PDA

View Full Version : Overheating with P4?

LORD-eX-Bu
11-30-02, 03:29 PM
Hey, I've been having lockups, trying to find what the problem is so I want to know, could it be that my P4 2.4 Ghz is overheating? It is 30-31*C idle, then under heavy load it can from 35-39*C maybe 40*C sometimes.:confused:

pelly
11-30-02, 03:47 PM
There's no way those temps are causing lockups.....time to start digging to see what you've changed/added within the last week or so...

:D

LORD-eX-Bu
11-30-02, 03:51 PM
Heh, thank goodness! I thought my CPU was freaking out or something. Lockups started when I upgraded my agp driver to 1.12, then I got rid of it and the prog remained. I formatted my HD and the problem is still there. LOL, maybe its not the AGP drivers after all.:eek: :D

pelly
11-30-02, 03:54 PM
Hmm....clean install of the OS and still having problems eh? No BIOS setting out of whack?

When in doubt, throw in the bare-essentials....ie: CPU, HD, CDROM, Mem, and graphics card and start from scratch....

Perhaps the memory needs to be re-seated if you've been fiddling in the case lately?

:D :confused:

LORD-eX-Bu
11-30-02, 04:09 PM
Okay, thanks! I'll try doing those things you said. I'll post later today if it helped. Thanks!:D

styles-T
12-01-02, 01:49 PM
I see in your sig...that your running DX9RC1

Maybe thats the cause...

40C isnt that bad..my athlon was running at 62C for a while until I realized my fan was not working properly..:eek:

LORD-eX-Bu
12-01-02, 02:48 PM
heh, that'd suck. But nah, I did what Pelly said, no lockups on anything yet, you did it man! w00t!:D :D :D

pelly
12-01-02, 03:24 PM
Sweet!
Glad to hear that everything worked out for you!

:D

Kruno
12-02-02, 12:10 AM
Pelly, what P4 Williamette temps will cause lockups?

Ryo-Ohki
12-02-02, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by !plonk*
I see in your sig...that your running DX9RC1

Maybe thats the cause...

40C isnt that bad..my athlon was running at 62C for a while until I realized my fan was not working properly..:eek:

Hah, that's nothing! :D I got a P!!! 1Ghz regularily topping at 90C+ before I realized what was happening (overheating beeps and jerky gaming performance). It is installed on a slot 1 -> socket 370 adapter, and it turned out the fan was completely loose on one side (one of the clips on the socket 370 was broken).

Guess what... It still works, but with another fan... :)