PDA

View Full Version : To Diamondback or not to Diamondback?

saturnotaku
02-21-05, 08:55 PM
I recently received a pair of Visa gift cards thanks to a friend signing him and his wife up for Cingular wireless service. While I could use them to buy necessities in life such as food or gas, I'd prefer to spend them on something cool.

I've been thinking about acquiring a Razer Diamondback mouse. While I don't have any issues with my current MX510, the 1600 dpi optical is mighty tempting. I've re-read Clay's review of it and the software appears to be vastly improved over what Razer had with the Boomslang 2100 (which I owned for a while). I'm looking for some second, third and fourth opinions on this.

If I shouldn't go for this, what else would you recommend I spend this little windfall on? There are some DVDs I'm looking at getting. I'm not particularly interested in any games for PC or Xbox that are available right now. I'm willing to spend up to $100 total on anything.

superklye
02-21-05, 09:18 PM
I would recommend the Saitek PC Gamers' Keyboard...it's got the smoothest action on any keyboard I've ever had the pleasure of using. I love this thing.

*snuggles keyboard*

Clay
02-21-05, 09:21 PM
If you get the Diamondback, just keep in mind that it will take some getting used to as to how it feels/fits in your hand. It's different, but after a few hours I really began to like it. Some may not though, it's doesn't fill out your hand as well as the MX510.

I still love the Saitek PC Gamer keyboard too. Sold my Logitech Elite actually and so I'm committed to the Saitek for the time being.

saturnotaku
02-21-05, 09:28 PM
Been there, done that with the Saitek.

http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/logisys_kb606sl/index.shtml

When Saitek released its PC Gaming Keyboard I decided to give it a try. Sadly, I had to return it because it was too long to fit on my desk.

If you get the Diamondback, just keep in mind that it will take some getting used to as to how it feels/fits in your hand.

Upon closer inspection, the Diamondback appears to be of similar stature/layout to the MS Intellimouse Optical SE I used for a long time before getting the MX510. So while there may be some time needed to get re-acclamated (sp?) to that style, I don't think it'll be a big deal. What will probably take more time will be adjusting the sensitivity to my taste. With so many adjustments via software, that could take a while.

Clay
02-21-05, 09:31 PM
Yes, it is close to the "feel" of the MS Intellimouse Optical SE. You're right, the sensitivity takes some getting used to but you can really scale it down down quite a bit (that's the way I like it anyway). :)

Sazar
02-21-05, 09:37 PM
I recently received a pair of Visa gift cards thanks to a friend signing him and his wife up for Cingular wireless service. While I could use them to buy necessities in life such as food or gas, I'd prefer to spend them on something cool.

I've been thinking about acquiring a Razer Diamondback mouse. While I don't have any issues with my current MX510, the 1600 dpi optical is mighty tempting. I've re-read Clay's review of it and the software appears to be vastly improved over what Razer had with the Boomslang 2100 (which I owned for a while). I'm looking for some second, third and fourth opinions on this.

If I shouldn't go for this, what else would you recommend I spend this little windfall on? There are some DVDs I'm looking at getting. I'm not particularly interested in any games for PC or Xbox that are available right now. I'm willing to spend up to $100 total on anything.

if you haven't tried the mx1000... I suggest giving it a decko...

I went from the razor 2100 to this and I am loving every moment :D

Clay
02-21-05, 09:53 PM
if you haven't tried the mx1000... I suggest giving it a decko...

I went from the razor 2100 to this and I am loving every moment :D
I use an MX1000 at work and I really like it. However, at times my cursor will be *poof* on the far left of my screen. It teleports! :) I'm wondering if it has something to do with my dual monitor setup. Not sure but I had the same problem with my MX700 only much worse. The MX1000 only does this a time or two each day.

sytaylor
02-22-05, 02:37 AM
I use an MX1000 at work and I really like it. However, at times my cursor will be *poof* on the far left of my screen. It teleports! :) I'm wondering if it has something to do with my dual monitor setup. Not sure but I had the same problem with my MX700 only much worse. The MX1000 only does this a time or two each day.

See my MX700 never does that, but my dads Intelimouse optical wireless thingie does it for fun. I tried to get him to have a quick DM game of quake III with me once, but he kept getting confused as to why it kept looking at the sky... :D

Clay
02-22-05, 08:06 AM
See my MX700 never does that, but my dads Intelimouse optical wireless thingie does it for fun. I tried to get him to have a quick DM game of quake III with me once, but he kept getting confused as to why it kept looking at the sky... :D
Yeah it's really bizzare and random. I've tried everything, turned my radio on/of, desk lights on/off, changed location of base station, etc....just random.

PaiN
02-22-05, 08:39 AM
What are you really going to gain by getting a Diamondback, when you have an MX510?.....Nothing
I'd bet on absolutely no detectable performance difference between the two...so if you like the feel of the MX.....put those gift certs. to better use.