PDA

View Full Version : Racing Wheel For PS2

CHEVYMAN_02
02-23-05, 12:45 PM
What is a good racing wheel for the PS2?

stncttr908
02-23-05, 01:28 PM
This force feedback wheel looks excellent. It has a 900 degree turning radius too.

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-11735-1509-x-x-x

It'll run you $100 though.

ynnek
02-23-05, 05:19 PM
search this forum for DFP or Driver Force Pro.. I and other people made commments about it..

Long and short of it, its the best wheel logitech makes currently.. Plastic design,, but with bearings and optical sensor for wheel... plus the design is pretty "solid" for being made out of plastic.

Pedals _relatively_ suck

probably the best wheel out for mass marketing and pricerange..

there are better ones, but hte prices jumps ALOT, since its niche prof grade stuff basically.

oh and it unofficlaly works for PC too.

CHEVYMAN_02
02-24-05, 01:06 PM
i was looking @ these 2:

MC2 MicroCON Racing Wheel and Pedals (http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/232616.asp) - 29.99

or

Universal MC2 Racing Wheel (http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/225050.asp) - 50

but i want a shifter.

ynnek
02-24-05, 02:53 PM
To bluntly put it, you get what you pay for.

The potentiometers on the cheaper units aren't as percise/consistant

and they will wear and get dirty much easier..

plus they are generally flimsy in design.

The chea pones are made as an Xmas gift for a kid.. Parent goes out and buys kid a game.. looks for a steerign wheel, and picks the cheaper one. Kid opens presents, loads up the game and wheel, thrashes on it for a few hours, then chucks the wheel in the closet to colect dust.

I had a cheap Logitech model before.. it was fine for a while, but after loggins ome serious time in with F1C 99-02 mods, it went to crap.

For casual racing, or perhaps arcade games with alot of steering assist and deadzone programmed in, they will do fine, since the actual game controls are programmed to be so "muddy" to begin with.. . For example, NFSU2 on PC had this MASSIVE hard coded non adjustable deadzone in the actual game, which is amplified with my DFP(since its so percise) - I knew something was wrong when I first played the game cause the steering seeemd unresponsive and forced me to dial in so much input to get the car to just turn..

but anything more serious, like actual sim racers, you'll be fighting to drive straight, let alone turn, cause the wheel would be constatnly off center and "jumpy".. You try compensating by putting in a deadzone.. but then making tiny adjustments become immpossibe.

I just picke dup GT4 so tonite I'll be using my DFP on the PS2 for the first time. (use it on PC all the time).. Since its "made for GT4", I'm hoping they take advantage of the DFP's percision and take out the steering assists and deadzone..

PS, You can blame the popularity of FPS and console games for the death of the quality SIM controller mass market (wheels, pedals, joysticks, etc) Its why the relative few people left hang on and repair their old equipment.. or made the jump to the really expensive niche controllers..