PDA

View Full Version : HalfLife 2 Demo problems

doenau
02-28-05, 03:52 AM
Admittedly this is only about the demo... but...

i got the demo from a mag cd and installed it... as one would expect it then proceeded to update steam, no probs... it then updated HL2 demo for a bit and i started playing...

the next day when i went to start playing, the demo decided that it needed to do some updating... on dial up it is going to take me 813 minutes and then some.

so... all ai want to do is play the damn demo.... why is this impossible? shouldn't the demo all be contained in the install file?

after uninstalling and removing any registry entries i can find, i reinstalled it and tried jsut updating steam and then playing in offline mode... no can do.

any suggestions? (apart from just going out and buying the game... especially if i'm going to need a month on dial up to update it)

thanks

DJMONDY
02-28-05, 05:42 AM
The only thing i can suggest is while in offline mode to right click on hl2 in the steam list and untick keep this game updated (i think thats what it says).

This would also work if you buy the game and you would not have to wait for updates you should just be able to play straight away.

Hope this helps

Slyder
02-28-05, 12:34 PM
OMG...

Valve has stooped to a new low, not even letting people play a damm demo. :rolleyes:

doenau
02-28-05, 06:13 PM
The only thing i can suggest is while in offline mode to right click on hl2 in the steam list and untick keep this game updated (i think thats what it says).

This would also work if you buy the game and you would not have to wait for updates you should just be able to play straight away.

Hope this helps

I have done this (it was already selected) but doesn't make a bit of difference...

BioHazZarD
03-02-05, 02:34 PM
Even if you get the demo from a magazine you still need to connect to Steam to blabla update and blabla wait xxxx hours before even try it.. Nice work valve lol.

doenau
03-02-05, 07:29 PM
Even if you get the demo from a magazine you still need to connect to Steam to blabla update and blabla wait xxxx hours before even try it.. Nice work valve lol.

Thanks for the really useless comments... do u have nothing better to do with your day?