PDA

View Full Version : Someone please help (flickering)

dagz
02-21-05, 03:24 PM
On my ffxi character (tarutaru) mostly his hair and parts of his clothes start to flicker when I am in game. In certain zones the flickering is worse and in other zones it is better like in a city. I switched to my 9800pro and it was nearly gone but I still noticed it very little. I then switched to a ti4400 and the problem reappeared again. My original card is a pny geforce 6800gt. I tried nearly all the drivers but still no help, what should I do? Is anyone having any other problems with there 6800gt similar to this? I wonder if this is a driver problem or a problem on FFXI's end or maybe (my luck) both my ti4400 cards and 6800gt is both broke. I wonder if I should just RMA it..

Video can be found here:

http://www.geocities.com/mike_dagz/ffxiflicker.avi (right click save as)

The things I have tried are:
Lower AGP speed to 4X
Disable fastwrites
Underclock my card
Reformat Windows XP
Tried nearly every supported driver.
Update my bios to 1009

AMD 3500+
Asus A8v deluxe
1gb corsair pc3200
100gb WD HD 7200rpm
550 watt power supply (did a test on it too)
pny 6800gt 256 (temp idle 55-58)

saturnotaku
02-21-05, 05:13 PM
Given that you're experiencing a problem with every video card you've tried and that this game is generally regarded as pretty crappy, I'd say the problem lies on the game's end. If it was an issue with your hardware, you would be experiencing similar behavior in all games you play.

dagz
02-21-05, 05:16 PM
Hmm, ffxi is a pretty popular game tho. I was getting studdering in World of Warcraft as well but there is a known problem for that. A lot of people play FFXI and I have been searching for days and I found 1 person that has a problem similar to mine and nobody replied to it. The thread was made in 2004. Tomorrow I think I am going to try this card on my sisters computer which has a ti4600 in it. Also the problem doesnt really happen on the 9800pro. You have to look really really close to even see it.

edit: Ok I just tried a brand new power supply again and the ti4600 from my sisters computer and it does the same problem. The square tech guy when I called was clueless. All he told me was: Did you uninstall the current drivers then reinstall the recommended ones? I said yes I tried all possible drivers for the 6800. Now it is either the motherboard, cpu or hard drive that is causing the problem if it is on my end =\ This sucks. If I could I would return the card and just get an ATI. :(

Absolution
02-21-05, 08:35 PM
ive got that both on my ti4600 and 6800 GT with any driver
its the game bud, also notice it on my friends 9800/9700

dagz
02-21-05, 10:08 PM
Hmm, is it just like that in the video? I remember on my 9800pro it wasnt really noticeable. Guess I will be waiting on a fix... =\

Absolution
02-21-05, 11:11 PM
sorry to dissapoint, but i doubt there will be an update to the ffxi engine
ive never seen one and ive played for over a year

dagz
02-22-05, 08:46 AM
Hmm somebody else on another forum thinks the problem is with nvidias z-buffer. Nvidia is only 24-bit while ATI forces 32bit. Could that be it?

|MaguS|
02-22-05, 09:22 AM
That looks normal, it looks like two polygons are being drawn too close together/over lapping. Usually is software base, not caused by drivers. THis could happen in any engine if the artists don't make the polygons fit properly. I could show an example in a custom map in HL1 if need be.

dagz
02-22-05, 11:11 AM
I guess ATI displays those polygons a lot better then than nvidia. Is it possible that they redid the character models for every single zone? For example in a city this barely happends. The polygons are perfect in certain zones, when in other zones it is messed up.

|MaguS|
02-22-05, 11:15 AM
no, that would be stupid. It just how your card renders it. ATI I believe removes hidden polygons better then nvidia so if two are intersecting it would remove the polygon that shouldn't be there.