PDA

View Full Version : nforce and NCQ

zoomy942
02-19-05, 06:15 PM
so, with NCQ, does my drive have to specifically support it for me to see the benefits? i have looked aorund the web and there are lots of plaves with info about it, but noone says if its a hardware thing or just soemthing i can enable

dandano
02-19-05, 08:42 PM
so, with NCQ, does my drive have to specifically support it for me to see the benefits? i have looked aorund the web and there are lots of plaves with info about it, but noone says if its a hardware thing or just soemthing i can enable

You have to have both an NCQ hard drive and a chipset capable of supporting NCQ. There are certain models of Seagate 7200.7 and 7200.8 drives that have NCQ. Certain Maxtor DiamondMax 10 drives also have NCQ. The WD Raptor has a different kind of command queuing, TCQ.

I believe that only the Intel 925X chipset and the Nvidia NForce4 chipset are the only chipsets that currently support NCQ drives. You can still use NCQ capable drives on systems that don't support NCQ, but it will not be enabled.

Of course, all of this only applies to SATA drives.

smthmlk.
02-20-05, 04:52 AM
all seagate 7200.8's have ncq if i remember correctly.... might want to verify that ;)