PDA

View Full Version : SLI Install problem

ronin17
02-20-05, 01:06 PM
I decided to update my drivers and now everytime I install drivers I get the two video cards on seperate displays, on my real display and a default display. So I can't enable SLI at all right now. I have used official drivers 66.93 and right now I am trying to re-install the drivers I had on here before, Extreme G 66.77b drivers.

Any idea's on what I can do to stop it from installing that stupid default display?

garikfox
02-20-05, 02:08 PM
Do a clean install of XP then load up nForce drivers 6.39, Then install 71.81's. Then Enable SLI :)

ronin17
02-20-05, 02:19 PM
Really? the only solution is a clean install of xp? I find that hard to believe, there has to be some kind of work around for this.

DragonRR
02-20-05, 05:07 PM
It sounds a bit like SLI isn't actually operating at all....

Have you swapped over the widgit on the motherboard? It looks like a stick of ram with no chips.

Have you connected the two cards internally with the joining board? (The one you got with the motherboard)

Edit: oops sorry hadn't noticed this was 2 pages long!

ronin17
02-20-05, 05:50 PM
The board is set for dual video cards, and the SLI connector is on. Again I had SLI working without a problem before, so it's not like it never worked.

I just re-installed windows, installed 6.39 nforce, and 71.81 forceware. Sadly I am still getting two displays and no option of SLI. This is getting ridiculous.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, hopefully someone has had this problem and solved it.

Thanks.

garikfox
02-20-05, 06:31 PM
If u have the Asus make sure the EZ Card is in all the way it doesnt come on some in, all the way, No gold should be showing at all.

ronin17
02-20-05, 06:40 PM
Ah, I do have a small amount of gold showing. Definitely will make sure and try and seat it better. I'll check back in with the results.

ronin17
02-20-05, 06:57 PM
reseated the EZ select card and still nothing, I'll try to reinstall the drivers now and see if anything changed.

PSYCHODAD
02-20-05, 09:35 PM
Have you checked the bios settings for SLI. Might be a long shot, but worth a look.

ronin17
02-20-05, 09:38 PM
Have you checked the bios settings for SLI. Might be a long shot, but worth a look.

Yes, this problems happens with SLI selected to Auto and SLI.

Could you check and see what your cards are running at in PCI Express? My main card is PCI Express x2 and second card is PCI Express x8, which might have to do with the problem.

ronin17
02-20-05, 10:10 PM
Just looked what it exactly said under the SLI tab: before you can enable sli, all graphics cards must be installed in PCI Express slots with a bandwidth of x4 or greater.

Ok, so my main card is only at PCI Express x2 right now, so it looks like I need to figure out why.

garikfox
02-20-05, 10:11 PM
Just looked what it exactly said under the SLI tab: before you can enable sli, all graphics cards must be installed in PCI Express slots with a bandwidth of x4 or greater.

Ok, so my main card is only at PCI Express x2 right now, so it looks like I need to figure out why.

Has to be the slector card.

ronin17
02-20-05, 10:41 PM
I'll try and really seat that sucker in good. Maybe I am just being alittle too careful with it. I'll let you know how it goes, or if I just broke it in half, hehe.

ronin17
02-20-05, 11:00 PM
Put the selector in single mode and took out the second card and still the first slot is only registering PCI Express x2. Might be something wrong with this Motherboard.

ronin17
02-20-05, 11:16 PM
I put the second card into the first slot and it does read x16 with it in there. So it looks like my video card might be the one that is bad... which sucks because I just got this second card back from RMA to Evga friday.

garikfox
02-20-05, 11:57 PM
I put the second card into the first slot and it does read x16 with it in there. So it looks like my video card might be the one that is bad... which sucks because I just got this second card back from RMA to Evga friday.

That sux what is it a 6600GT ?

ronin17
02-21-05, 12:04 AM
2 eVGA 6800GT's, first time one was DOA, so I RMA'ed it back. Now the second one looks like it might be bad, it's stuck at PCI Express x2. So far I haven't had much luck with eVGA. I'm going to post a thread on their message boards and see if this is something that I need to RMA for. I tried updating the bios on the card and still nothing. Even tried going to the older bios and nothing. Crap...

mattkenn_4545
02-21-05, 12:45 AM
What I had to do to get a friend's SLI System working was to Flash one card with the bios of the other. Before that when I went into the sli tab in the display driver all it said was remove the non sli adapter or something similar.
BTW Back-up both bios's just In case.
This concieveably could be used to mix and match different manufacturers cards to get a workable SLI system. Pritty Cool.

garikfox
02-21-05, 07:08 AM
Wow, makes me wonder if my 2 x eVgas are gonna be ok :eek:

ronin17
02-21-05, 10:22 AM
I'll try flashing the "broken" 6800GT with the working 6800GT bios. Maybe that will fix something. I'm also going to switch around the cards and see if the broken 6800GT still shows PCI-E x2 on the second PCI-E slot. This is fun stuff, lol

ronin17
02-21-05, 11:10 AM
FINALLY, switched the cards and got my x8 on both slots back. SLI can once again be enabled. It's so weird that the first card suddenly refused to go x8 in the first slot, but as soon as I moved it, acted perfectly normal.

Chalk one another one up for "WTF was that about?"

Thanks again for the help guys. Hopefully if someone has a similar problem they can look to this thread for ideas. :cool:

garikfox
02-21-05, 11:45 AM
Coolness :)