PDA

View Full Version : Join the Television Liberation Digital Front!

Clay
02-23-05, 12:42 AM
I'd like to get a good discussion going on this topic. I'm not very thrilled about Hollywood dictacting what I can/cannot record (at reduced quality or not at all) and I can't see the majority of people out there bending over to this either. The horse is out of the barn so-to-speak. We've all had the ability for years now to record whatever we want, whenever we want and some can go further in sharing that in their own home network or outside via the net or burning to CD/DVD media.

Thoughts?

http://www.eff.org/broadcastflag/
Today, you can use any device you like with your television: VCR, TiVo, DVD recorder, home theater receiver, or a PC combining these functions and more. A year from now, when the FCC's broadcast flag mandate [PDF] takes effect, some of those capabilities will be forbidden.

|JuiceZ|
02-23-05, 12:52 AM
This is the first time I hearing about this. Are they seriously considering mandating what we can/cannot use to record media? Please give me a break. The industry doesn't understand they're totally going the wrong way with this because its only going to increase the media sharing & recording activity in the long run.

The FCC as a whole is just run by a bunch of jelly back executives who seem to only make decisions when they're "pressured" by others :rolleyes:

GlowStick
02-23-05, 01:05 AM
Ugh, i knew this would soon happen. Every industry is getting sue happy. Hopefully there will allways be 'solutions' to make those problems go away (for the simi-skilled) at least.

Not much people can do to fight it, they have billions to lobby to get laws for them passed, the EFF really gets squat.

That pcHDTV tuner looks very nice. However id be wearly of turning my HTPC box over to linux, however mythtv dose look execlent.