PDA

View Full Version : Can a blown power supply kill your components?

Mr_LoL
02-26-05, 10:29 AM
Hi last night i was playing Vice city and my cheap 550w Q tec PSU http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Q_Tec_139.html which cost me 20 pounds blew up spectaculary with smoke and stuff :mad: So off i went to pcworld to buy a new power supply and now my Graphics card boots up with Lines across the screen, one of my ram sticks is faulty, my backup hard drive is dead, my soundcard is dead a well. Everything else though seems to work fine. I am currently using a Ge force 2 mx 400 with 32mb of ram which runs half life 2 on its lowest settings. Is it just a coincidence or has my power supply killed half my system?

jAkUp
02-26-05, 10:33 AM
Low quality powersupplys sometimes do not have automatic shutoff function so they could damage the components in a computer. Mainly hard drivers, video cards, and motherboards... sorry to hear about your losses there..

Mr_LoL
02-26-05, 10:37 AM
I am such a tool. I went out yesterday and bought another low quality power supply cuz i am skint. Oh well :mad:

jAkUp
02-26-05, 10:43 AM
Yea its best to get a decent power supply... (enermax, antec, ocz) They have automatic shutoff, so if you have an undervolt, or overvolt, it will shutoff the PSU before doing any damage to your system

Riptide
02-26-05, 11:16 AM
(enermax, antec, ocz)Don't forget PC Power / Cooling. :thumbsup:

Mr_LoL
02-26-05, 03:19 PM
looks like i'll have to sell one of my kidneys to fund new parts. My backup geforce 2 just doesnt cut the mustard :(

saturnotaku
02-26-05, 03:24 PM
I love my Thermaltake 560W. Only 22A on the +12v but it has active PFC and is happily powering my SLI video cards, 3 hard drives, 2 optical drives and 4 case fans. :D

Geordan
02-26-05, 05:14 PM
Crap, I've been getting lines on my screen occasionally after boot up. I just attributed it to my video card getting old, but I have a generic 400W that I think after hearing this, I'll be replacing this week. I'm looking at the Ultra X connect 500Watters. I know their decent, any of you have one to comment on though?

-Geordan

$n][pErMan
02-26-05, 07:44 PM
Dont think in only watts .. check the amp raitings!!!! They can mean more than watts!!!

_Thanatos_
02-27-05, 04:53 PM
yes. It can... Even brand name PSU-s (but it is rare).

Marcos
02-28-05, 08:06 AM
crappy power supplies >_<

Geordan - I have the xconnect it gets the job done. I got it for its looks first, then noticed the power

EciDemon
02-28-05, 11:32 AM
A too weak powersuply killed my younger brothers mobo/cpu

He was to upgrade to a duron 1.3ghz back in the days, He's not a wiz when it comes to these things, I did tell him that the old 250w would not do anymore but I guess he forgot.

So he gets a new mobo, new case and a new cpu. Installing went fine and everything booted as it suposed to. Then his monitor dies the very same day (out of age I think)

XP_GUN
02-28-05, 03:30 PM
You know what when I was coming into the computer moding market "just upgraded to a Geforce 4400 I got a 500w power supply for $30 off of ebay for a buy now price, it worked for about a year before it just took the big s*** luckally it dident take anything else with it. Anyway I went to a 300w antec and then to a new Ultra X-Connect 500W which was the best thing ever. :angel:

Mr_LoL
02-28-05, 03:41 PM
So i now need a new hard drive, another stick of ram and a new graphics card. Anyone need a spare kidney. I have three :(