PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Noob Question

toxikneedle
02-21-05, 10:37 PM
I want to reformat my computer, I got a buncha junk and just need to get a new clean start. I only have 1 HD and I want to reformat it. Now I know the logic behind formating a HD with Windows on it is just to reinstall windows. But, can someone tell me step by step whats the correct way to format, like so I know exactly how to do it....

Clay
02-21-05, 10:45 PM
What version of Windows are you going to reinstall? XP Pro, XP Home, 2000, ?

If XP...just make sure you have everthing you need backed up, files, network settings, etc. Make sure your BIOS is set to allow for booting from your CD drive and make sure it's order is before your HD. Then, just reboot with your XP CD in your drive and follow it's lead. Google for "reinstall windows" for more detailed help, there are tons of guides out there. Good luck :)

Clay
02-21-05, 10:47 PM
BTW, I'd suggest that you make a slipstream CD. They are very nice and make reinstalling a breeze, easiest way other than Ghosting.

Here's my favorite guide on slipstreaming: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

toxikneedle
02-21-05, 11:14 PM
Nevermind, I think I found a site on google that explains everything very detailed, Thanks.

Clay
02-21-05, 11:26 PM
Nevermind, I think I found a site on google that explains everything very detailed, Thanks.
NP, yeah there are many good resources out there.