PDA

View Full Version : SLI Users- A Power Supply for you

wheeljack12
02-26-05, 06:36 PM
For those having the troubles of setting up a SLI system and figured out you don't have enough molex or sata power plugs because you just used 4 molex (4pin) plugs for a PCI express to Molex adapter, here is a power supply for your needs. FYI, I am switching from what is in my sig to this for this very reason. I currently have 8 molex plugs, a 24 pin atx, 4 pin atx, a couple of floppy plugs, and a 8 pin for what looks a like a server board. on the 700 watt.

The thermaltake 680 watt I am about to get has:

10 molex plugs
2 pci express 6 pin plugs
1 24 pin atx power plug
4 sata power plugs
2 floppy power plugs
1 4 pin power plug

Anyhow here is the link for anyone looking for extra plugs for the demanding (plugs more than power here in this case) SLI system.

http://www.thermaltake.com/purepower/w049atx12v/w0049atx12v.htm

SweetLou
02-26-05, 06:51 PM
pfft thats nuthing :P

http://www.frozencpu.com/psu-153.html

$n][pErMan
02-26-05, 06:54 PM

Gawd damn!!!!!! :eek:

LBJM
02-26-05, 07:01 PM
I like mine.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-438&depa=1

you can email enermax's support for the 8pin to 6pon pci-e adapter and just use two molex connector adapter for the second one.

all though the first power supply is the cheapest

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?DEPA=0&description=17-153-021&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch&ATT=Power+Supply+for+Cas

wheeljack12
02-26-05, 08:33 PM
wow, now that is a power supply!

SH64
02-26-05, 08:41 PM
Looks great ! :cool:
i have a Purepower 560W , but would that be sufficent for 2x6800Us ?? .. also mine has no PCI-E 6 pin plug so its going to need an adaptor even if it was good

flurry
02-27-05, 12:21 PM
I bought a tt purepower 680 for my sli system based on the specs and the dual pcie connectors and all those other connectors. The unit has a beautiful finish and nice sleeving on all leads. Problem is: It chokes on my dual ultras, fx 55, 3 hd, 2 optical, water cooling, dual cathode. NV says the combination of the 3 rails can be added up to meet the spec on amps needed on the 12 volt rail. My system proves that false in this case. I am now running an Antec true Control 550 with no problems at all except the spare molex connectors. I will get one of
those PC power and Cooling units though. That is a good looking one indeed.

jAkUp
02-27-05, 01:08 PM

Nice! Wish it did not have the 4 split rails though.

grimreefer
02-27-05, 01:42 PM
beware: early revisions of the thermaltake 680w have incorrectly designed pci express power molexes

Mr_LoL
02-27-05, 02:04 PM

You could by a gt and have change over for that price :eek:

SweetLou
02-27-05, 04:56 PM
To tell you guys straight up my Ultra X-Connect 500W is more than enough to keep my SLI system stable. I have had not a single problem with it at all. People have told me that I should not be able to use it but it works great. I even got two separate PCI-E X-Connect cables for my two GT's. More than enough power supply for my system. I am running a ton of different things in the too and no instability.

Marcos
02-27-05, 05:30 PM
who saoid xconnect is no good

SweetLou
02-27-05, 07:10 PM
who saoid xconnect is no good
I've heard alot of people say that it is no name and that it is not suitable for a high end machine.

noko
02-27-05, 07:50 PM
That is good news about the 550w Antec TrueControl working with a SLI setup. Maybe save me some money when I upgrade down the road, just need to get all those fancy connectors/adapters I guess.

saturnotaku
02-27-05, 07:54 PM
I've heard alot of people say that it is no name and that it is not suitable for a high end machine.

Maximum PC tested it against the Antec Neo 480, PC Power and Cooling 510 Deluxe and a few others. The X-Connect came in near the back of the pack. It failed several of their tests. I wouldn't trust one in my rig. It was ironic in a way because on the back cover of the mag was a full-page ad for that exact same PSU. It was nice to see them not pull any punches to appease an advertiser.

bknblk
02-27-05, 07:59 PM
Maximum PC tested it against the Antec Neo 480, PC Power and Cooling 510 Deluxe and a few others. The X-Connect came in near the back of the pack. It failed several of their tests. I wouldn't trust one in my rig. It was ironic in a way because on the back cover of the mag was a full-page ad for that exact same PSU. It was nice to see them not pull any punches to appease an advertiser.

Just wheen you thought journalistic integrity was dead, eh Ed?

saturnotaku
02-27-05, 08:11 PM
Just wheen you thought journalistic integrity was dead, eh Ed?

It's kind of funny because in the job I was laid off from last year, I had to be a corporate wh0re. It was all right because I got to drive cool cars every week. :lol:

But now that I'm back on the 'real' end of journalism, it's nice every now and again to go at something hard-hitting. I actually have a project in the works about some pending state legislation that my local municipalities and school districts probably aren't going to like. Should be interesting to investigate it.

Back on topic, I was most pleased to read that PSU roundup in Max PC. It's stuff like that which will keep me as a reader.

jAkUp
02-27-05, 10:43 PM

HAHA I remember that too, the ad on the back, with the poor scores in the review... Wonder if they will advertise anymore in Maximum PC :D

Yea, I've been reading MaximumPC since the "Boot" days, one of their original editors is coming back, and really, MaximumPC stands above all magazines I have read. They are a tad inaccurate at times, but 95% they are great. Currently I am subscribed to MaximumPC, PCGamer, and PC Format.

Cruel_Logic
02-28-05, 01:47 AM
No probs on thermaltake 680w here, in fact it never crashes at all.
A very good buy for the money I'd say.

SweetLou
02-28-05, 08:34 AM
I have an Enermax 550W 650W Max powesupply that I stopped using because the X-Connect was so good. That Enermax 550W cost me like $180 when I first bought it. I have no clue why people said that the X-Connect was bad. It has been completely solid for me and I get solid voltages and amps on all the rails. Who knows maybe mine is a lemon and is actually a quality product.

JoKeRr
02-28-05, 01:20 PM
that's some serioius power there. Holy crap.