PDA

View Full Version : "Performance", "Quality", or "High Quality"

Pimpdad
02-24-05, 10:59 PM
I've noticed tons of benchmarks for many different cards. Information that seems to be lacking in these banchmarks are image quality settings. I'm curious which setting you use in the Nvidia Control Panel ("Performance", "Quality", or "High quality" and why?

gram_vaz
02-24-05, 11:04 PM
high quality. what's the use of having a 6800gt at anything less?

$n][pErMan
02-24-05, 11:18 PM
high quality. what's the use of having a 6800gt at anything less?
No joke.. I always use High Quality. Its why I bought the card... so I could look at all the pretty colors and enjoy the best of the best settings and still have it be playable :D

HowlingPhoenix
02-24-05, 11:53 PM
I normally use the Quality setting with my 6800nu, I dont see much of an improvement when using high quality and when I use high quality most of the time my games are unplayable due to my processor.

SH64
02-25-05, 12:03 AM
HQ . except in some games that the difference between Q & HQ isnt quite noticable when you play .
in games like Vampire Bloodlines i can hardly spot a difference between Q & HQ , but in game like Splinter Cell 3 (demo) the difference in the texture filtering is quite obvious & makes some of the surfaces looks ugly with all the textures aliasing & shimmering if you used "Quality" .
"Performance" is even worse .. use it only when you dont care about IQ , but rather you want more performance .

Marcos
02-25-05, 06:44 AM
"Performance" is even worse .. use it only when you dont care about IQ , but rather you want more performance .

thats pretty logical

Toss3
02-25-05, 06:57 AM
I normally use the Quality setting with my 6800nu, I dont see much of an improvement when using high quality and when I use high quality most of the time my games are unplayable due to my processor.
w00t? My processor is running at 2,4Ghz and I have no problems running games at high quality.. :wtf: don't know what u're talkin' about..

Kickus_assius
02-25-05, 12:48 PM
Always high quality.

mike2h
02-25-05, 12:52 PM
that cpu is more than fast enough. you might have other issues.

always hq.

superklye
02-25-05, 12:56 PM
[pErMan']No joke.. I always use High Quality. Its why I bought the card... so I could look at all the pretty colors and enjoy the best of the best settings and still have it be playable :D
Hmm...I bought it so I could play games in 8-bit color at 320x240 in Perfomance so I could get 3401FPS! LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!11

HowlingPhoenix
02-25-05, 07:53 PM
that cpu is more than fast enough. you might have other issues.

always hq.

Even if it is a 533 fsb? I also have my ram at 266. I just need a better motherboard and cpu...which I should be upgrading pretty soon. It may be fast enough when using high quality, but I get too many dips in frame rate in certain games when using that setting, I dunno..I just dont see that big of a difference between the two most of the time except for the loss of frames per second. I don't have any other issues with my system. I would definetly know if something was wrong.

john19055
02-25-05, 08:14 PM
I always set mine on High Quality ,For as much as I paid for this card no other setting will do when I am playing my games.

SLippe
02-26-05, 12:17 AM
I leave mine at HQ as well and 8xS AA and 8x AF @ 1024x768. If I benchmark, I turn everything down/off.

gram_vaz
02-26-05, 12:23 AM
also, be sure to turn off trilinear and anisotropic optimization.

nVidi0t
02-26-05, 12:43 AM
Turn it all up. Dont spend money on a beauty like a 6600 GT and have your games look like ****.

$n][pErMan
02-26-05, 01:01 AM
Hmm...I bought it so I could play games in 8-bit color at 320x240 in Perfomance so I could get 3401FPS! LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!11
HAHAHA. If that acctually had an ounce of truth in that.... oh man .. how sad :D lol

gram_vaz
02-26-05, 01:32 AM
lol, that wouldn't surprise me. i've read of ppl turning off v-sync for the extra frames. imo tearing has a huge impact on image quality.

nvnewbie
02-27-05, 01:01 PM
It may seem that quality is the way to go with 6800 GT and up but i've noticed that UT2k4 sems to bennefit from high quality to performance in this set of settings

1600*1200 2Q*AA 8AF (even in HQ, game runs like hell but if you want it hellier)

But i haven't seen another performance gain in other games between performance and high quality and (i think) the quality loss between P and HQ is barely noticeable in this game though i haven't researched enough to make any conclusion..