PDA

View Full Version : do you mod?

brady
02-23-05, 07:34 AM
does anyone here mod or has anyone here ever played around with the sdk? maybe even built a map or two?

ive got a little bit of background in c++ (from highschool) and i just baught a book from barnes and noble to refresh my memory, i also have some experienc modeling and animating with lightwave. ive been thinking about trying my hand at modding.

for those of you who do mod or map build. what kind of experience do you have and did you have prior to using the source sdk? what do you think the learning curve is?

basically im just curios. so any info would be helpful.

|MaguS|
02-23-05, 07:45 AM
I currently got back into mapping, I use to map for Quake, HL/CS and Unreal. As for modding, I started a mod awhile back for HL but abandoned it, insted I started developing my own game engine which has been in development about 2-3 years now.

Modding is pretty difficult, I think the Modeling aspect is probably the largest learning curve (why I have so much trouble, I suck at Modeling). Coding can be done smooth and steadily. With a basic knowledge you can start out with a simple "cheat" or "effect" mod and go into the more difficult editing as you get to know the SDK more.

Building an engine is a leap ahead though, I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to lose alot of sleep.

brady
02-23-05, 07:55 AM
thats interesting. to me the coding is the more daunting task. im no pixar employee but i think i can model ok. of course thats in lightwave.

Wolfhound
02-24-05, 04:33 AM
For me is more easy the coding part than the mapping or modeling part, I work as sysadmin on a telecommunications company and have to do a lot of coding, mainly scripts in unix server, and some apps in Visual Basic and C++, I had done maps for Quake 3 (Q3Radiant), Doom 3 (learning now DoomEdit), and learning Hammer Editor and 3DStudioMax

Rakeesh
02-24-05, 09:33 AM
That is why modding is always done in teams. It's pretty rare that you'll have anybody who is good at coding, modeling, texture artwork, level design, etc, all at the same time.

|MaguS|
02-24-05, 09:35 AM
That is why modding is always done in teams. It's pretty rare that you'll have anybody who is good at coding, modeling, texture artwork, level design, etc, all at the same time.

Tell me about it, creating an animation and physics engine with stick figures is funny though...