PDA

View Full Version : Vanilla Doom 3 has a gravity gun

Pages : [1] 2

pat777
02-27-05, 05:36 PM
Tim Willits: Not at all. In fact, you could access our gravity gun in Doom 3 by pulling down the console and entering a code which would then let you manipulate the physics with the cursor keys, but it wasn't something we wanted to focus on until now. And we're using it in more of a combat sense. For instance, you'll have to use it against the very first Hunter you come up against to send his fireballs back at him.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=114069
:)

superklye
02-27-05, 05:41 PM
jawesome. anyone try it out yet?

SH64
02-27-05, 05:49 PM
That page need reg to access it .
any idea whats that command ??

BTW that makes a possiblity of id not stealing the gravity gun idea from Valve if its indeed in the game before the announcment of the gravity gun weapon in HL2 .

Marcos
02-27-05, 06:20 PM
bio force gun nubianz

Seoulstriker
02-27-05, 06:33 PM
Valve ripped the shotgun from Quake and Valve ripped the pistol from Doom. Puhleeeeeze. Physics manipulation has been in games forever. Any game that has teh ability to pick objects up is physical manipulation (ie every game almost ever). So they use a gun to pick up objects. Whoopdy-f***ing-hoo.

gordon151
02-27-05, 10:40 PM
RoE will feature a lot of new enemies. One group, whom are codenamed the "Combine", will play a big role in the development of the game.

jAkUp
02-27-05, 10:47 PM
RoE will feature a lot of new enemies. One group, whom are codenamed the "Combine", will play a big role in the development of the game.

hahaha

superklye
02-27-05, 11:16 PM
Valve ripped the shotgun from Quake and Valve ripped the pistol from Doom. Puhleeeeeze. Physics manipulation has been in games forever. Any game that has teh ability to pick objects up is physical manipulation (ie every game almost ever). So they use a gun to pick up objects. Whoopdy-f***ing-hoo.
umm...the shotgun and pistol were around a hell of a lot longer than Doom.

Vagrant Zero
02-27-05, 11:52 PM
Id created the genre, everyone and their grandmother has ripped from id, so as far as I'm concered all's fair.

superklye
02-27-05, 11:57 PM
Id created the genre, everyone and their grandmother has ripped from id, so as far as I'm concered all's fair.
Aren't you forgetting about a little game, the grittiest and most hardcore game simulating life on the toughest streets of Amerca, named Pong?

Zelda_fan
02-28-05, 12:10 AM
Aren't you forgetting about a little game, the grittiest and most hardcore game simulating life on the toughest streets of Amerca, named Pong?

well he's got a point. Pong wasn't 3D rendered, and Doom was the first game you could use a pistol & shotgun and kill stuff in realtime 3D. If anyone has a right to rip the gravitygun from valve, it is ID.

Slyder
02-28-05, 12:41 AM
In fact, you could access our gravity gun in Doom 3 by pulling down the console and entering a code which would then let you manipulate the physics with the cursor keys, but it wasn't something we wanted to focus on until now

This is only because while you may have opted not to put this originally in Doom 3, you have read reviews saying how cool the grav gun was in HL2 and now want to quickly jump on the bandwagon. If you didnt mess around cutting stuff here and there, you would of have an original gun. :rolleyes:

Rakeesh
02-28-05, 01:34 AM
I just hope the physics in the doom 3 expansion don't turn out as goofy as the physics in the source engine.

superklye
02-28-05, 02:46 AM
I just hope the physics in the doom 3 expansion don't turn out as goofy as the physics in the source engine.
I think you meant, "I hope the physics in the doom 3 expansion turn out 1/2585th as cool as the physics in the source engine."

It's okay though, we all make mistakes.

Intel17
02-28-05, 05:53 AM
Doom 3's physics engine has stuff computed per-polygon, rather than with hitboxes (I think someone mentioned this in another thread), so the engine in D3 is probably superior to Havok.

Oh, and Id invented the FPS genre, so I don't think anyone should be bitching about how Id is taking a good idea from another game.

Gentle
02-28-05, 09:34 AM
There were first person based shooting games before iD software came around.

I remember, I've been a computer gamer since 1983.

However, iD was able to capitalize on the shareware concept and make it mainstream.

Gentle

ragejg
02-28-05, 10:30 AM
:thumbsup:

Right on, Gentle...

i got into pc gaming just as shareware was hittin it big, just in time for Wolf3d, and Commander Keen: Goodbye Galaxy. :)

Heh, per pixel collision detection, it sounds so old now, I remember a Sweeney interview summer 2k1 re: Unreal 2 speaking of that feature...

Maybe in 2 yrs we'll have PC's able to handle engines with per-poly hit detection AND Havok style physics.... :)

Rakeesh
02-28-05, 11:55 AM
I think you meant, "I hope the physics in the doom 3 expansion turn out 1/2585th as cool as the physics in the source engine."

It's okay though, we all make mistakes.

I meant what I said. There are all kinds of screwups in the HL2 physics engine. For example, go to the start of the ravenholm chapter, pick up the yellow ravenholm sign, and throw it horizontally at the half corpse that is hanging from the tree at close range. The half corpse will behave as if it is made of anti-matter existing in a world of matter. Along the way, the rope doesn't even tangle around the tree.

Or for another example, sometimes if you stand on an object when it happens to get thrown 3 feet, you get launched about 800 feet. People have been taking advantage of this exploit in multiplayer since HL2 came out, and for the life of them, valve can't fix it.

And a bit more rarely, one time I picked up a radiator with the grav gun, walked into an angled wall, and it bumped the radiator in such a way that it crushed me to death even though I was still holding it.

Also, you gotta love how in all source engine based games, you can aim at the air above a person and get a headshot.

superklye
02-28-05, 12:48 PM
Also, you gotta love how in all source engine based games, you can aim at the air above a person and get a headshot.
Yeah, but that's real physics to an extent. A crossbow doesn't fly level for more than a few yards because of gravity...the farther you shoot, the higher you have to aim to get the bolt to go where it's supposed to go.

EDIT: and I was just kidding the previous post. :)

Mr. Hunt
02-28-05, 01:21 PM
Yes... but a bullet doesn't fall that fast... I wish Valve would have gone with per-pixel detection instead of hitboxes...

Intel17
03-01-05, 07:34 AM
Yes... but a bullet doesn't fall that fast... I wish Valve would have gone with per-pixel detection instead of hitboxes...

Obviously they couldn't get it to run reasonably. However, Havok physics are really good, and it's absolutely a blast in HL2.

My point is, Id hires the best, most talented guys and they make the best engines, typically not fully exploited in the first game released on it.

By the way, I thought D3 was a worse game than HL2.

jbirney
03-01-05, 11:00 AM
OT Post:

Doom 3's physics engine has stuff computed per-polygon, rather than with hitboxes (I think someone mentioned this in another thread), so the engine in D3 is probably superior to Havok.

UT2k3 engine (and beyond) also supports per-polygon collision. I tried it once as I was looking for a better way to do hit detection with a melee weapon then we do now. It worked but my FPS (on back then a very fast PC) went to single digits with just me in an empty map hitting a wall. Goodness knows what it would have been like with a few people all hacking away at each other :) Of course I was doing it all in uscript that runs 1/1000 slower than native code whcih is where you would want to do stuff like that.... anyways back on topic...

zoomy942
03-01-05, 12:55 PM
whats the command? i'll try it tonight

Rakeesh
03-01-05, 10:44 PM
Yeah, but that's real physics to an extent. A crossbow doesn't fly level for more than a few yards because of gravity...the farther you shoot, the higher you have to aim to get the bolt to go where it's supposed to go.

I would agree, except the crossbow does have that slight arch to it. I should know, it is my favorite DM weapon after all :D What I find funny though, is I can fire at somebody, and in spite of the arch, you actually see the blood splatter over the air, not on their body where it should be. And best of all, when they are hanging by the bolt from the wall, the bolt is actually about 2 feet above their head :D

Another note wrt HL2 physics, I found a little exploit in DM the other day. If you put an object that is large and has a lot of open space in it (such as one of those blue shelves) on a spawn point, when somebody spawns in on it they get stuck. If you do it just right, they wont be able to use the grav gun to un-stick themselves either, and they just have to either suicide or wait until somebody else comes around to kill them.

nutcrackr
03-01-05, 10:51 PM
A well implemented physics tool will be cool in any game if done properly, I don't care who did it first.