PDA

View Full Version : Mac mini held up in customs, so I tried....

Pages : [1] 2

oldsk00l
02-27-05, 02:18 PM
So my Mac Mini that I ordered is a 1.42GHz/512MB/80GB/combo drive model. There's just one ultra huge problem, according to my fedex tracking the shipping source is Shenzen China, and it's held up in Chinese customs :mad:

However, my mouse/keyboard arrived a looong time ago. For kicks I tried plugging them both in.

I have got to say man, the Apple keyboard has the smoothest action of a keyboard I've used. This puts some of the best laptop keyboards to shame in both noise and feel. Plus it has two USB ports that apparently work just fine. The command key doubles as the windows key, alt, and ctrl. The only thing is that it doesn't have a menu button. The mouse is quite comfortable. The ergonomics of it are also built around precision clicking/dragging and dropping. Perfect for a graphics designer....HORRIBLE for gaming. In my use the mouse seems to rely on the use of the index and pinky fingers for the precision, and it works GREAT!!!

</weirdness post>

saturnotaku
02-27-05, 07:59 PM
I have to use a Mac mouse/keyboard every day at work, and I absolutely hate it. I'm half-tempted to bring my old MS Intellimouse Optical and use that instead.

$n][pErMan
02-27-05, 08:28 PM
^^ Exactly... what kind of hellish trick is it to give a mouse 1 button!?!?!?! Nothing against macs.... but 1 button .. wtf?!?!

oldsk00l
02-27-05, 08:35 PM
btw, pics

I posted em on my website, but hell, here they are

http://www.majeonline.com/mackbpc/images/pdrm0299.jpg

http://www.majeonline.com/mackbpc/images/pdrm0301.jpg

http://www.majeonline.com/mackbpc/images/pdrm0302.jpg

Of course, the system shown is my old workhorse, and this is my upstairs office, I wouldn't dare touch the work area I'm converting to a G5 workstation when it arrives.

saturnotaku
02-27-05, 08:39 PM
Nice mouse pad. :p :D

oldsk00l
02-27-05, 08:51 PM
Nice mouse pad. :p :D
tigger sechs, you know it turns you on.....

GlowStick
02-27-05, 09:04 PM
ahhhh, did you order your G5??? or just gonna use the mini for now?

oldsk00l
02-27-05, 09:06 PM
ahhhh, did you order your G5??? or just gonna use the mini for now?

Both, the only PC stuff I'm going to keep around for is to have it as a server cluster type thing, I'm going to give my lesser machine away. The mini will belong upstairs, the G5 will be my main system.

GlowStick
02-27-05, 09:43 PM
Both, the only PC stuff I'm going to keep around for is to have it as a server cluster type thing, I'm going to give my lesser machine away. The mini will belong upstairs, the G5 will be my main system.
Bastid: come back to the dark side, er light side, whatever : (

Riptide
02-27-05, 10:53 PM
Yeah I wonder if he's even going to bother with NVNews any more now that he's going to Apple. :)

1337_Like_ThaT
02-27-05, 11:28 PM
You better hope that it does not get jacked in customs :( I've delt with many international shipments, and I have encountered major problem with various packages going through customs, in that getting stolen while in customs....Cross your fingers

oldsk00l
02-28-05, 10:16 AM
Yeah I wonder if he's even going to bother with NVNews any more now that he's going to Apple. :)
xbox owner, then PS3 owner, plenty of comaraderie to be had :D

Riptide
02-28-05, 10:47 AM
Hey man you should setup a folding client and join the team - especially if you're going with dual G5's. :D

saturnotaku
02-28-05, 11:29 AM
Can you get the mini with an Airport wireless card?

GlowStick
02-28-05, 02:06 PM
Yes i belive so

oldsk00l
02-28-05, 08:57 PM
You can also add one yourself.
There's several people who have added in a superdrive later too.

oldsk00l
03-02-05, 05:21 PM
AHHH it has finally left Anchorage, I get the DAMNED thing Monday, w00t!!!

six_storm
03-02-05, 05:23 PM
What are the specs on your Mac Mini? I'm thinking of buying one since this will be my first Mac product ever.

GlowStick
03-02-05, 05:55 PM
AHHH it has finally left Anchorage, I get the DAMNED thing Monday, w00t!!!
Thats what you think, Fedex is manhandleing it as we speak :eek:

oldsk00l
03-03-05, 12:57 AM
Six Storm, I ordered the 1.42GHz/512MB RAM/combo drive.

I'm highly interested in testing out HD performance, quite frankly I've got some trepidation about that. However I may replace it with a 7200rpm seagate 60GB drive if it's too horrible.

six_storm
03-03-05, 10:08 AM
Six Storm, I ordered the 1.42GHz/512MB RAM/combo drive.

I'm highly interested in testing out HD performance, quite frankly I've got some trepidation about that. However I may replace it with a 7200rpm seagate 60GB drive if it's too horrible.

I've been doing my research on Apple PCs, especially the Mac Mini. You got what I'll probably get. I've found out that the Mac Mini isn't going to do too great performance wise unless you upgrade the processor and RAM for sure. I'm going Saturday to my "local" (45 Minutes away) CompUSA to check the Apple stuff out.

BTW, have you seen what Kevin Rose has done with his Mac Mini? Check it out:

TSS Mac Mini Mod (http://www.g4techtv.com/mediaplayer/index.aspx?video_key=9015)

oldsk00l
03-03-05, 10:14 AM
hahaha

Yeah, I saw that. Wild stuff man. I remember a while back some guy took a G5 system, stripped out all the Apple hardware, and put in a mini-atx PC rig inside of it. He totally pissed off the mac community in doing it too.

six_storm
03-03-05, 10:32 AM
Really? Haha. I just want to get into the Mac World a little bit. I'm tired of Windows crashing all the time. May I mention the trouble I've had with just 2 OSs and 2 hard drives this year alone? I've had to reformat my PC 3 times this year already! Geez. So, once I have a Mac Mini or iBook (not decided yet), I'll use it for Internet and office applications while using my current rig for just games. Sounds like a good plan I guess. Let us know how you like your Mac Mini on Monday man, I want to know what you think about it.

Riptide
03-03-05, 10:50 AM
I've had pretty good luck with this last build. It's been on there since September and I've had almost 0 problems. Installed a lot of programs on there to.

Usually when I have to rebuild any more it's because of a hardware change which seems to happen about every six months. LOL, I can't just be happy. :D

six_storm
03-03-05, 11:44 AM
I'm actually waiting on the release of the MAC OS X "Tiger". It's supposed to release in the first half of 05 and it has some really neat features to it compared to "Panther".