PDA

View Full Version : Possible issue with PSU Or CPU? I'm clueless.

enigmaboy
02-23-05, 04:44 AM
Here are my system specs:

Athlon XP 3200+
1 gig DDR400 pc3200 corsair ram
ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe MB
MSI Geforce 6600 GT
Two seagate 120 SATA 7200rpm in RAID O
One Maxtor 7200 200GB drive
16X DVD drive
4X dvd writer
Antec Truepower 480W PSU

Now, my problem is this. In the last couple of months, my PC started making a chirping noise. It's sounds like it might be coming from the PC Speaker or a hard drive. However, the system wouldn't start without scrambling the graphics and making this chirping noise, so I though it might be my graphics card. I replaced the card (which was a 5900 Ultra) with the 6600 GT, and the scrambled graphics went away, but now the system will intermitantly make the chirping sound, and then pause for a few seconds, and then slowly snap back to life. Sometimes this happens frequently, sometimes it happens a lot. So I went into the BIOS and changed the FSB multiplier to 100mhz instead of 200mhz, effectively running the entire system at half speed, and I'm no longer getting the chirping sound, but this is an obvious inconvenience to run at half-speed.
I have been told that this could be a problem with the CPU going bad or the heatsink. Or it could be the power supply starting to go bad. I have no idea what to do, and I can't afford to keep replacing components. I was wondering if any of you knew what might be wrong, or if you'd come across a similar issue in the past. Thanks.

-Matt

dandano
02-24-05, 05:26 PM
Does anyone know if the graphics card can make sound? I was thinking it might be a voltage warning from the gfx card.

Fred_Flint
02-26-05, 04:44 PM
Hi,
I think itís the inductors that are used to regulate power on the main board. They vibrate and produce sound. My epox Nforce3 did it, it sounds very strange. I think I read this from the epox support site?

Regards
FredFlint.

john19055
02-27-05, 04:27 AM
I don't know about the 6600GT but my 6800ultra has a speaker or buzzer that will make a chip sound if it does not have enough power going to it or the 4pin power connector is not connected.