PDA

View Full Version : eVGA 6800GT Horrid Stock Cooling, Need Help..

H-street
02-25-05, 12:48 PM
Ok,

i just got my new components setup..

A8N-SLI (ND) w/3500+
evga 6800GT

i finally get all the software installed last night and i look and low and behold the 6800GT was running @ 73C at Idle..

so i start to dismantle the cooling system only come to find out the aluminum heatsink on the GPU is probably the lowest quality of heatsink i have ever seen..

sitting on my desk i think it was generating heat it is that bad..

the fact that the aluminum is heavily grooved from a poor manufacturing process is only one of the heatsinks problems (the other would be the wafer thin fins).

I did what i could for the poor thing and with a better fan in direct contact with the heatsink i am able to get it to idle at 61C which seems much better than before, but under load it warms up quite a bit (topping @ 81C)..

anyways so i am now in the process of looking for an aftermarket solution anyone have any suggestions?

grimreefer
02-25-05, 01:00 PM
zalman vf700

mike2h
02-25-05, 01:05 PM
zalman vf700

yep! just installed one on my gt(& it had a well designed cooler) got 12 - 14c drop at idle & about 20c drop under stress! easy to install too.

grimreefer
02-25-05, 01:12 PM
when u install the heatsink, is it possible to plug the fan into the psu instead of into the card?

mike2h
02-25-05, 01:20 PM
when u install the heatsink, is it possible to plug the fan into the psu instead of into the card?
i responded to your ? in the other thread you posted it in.

H-street
02-25-05, 01:37 PM
the zalman looks like the perfect solution.. since the evga setup is a heatsink for the GPU and then a larger one that goes over the memory i could still use the stock mem heatsink and just replace the GPU one with it..

mike2h
02-25-05, 01:49 PM
the zalman looks like the perfect solution.. since the evga setup is a heatsink for the GPU and then a larger one that goes over the memory i could still use the stock mem heatsink and just replace the GPU one with it..

why wouldyou want to? it comes with mem heatsinks too.

Pandora's Box
02-25-05, 01:55 PM
just buy the copper heatsink from evga.com doesnt void your warranty and its only like 10 bucks

john19055
02-25-05, 10:05 PM
I don't know how good it works on the EVGA 6800GT,but I bought a copper replacement heatsink for my Evga 6800ultra for $12 and it runs 10c cooler while running it with a load on it,now it never goes above 65c and the best part is that it does not void your warranty.