PDA

View Full Version : After 67.66: Four Extra Monitors Still There on Different Version Drivers!

CKTurbo128
02-20-05, 05:51 PM
Ever since installing the 67.66 drivers on my GeForce 6800 Ultra, I've had four extra monitors show up under Device Manager. Even after uninstalling those drivers and using 71.20, 71.50, and now 71.81, they're still there! Of course, I've
tried right-clicking "Uninstall" under Device Manager like everyone else suggested, but just right-click "Scan for hardware changes" and VOILA, the four extra Default Monitors are back again there again. There has to be some registry that the 67.66 drivers left behind. Does anyone know which registries to delete to get rid of these four extra monitors?

Peoples-Agent
02-20-05, 06:03 PM
Yeah, I also need to know the answer to this one lol

superklye
02-20-05, 06:10 PM
Is it really that big of a deal? I guess, since I've never used the drivers, I don't know what it's like...but is having those monitors showing up that bad of a thing?

saturnotaku
02-20-05, 06:15 PM
To get rid of those extra entries, navigate to this portion of the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\D ISPLAY

In that tree, you should see the listings for "Default_Monitor" and you can delete from there. Before you can do that, right click on the "DISPLAY" part, select permissions and make sure you have it set so that you have full control over it. If you try to delete anything without doing this first, Windows will cough up an error message saying the key cannot be removed.

CKTurbo128
02-20-05, 06:18 PM
It's just an annoying issue to have, especially if the 67.66 drivers made a registry entry for four monitors and never bothered to remove them upon uninstall. I have already tried several runs of Driver Cleaner, but they don't take care of this issue. Also, if I do decide to switch to an X800, I don't want ATi's drivers to report that I have four extra monitors that don't even exist.

Why the heck did the 67.66 drivers create four extra monitors in the registry in the first place!? So annoying. :mad:

EDIT: Thanks, saturnotaku! :)

saturnotaku
02-20-05, 06:20 PM
EDIT: Thanks, saturnotaku! :)

You're welcome. :)

It took me forever to figure out where those damn entries were. I actually clear out all of that entire tree when I change video drivers. Saves any potential conflicts from starting.

ssj4goku887
02-20-05, 06:57 PM
You're welcome. :)

It took me forever to figure out where those damn entries were. I actually clear out all of that entire tree when I change video drivers. Saves any potential conflicts from starting.

hmmm cinluding this in a driver would it be a problem? im thinking maybe for some people who dont have their monitor drivers installed and have a default monitor actualy installed will this mess something up?

ronin17
02-20-05, 07:12 PM
I have tried deleting the registry for the default monitor, but it doesn't keep it from coming back. I still can't enable SLI because of having two monitors, I am trying to use Extreme G 66.77b btw. I had SLI working with 66.77b before, but decided to try 71.81 and haven't been able enable SLI since.

Vagrant Zero
02-20-05, 07:23 PM
Wouldn't driver cleaner get rid of this?

superklye
02-20-05, 07:24 PM
I still don't understand what the big deal is

ronin17
02-20-05, 07:33 PM
well at least for me, I think these extra monitors are keeping me from enabling SLI, so that kind of sucks.

superklye
02-20-05, 07:37 PM
Oh, okay...well then, yeah, that would be a problem. :)

saturnotaku
02-20-05, 07:57 PM
Wouldn't driver cleaner get rid of this?

No, it doesn't. It only cleans out driver files and registry entries, not those related to the monitor.

im thinking maybe for some people who dont have their monitor drivers installed and have a default monitor actualy installed will this mess something up?

Nope, that's not it either. My monitor is natively supported by Windows, and when installing these drivers I still get the 4 extra Default monitor entries.

mobilenvidia
02-20-05, 08:15 PM
Reboot in safe mode.
Unistall video driver the usual way (add/remove progs) use a cleaner if nescesary.
Now goto System properties then 'Monitors' remove all monitors that show up.

Reboot machine again, and when new hardware found 'VGA device' point the installer to the directory with the driver (any but 67.66).
After installing the video driver it will say new monitor found, let windows find this, ie it becomes PlugnPlay (recommnded) or point it to your monitor INF.

This should remove all monitors and keep them away. fingers crossed and tongue sticking out to the left wiil help also.

ronin17
02-20-05, 08:17 PM
Reboot in safe mode.
Unistall video driver the usual way (add/remove progs) use a cleaner if nescesary.
Now goto System properties then 'Monitors' remove all monitors that show up.

Reboot machine again, and when new hardware found 'VGA device' point the installer to the directory with the driver (any but 67.66).
After installing the video driver it will say new monitor found, let windows find this, ie it becomes PlugnPlay (recommnded) or point it to your monitor INF.

This should remove all monitors and keep them away. fingers crossed and tongue sticking out to the left wiil help also.

I'll give it a go, thanks.

ronin17
02-20-05, 08:37 PM
no dice, still getting the blasted default monitor. I am using 71.81 drivers right now.

-=DVS=-
02-20-05, 08:39 PM
Hmm i had similar problem when finally i decided to try out 71.81 before that i had 66.93 and never tried higher betas....
So i got also extra default monitors what i did was , from device manager select uninstall they gone and never appeared again .

Edit: i noticed someone already tried that and didn't work for them :p windows must be borked >< reinstall an option ? (i hate doing that personally takes me 1 or two days reinstalling all programs)

ronin17
02-20-05, 08:44 PM
I'm working with a fresh install of winxp pro right now, I don't understand how I went from having SLI working perfectly to this. I'll mess with some more options and see if I can't SLI back.

ronin17
02-20-05, 09:24 PM
It's strange, if I disable SLI in the bios and install drivers I only get 1 monitor. Once I enable SLI the second monitor is installed and I'm not able to select SLI.

Also my main video card is at PCI Express x2 right now and my second is at x8. I thought they should both be at x8?

Peoples-Agent
02-20-05, 09:50 PM
To get rid of those extra entries, navigate to this portion of the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\D ISPLAY

In that tree, you should see the listings for "Default_Monitor" and you can delete from there. Before you can do that, right click on the "DISPLAY" part, select permissions and make sure you have it set so that you have full control over it. If you try to delete anything without doing this first, Windows will cough up an error message saying the key cannot be removed.

Your a star, much appreciated!!

Thanks,

- D -

npras42
02-21-05, 07:30 AM
I still don't understand what the big deal is

For me, because of these extra monitors it was somehow stopping me from setting custom resolutions, which is kinda annoying because I use a custom resolution for my desktop.

Knot3D
02-21-05, 07:54 AM
Odd... i went from 61.77 to 67.66 yesterday and it prompted me a window in which i had some install options to either choose pc monitor or s-video and single or multidisplay. of course I chose single pcmonitor display. I'll check after work if my taskbar lists more than one monitor though. Otherwise, these drivers are really good for my pc.

superklye
02-21-05, 10:22 AM
For me, because of these extra monitors it was somehow stopping me from setting custom resolutions, which is kinda annoying because I use a custom resolution for my desktop.
Ah, okay. I wasn't aware that it was keeping the system from performing correctly...I thought there were just extra monitors showing and it was annoying or something. Now I understand why it's a pain. :)

Tikimotel
02-21-05, 12:36 PM
with 71.80 and 71.81 and 67.66 i get four extra default monitors.
nview is set to "single display", but after unstalling the default monitors, windows re-detects them.
The windows Display properties; settings tab show 2 displays, 1 installed correct monitor and 2 "default monitor" (640x480 60Hz (TV maybe???))
I even tried registry (even the ones in controlset001 and controlset002) trick in both safemode and normal mode.

the funny thing is 66.93 and 71.20 don't have this problem of the 4 extra default monitors. So I'm currently using 71.20. (display properties only show 1 monitor)

Could this default monitor bug be a "nview" display/TV detect issue??? because the default monitor is limited to a max resolution of 1024x768x60Hz