PDA

View Full Version : NV 5 Silencer Warning

dvanderb
02-26-05, 07:54 PM
So I have had my NV 5 Silencer on a PNY 6800GT since approximately October. Installation went fine and everything seemed ok... until the other night. I was just using some windows programs like MIRC and Pokerstars when windows would start to kind of jumble. Not sure how to explain this.. all of the right colors were there.. just not necessarily in the right place. So I figured maybe my card was overheating.. temperature was OK. But I tried to clock everything back to stock anyway and it would not even approve of those speeds. So I shut down and took the card out to find the following:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dvanderb@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=5344&.dnm=9baa.jpg&.src=ph

More pictures:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dvanderb@sbcglobal.net/album?.dir=5344&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dvanderb@sbcglobal.net/my_photos

I'd also like to note that my computer has been in the same location since I installed it.. so that rubber piece just decided to give up over time. Anyways it turned out that the silencer was no longer making contact with 2 ram chips. I replaced the silencer with the OEM cooler and all was fine. This is just a warning to be careful because even though everything is ok for months.. does not mean everything will stay OK.

LBJM
02-26-05, 08:04 PM
damn the sucks I've been thinking of getting two nv 5's. update this thread in about a week to tell us the card is still running good.

archevilangel
02-27-05, 12:04 PM
that happened to me too, I ended up drilling out the old backplate and using that :rolleyes:

|MaguS|
02-27-05, 01:06 PM
Been using my NV5 for acouple months now... no issues at all, just a bitch to clean the thing...

hypertek
02-27-05, 03:35 PM
maybe your problem was over tightening and crushing some vital components?

dvanderb
02-27-05, 05:32 PM
I'd think that a problem due to overtightening would have manifested itself earlier(like.. back in October :P)..

And to the person who said they used the original backplate.. did you just drill out the holes and use that as a spacer then? And how much did you have to drill them out?

I'd like to keep using my NV 5.. but i just dont trust those rubber things..

Gentle
02-27-05, 06:15 PM
Have you informed the manufacturer of the cooler that you have defective "rubber things"?

Gentle

Electronic Punk
02-28-05, 09:33 AM
NO problem with the rubber things here.
Tho to be honest, I am sure some tight springs with a rubber seal on the end would be just as effective?

Morn
03-01-05, 11:32 PM
I don't use the rubber things fortunately. I use the plastic back plate that came with the stock cooler instead. I figured it'd give better support for the weight of the copper cooler.

GuyClinch
03-02-05, 12:26 AM
I had an NV Silencer. I didn't like how it sat on the GPU so I switched to a Zalman V700 alcu. I really like it. It was very easy to installl and seems like a high quality piece of engineering. I might get the all copper one if I had to do it over but since I am not into overclocking the combo one works okay.

Pete