, 03:26 PM
WoW needs that, they'd make a lot of money. Plus I like pizza when I'm playing WoW more than I do when I'm playing EQ2. Pizza and lag don't mix.

Slybri
02-19-05, 04:37 PM
So you guy WANT more commercials in your video games? I play these games to escape advertisements. If you want pizza, alt-tab to desktop, bring up the browser, order some pizza, alt-tab back to game.
What's next? Little flyers for Domino's or Coke dropping off of mobs?

Video games are one of the few entertainment mediums that are relatively free of commercials. Please don't encourage them.

1337_Like_ThaT
02-19-05, 05:06 PM
WoW needs that, they'd make a lot of money. Plus I like pizza when I'm playing WoW more than I do when I'm playing EQ2. Pizza and lag don't mix.

What WoW needs to offer is the option to order a pizza straight through the game and eat it while in the 75 minute line to log on to their server :p LOL....