PDA

View Full Version : 6800GT and World of Warcraft intro stuttering

Sow Bug
02-26-05, 02:42 PM
Not sure where to post this as it could fit in the gaming forum too.

I just bought World of Warcraft and haven't really played it yet, but right away I noticed that there is stuttering at the beginning race intro sequence, when the camera is panning through the game. I've turned off all details, switched to OpenGL, defragged my hard drive, etc., but nothing fixes it. I'm running no background programs and my system is nicely tweaked. From what little walking I did around the game, I didn't notice anything too annoying besides maybe a bit of stutter when approaching a large crowd. I'm just wondering if this will be a problem if I acquire a flying mount.

I have created a video in DivX format showing the problem here:

http://raingarden.zenblue.net/WoW_Intro_DivX.avi (4.7MB)

Please let me know if you're unable to download it.

Here is my setup:

Athlon 64 3200+ (no overclocking)
1GB Samsung PC3200 RAM (tests fine)
eVGA 6800GT 256MB (changed default latency from 247 to 64 due to stuttering problems in Far Cry - no difference in WoW when reverting back)
Audigy2 Value

I'm using all the latest non-beta drivers. Forceware 66.93. Latency in the server seems to be around 150-250 it's definitely not lagging out.

Anybody else experience this problem? Any recommended drivers?

retsam
02-26-05, 03:03 PM
download the latest drivers ( ya there beta, but man are they great for WOW) 75.90. you can get them at guru3d.com (password is guru3d.com) with your system you should be able to fly threw WOW. i have a GT with an xp 2500 and i can set all my details to full with 4x AA and full ansio...

good luck

retsam

Sow Bug
02-26-05, 03:49 PM
Okay, I just tried them and there's no difference. :(

I'm going to re-install WinXP.

retsam
02-26-05, 05:01 PM
Okay, I just tried them and there's no difference.

I'm going to re-install WinXP. ya i would say to reinstall xp. just make sure you have dx9c installed. and retry the drivers i told you about.. they do rock in WOW... good luck

ruziel
02-26-05, 05:35 PM
Try reinstalling WoW if you havent done that yet. I had a problem similar to that, reinstalling the game fixed it.

If you do reinstall, copy the game cds to your HD and install directly from there.

Sow Bug
02-26-05, 08:11 PM
I just finished re-installing WinXP (removed the partition, created it again, formatted), ugraded to SP2, installed new patches, latest Via 4 in 1, etc. Took a long time. Unfortunately the stuttering problem is still there, although a bit lessened. I've tried every known BIOs setting too. :(

retsam
02-28-05, 12:33 AM
I just finished re-installing WinXP (removed the partition, created it again, formatted), ugraded to SP2, installed new patches, latest Via 4 in 1, etc. Took a long time. Unfortunately the stuttering problem is still there, although a bit lessened. I've tried every known BIOs setting too. whats the temps on the card ....it could be a heat issue.

fugu_fish
02-28-05, 08:16 AM
Okay, I just tried them and there's no difference. :(

I'm going to re-install WinXP.

I can't believe that someone would reinstall their OS because a game intro stuttered! I forgot that WoW even had an intro...

I've seen other complaints about this, too.
I think mine even stuttered a bit, but I just bypassed the intro and dove into the game.

Riptide
02-28-05, 09:08 AM
It's probably a game or a driver problem that is showing up on his particular hardware combo. I agree with the last poster though, if it's just the intro then why kill yourself over it?

Sow Bug
02-28-05, 03:43 PM
Hi guys,

Actually, I was more concerned with stuttering if a used a griffon. But I'm still glad I re-installed XP because a fresh install is always a nice feeling. Oh, and my frame rates seem to have gone up now too. I'm not sure if it's because of the re-install or trying out the 75.90 drivers, but I used to get 30fps in one location (looking out over a forest) with all details on, and now I'm getting 40. :)

As for temps, I don't think that's a problem. GPU core is idling at 61C, ambient 42C. I believe GPU hits about 70C or so while playing a game. Come to think of it, I'm sure my idle GPU temp was 50C using the reference drivers. I'm going to re-install and see. I've never had any crashes, lockups or freezes. I played WoW for a few hours yesterday evening and it was fine.

Now I have to find a server with a good ping from Canada - I'm usually between 150-250, avg around 200 or so. There must be a better way to find out a good server instead of logging onto each one and checking the ping in game? Maybe someone has a list of the server IPs and locations?

Sow Bug
02-28-05, 04:40 PM
Ahhh! It appears I had encountered the infamous +10C temperature bug. I installed 67.66 and my GPU is now 50C and ambient 36C. No difference in frame rates either, so I'll stick to these drivers unless I encounter problems.

WeReWoLf
02-28-05, 06:39 PM
As far as i know, almost everyone has encountered stuttering with the intro. i know i did, but i have no problems with the griffons.

MrMike
03-01-05, 12:58 PM
You can't control the griffons anyways, and after a few times you'll just be getting up to go do something else or alt-tabbing out while the griffen flies to the new location. You'll get tremendous chop when flying into iron forge or someplace else heavily populated.

Sow Bug
03-01-05, 04:09 PM
Thanks all for your replies. I'm still glad I re-installed as my system feels much more zippier.

Now I need to put some money away for WoW addiction therapy. :D