PDA

View Full Version : 12fps lowest settings - 6800gt

dagz
02-24-05, 12:57 PM
Anyone have any idea why I am getting low fps in FFXI on the lowest settings with my 6800gt? This is in lower jueno btw quite a popular area but my 9800pro was able to run it nice and smooth with max AA/AF meanwhile my 6800gt is barely able to handle it without AA/AF on the lowest settings. I have all my drivers up to date with the latest bios/chipset drivers as well. I tried beta drivers, older drivers and none of it still wont help. I tried disabling fastwrites, underclocking my card and even overclocking a little and nothing works. The weird part is that I get a score of 5600 in 3dmark05 but in FFXI I get 12fps on the lowest settings =\. I think something in my card broke because this card was able to handle FFXI on the max settings with full AA/AF till about 5 days ago. I did a fresh reformat/defragged and still no help. Any advice? I am thinking about ditching this card and just buying a x800xt.

specs:
AMD 3500+
PNY 6800gt 256
550watt power supply
1gig ddr pc-3200 corsair single mode ddr400
asus A8V motherboard

superklye
02-24-05, 02:00 PM
If you have two monitors, you have to set the drivers to "single display" mode.

Toss3
02-24-05, 03:31 PM
If you have two monitors, you have to set the drivers to "single display" mode.
don't think havin' a second display on would cause the 6800 to not perform better than 12fps :thumbdwn: but do you have 8s AA on, when you say you have max AA? cuz ATI's 6xAA is still playable when nvidia's highest setting isn't :)

dagz
02-24-05, 04:16 PM
Yes am talking about 8s AA. I dont see what the problem is here tho. Think my card is probably defective?

J-Mag
02-24-05, 04:49 PM
is this the Final Fantasy Online you are talking about? B/c I can recall that it doesn't even use AA... (turn off AA globaly and see what happens)

dagz
02-24-05, 05:00 PM
I tried everything but yes I did notice something on all my cards for AA on ffxi. Even if it doesnt use AA my card still should be able to handle this. Also the lowest settings is without AA and AF. This card has been nothing but problems for me since I bought it =\

superklye
02-24-05, 05:02 PM
don't think havin' a second display on would cause the 6800 to not perform better than 12fps :thumbdwn: but do you have 8s AA on, when you say you have max AA? cuz ATI's 6xAA is still playable when nvidia's highest setting isn't :)
Yeah, well having two monitors does cause a problem. If you have it in two monitor mode, I can't remember where the setting was, the card is dividing it's power between both monitors.

Before I found out about this, I couldn't play doom 3 with everything on low in 640x480 with my GT becuase the frame rate was so low.

dagz
02-24-05, 05:06 PM
Nope only have it only says it is on 1 monitor. Just did some tests as well just now with my other rig that has a ti4600. lowest settings I got 20fps in the same area I was in when I scored 12fps with my 6800gt.

Edit: Also running on the plug and play monitor if that makes any difference.

jondaviskorn
02-24-05, 05:36 PM
ffxi may just have issues with 6 series cards idk havent really heard from anyone else playing ffxi on them maybe u should contact nvidia and see if they know of any problem

dagz
02-24-05, 06:28 PM
The funny part is that nvidia helped square bring ffxi to the pc =\

superklye
02-24-05, 07:11 PM
Nope only have it only says it is on 1 monitor. Just did some tests as well just now with my other rig that has a ti4600. lowest settings I got 20fps in the same area I was in when I scored 12fps with my 6800gt.

Edit: Also running on the plug and play monitor if that makes any difference.
Well, if you don't have two in the first place monitors this wouldn't be an issue and this obviously wouldn't be the problem. :rolleyes:

Kickus_assius
02-26-05, 01:24 AM
I think it's the drivers or the game. If you are still getting over 5000 in 3DMark05, your card is working just fine.