PDA

View Full Version : My games gain nothing from SLI. CPU bound with 3500+?

bud951
02-26-05, 05:37 PM
Now I was dissapointed that UT2004 Onsaught does not work with SLI but not suprised giving what I have read about that game being so CPU limited. I thought for sure FarCry was a game that would benifit greatly from SLI as I had also read and seen the numbers. Well I have had my SLI setup for about a week and honestly I cant see a positive difference in any game I have tried using 2 6800 Ultras in SLI. Even Doom3 multiplayer drops into the 30's. The only difference is in the benchmarks. My 3dmark03 scoore went from 13850 to 21867 so I know SLI is working but I am not seeing any performance boost in games. I have disabled SLI and I have seen FPS go up in UT2k4 and FarCry so this is leading me to beleive that I am CPU bound with an AMD64 3500+ @ 2.4ghz. I try to play all games with at least 2xAA 4xAF at 1280x1024 since that is the max my monitor supports and I have tried to max the settings in Doom3 and FarCry with SLI but FPS drop to low to play. I thought this is where SLI was supposed to shine. If I do not disable shadows in Doom3 MP the game drops down to 20fps and lower! :( Someone please tell me I am doing somthing wrong or I dont have SLI configured properly because I am starting to feel physicly sick due to the fact I just blew my entire wad on this SLI setup just to see my 3dmark scoore double. Forgive me if I sound like I am ranting. I am just a bit dissapointed. If anyone has any ideas on what I should do it is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PSYCHODAD
02-26-05, 06:02 PM
I've seen significant improvements in most games I play. What drivers are you using currently?

bud951
02-26-05, 06:16 PM
Currently 71.81 but I have tried 66.93 and 67.71 also with little to no difference in performance. What are your settings in FarCry? Can you max everything out? What res do you play at? Thanks!

ChrisRay
02-26-05, 06:32 PM
I cant attest for Doom 3 multiplayer. But the single player gets a nice healthy increase. MUltiplayer games have all been relatively CPU bound in my experiences with SLI.

PSYCHODAD
02-26-05, 06:36 PM
I didn't care for the 66.93 drivers at all. Currently using the Xtreme G 67.66 quality drivers and using Nhancer to edit the game profiles. I'll probably try some of the newer beta drivers soon though.
Here's a recent bench I did on FarCry(1.3 patch)

jAkUp
02-26-05, 06:36 PM
Where did you find that DFI board?!?!!! Anyways, I noticed nice gains in FarCry. Try enabling HDR.

Riptide
02-26-05, 06:47 PM
This is one of those situations where you'll see some gains in certain places/games but not others. As jAkUp mentioned, if you turn on HDR it'll run faster than without SLI - because in that case you'll be clearly GPU limited.

FarCry was CPU limited with my system in certain areas even in single player. A classic example is the battle on the carrier level at the top of the deck with the helicopter. Even after getting my FX53 that level would still dive into the low 30's here and there during that battle.

BTW, I doubt there's anything wrong with your PC. I wouldn't sweat it to much.

3dmark03/05 are GPU bound. 3dmark01 is much more CPU bound.

bud951
02-26-05, 07:18 PM
Forgive the dumb question but what is HDR and how do I enable it? I have seen performace boosts in the FarCry benchmark with SLI but it does not translate into real game performance. Always a performance hit. I only play multiplayer so if all multiplayer is CPU limited then I made the wrong choice going with SLI. jakUp, I pre ordered the board from Monarch Computer and they ran out in a day. I was one of the lucky ones who got thiers. They should be getting more in stock soon. Check them out. Also has anyone had problems running SLI with a 75hz or above refresh rate? I get flickering distorted graphics when I go above 60hz with any drivers. Thanks for the info!

saturnotaku
02-26-05, 11:04 PM
Forgive the dumb question but what is HDR and how do I enable it?

Do a search in the games forum. Everything you need to know is there.

I have seen performace boosts in the FarCry benchmark with SLI but it does not translate into real game performance. Always a performance hit.

I've been doing my SLI benchmarking with Fraps instead of any built-in or downloaded timedemos. I am seeing improvements in nearly all aspects of play (been testing 1024x768, 1280x1024 and 1600x1200 with and without AA and AF). Further driver revisions should help even more. Same goes for Doom 3 and Half-Life 2. I'm very surprised (and pleased) with the performance gains there.

UT2004, however, is the same story. Performance drops across all resolutions and AA/AF combinations. Adding AA and AF makes the hit even worse, completely unplayable in some situations that were fine with a single GPU. I wouldn't have as big a problem with this if there was a way to force single GPU rendering without having to reboot my system. Hopefully NVIDIA can work on this and implement some kind of workaround in a future driver release.

Also has anyone had problems running SLI with a 75hz or above refresh rate? I get flickering distorted graphics when I go above 60hz with any drivers. Thanks for the info!

No problems at all here. Currently using the 71.81 drivers.

ChrisRay
02-27-05, 12:13 AM
UT2004, however, is the same story. Performance drops across all resolutions and AA/AF combinations. Adding AA and AF makes the hit even worse, completely unplayable in some situations that were fine with a single GPU. I wouldn't have as big a problem with this if there was a way to force single GPU rendering without having to reboot my system. Hopefully NVIDIA can work on this and implement some kind of workaround in a future driver release.

<PROFILE Label="Unreal Tournament 2004">
<APPLICATION Label="UT2004.exe"/>
<PROPERTY Label="multichip_rendering_mode" Value="400001" Itemtype="predefined"/>
</PROFILE>

Find this profile in your nvapps folder and switch it to the one below. This will force single GPU rendering in this game. If thats what you desire. The only time I get a performance boost from SLI in this game is 4xAA/16xAF @ 1600x1200 resolution. Anyway. Just keep note of the SLI profile it has incase you ever want to switch it back.

<PROFILE Label="Unreal Tournament 2004">
<APPLICATION Label="UT2004.exe"/>
<PROPERTY Label="multichip_rendering_mode" Value="4" Itemtype="predefined"/>
</PROFILE>

saturnotaku
02-27-05, 07:24 AM
CR, I could have sworn you said that even if you tried to force single GPU that it would still default to SLI anyway. Unless I completely misunderstood. :confused:

ChrisRay
02-27-05, 07:26 AM
CR, I could have sworn you said that even if you tried to force single GPU that it would still default to SLI anyway. Unless I completely misunderstood. :confused:

No I said if you force single GPU rendering the profile will over ride your settings :) But if you remove the profile or change the profile to single GPU rendering it will work. The profile will always over ride your global driver settings. I guess it is kinda confusing and I probably worded it wrong. After setting the profile manually you will want to reboot because it doesnt automatically save to registry automatically. But once you've done this you shouldnt have to reboot again.

saturnotaku
02-27-05, 07:36 AM
No I said if you force single GPU rendering the profile will over ride your settings :) But if you remove the profile or change the profile to single GPU rendering it will work. The profile will always over ride your global driver settings. I guess it is kinda confusing and I probably worded it wrong. After setting the profile manually you will want to reboot because it doesnt automatically save to registry automatically. But once you've done this you shouldnt have to reboot again.

OK, that makes sense now. Thanks for the info and for clarifying. I'll be sure and change it then. :)

john19055
02-27-05, 10:05 PM
I just don't see the SLI as a good upgrade option if you have a 6800GT or a ultra or a X800 pro or XTPE,The cost is way to high for the cards and a new motherboard plus a new power supply in most cases and the power requirements is to much plus there are so many games that do not benifit from it.IMO you would be better off waiting for the next generation of cards to come out.

MUYA
02-27-05, 10:11 PM
We are not discussing personaly opinions of SLI here. That has done to death already. This is about the CPU limitations (and effects) pertaining to SLI. keep it that way folks.

jAkUp
02-27-05, 10:41 PM
Agreed, we've been down this road before, lets keep it to the original posters question.

retsam
02-27-05, 10:54 PM
i read somewere that there was a new rendering mode for sli (afr2) or something ... i cant find the thread but how did you guys make out with that ...has it dont anything for fps ...

ChrisRay
02-27-05, 11:28 PM
i read somewere that there was a new rendering mode for sli (afr2) or something ... i cant find the thread but how did you guys make out with that ...has it dont anything for fps ...

71.84 + drivers seem to have it. 71.84 has it officially.

retsam
02-27-05, 11:32 PM
71.84 + drivers seem to have it. 71.84 has it officially.

but does it do anything .... and if so what?

ChrisRay
02-27-05, 11:33 PM
but does it do anything .... and if so what?

It looks to be Nvidias first aproach to tackling issues that use Render to Texture. It does seem to make a difference in NFSU2 which uses RTT.

retsam
02-27-05, 11:46 PM
It looks to be Nvidias first aproach to tackling issues that use Render to Texture. It does seem to make a difference in NFSU2 which uses RTT.
ohh now i see said the blind man ....