PDA

View Full Version : snd_digital_surround 1 can improve surround sound for everybody

Rakeesh
02-26-05, 04:35 AM
If you guys noticed in the update info of the last general source patch, valve added the cvar called snd_digital_surround. Enabling this forces the sound engine to send discrete audio channels to the audio device. It fixed a compatibility issue that source had with various sound cards (in spite of this, valve kept insisting that these soundcards had bad drivers the whole time.) I had to wait three months after buying HL2 for them to finally wake up and smell the coffee, that way I could get sound from more than one stupid audio channel.

Anyways, it has been reported that by enabling this on any card, even the ones not previously effected by the surround bug, that you will get more defined sound from all of the audio channels, as normally the different sound channels can bleed through to each other. Just thought I would throw it out there that you should try it if you haven't already.

Hopefully one of these days valve will release a patch that will bring HL2 completely out of this public pay to play beta stage.

nVidi0t
02-26-05, 05:14 AM
Thanks man, I'm going to try this after I get some sleep. My surround in HL2 is b0rked so it's worth a shot.

BioHazZarD
02-28-05, 11:02 AM
you add this to the shortcut ?

|JuiceZ|
02-28-05, 01:57 PM

It can be enabled through the console or just edit your csconfig file:

snd_digital_surround "1"

Its actually works very well I might add :jammin:

kev13dd
02-28-05, 07:40 PM
Should this be done in CSS?

K

Rakeesh
02-28-05, 09:55 PM

You can, and it might even be better to do it that way. The command wont work if the sound engine is already running (such as when freshly starting HL2) at the time it is activated. It also doesn't stick in the configs sometimes. I personally do it this way myself.

To make it global, open the steam games menu, right click on each source game you have, click properties, then click launch options, then in the string box, type "+snd_digital_surround 1" (no quotes) and click OK. Doing that will always ensure that it's enabled no matter what.

Should this be done in CSS?

K

Sure.

zoomy942
03-02-05, 07:08 AM
You can, and it might even be better to do it that way. The command wont work if the sound engine is already running (such as when freshly starting HL2) at the time it is activated. It also doesn't stick in the configs sometimes. I personally do it this way myself.

To make it global, open the steam games menu, right click on each source game you have, click properties, then click launch options, then in the string box, type "+snd_digital_surround 1" (no quotes) and click OK. Doing that will always ensure that it's enabled no matter what.

Sure.

i have a stupid question. in the launch options where i am gonna add +snd_digital_surround 1, i have the heapsize option in there, but it has a dash instead of a plus in front of it. does it matter?

WimpMiester
03-02-05, 11:53 AM
I tried on my SoundStorm and it did sound better but after a few minutes sound would crackle or cutout so I turned it back off.

nVidiaGuru
03-02-05, 02:02 PM
my sound was also crackling/cutting out. The soundstorm chip is notorius for that issue due to overheating. I turned my chipset voltage down and it solved my problem, or add a better heatsink. Also try cutting back on your FSB if your overclocking to see if that solves the issue

BioHazZarD
03-02-05, 02:33 PM
Well i just tryied i saw no real difference game runs about the same some slight stuttering but its barely anything to get upset on.

Rakeesh
03-02-05, 08:50 PM
i have a stupid question. in the launch options where i am gonna add +snd_digital_surround 1, i have the heapsize option in there, but it has a dash instead of a plus in front of it. does it matter?

The plus denotes for cvars that you can adjust ingame, the dash denotes commands that are launch parameters only. The dash is appropriate for the heapsize option, and the plus is appropriate for the snd_digital_surround.

Skinner-BH71
03-03-05, 03:23 AM
Great tip!!! :afro:

Css and HL2 sounds good.

Thanx!!

Killall
03-10-05, 07:12 PM
Enabling surround with 75.90 or 76.10 drivers will cause all sound to cut out... 71.84 are working fine. Dont ask me why, it just does..

Nutty
03-13-05, 07:39 PM
The soundstorm chip is notorius for that issue due to overheating. I turned my chipset voltage down and it solved my problem, or add a better heatsink. Also try cutting back on your FSB if your overclocking to see if that solves the issue

Notorius? You're the 1st person I've ever seen mention it tbh. Never had crackling in anything except Doom3. Anyone know if this new flag has any effect on cpu usage ? Is it manually panning the audio for every sound channel, when previously the sound chip was doing it ?

WimpMiester
03-14-05, 02:31 AM
Notorius? You're the 1st person I've ever seen mention it tbh. Never had crackling in anything except Doom3. Anyone know if this new flag has any effect on cpu usage ? Is it manually panning the audio for every sound channel, when previously the sound chip was doing it ?

Ditto

Rakeesh
03-14-05, 03:12 AM
I'll third that. I have never heard anything about a soundstorm overheating.

Nutty
03-15-05, 03:32 PM
I'm gonna have to do some benchmarking then when I get a free moment. Would love to know if this has an adverse affect on cpu performance, as I'm trying to tune CS:S for maximum frame-rate at the moment.

ynnek
03-15-05, 03:35 PM
i honestly didn't hear much of a difference, if any at all? I have pretty good 5.1 seperation already?

nVidiaGuru
03-17-05, 05:57 PM
Theres a few posts at amdmb.com that address the issue. If the south bridge on the nforce2 boards gets too hot then the crackling occurs. The southbridge controls quite a bit of the onboard features (Sound, USB, LAN, etc) Certain brands like dfi and asus are more prone to this issue. Perhaps other brands dont have this issue, but just cuase you havent heard about it doesnt mean its not true