PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove AS5 from core

c3ham
02-28-05, 06:15 AM
hi i was wondering what is the best and safest way to remove AS5 from 6800GT core.

thanks

MUYA
02-28-05, 06:36 AM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46536

c3ham
02-28-05, 06:53 AM
thanks mate but i cant find that stuff anywhere in the UK

MUYA
02-28-05, 06:56 AM
i found em in Hong Kong ...u should be able to in the UK!!! :)

Clay
02-28-05, 08:23 AM
hi i was wondering what is the best and safest way to remove AS5 from 6800GT core.

thanks
Acetone (finger nail polish remover) works well, it's a bit stronger than isopropyl alcohol. You can read more on this at Arctic Silver's website:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm
ONLY Arctic Silver thermal compound should be between the processor core and the heatsink. Remove any thermal pads or other interface material from the heatsink before applying the Arctic Silver. Thermal pads can be scraped off with a plastic tool that will not scratch the bottom then the remnants can be removed with ArctiClean 1Thermal Material Remover and ArctiClean 2 Thermal Surface Purifier. If you do not have ArctiClean, use a xylene based cleaner, (Goof Off and some carburetor cleaners) acetone, mineral spirits, or high-purity isopropyl alcohol.

Never use any oil or petroleum based cleaners (WD-40, oil based grease removers and many automotive degreasers) on the base of a heatsink. If you use a citrus based cleaner, you must use ArctiClean 2 Thermal Surface Purifier to remove the citrus oil before applying new thermal material, Any oil remaining on the heatsink will fill in the microscopic valleys in the metal and significantly reduce the effectiveness of any subsequently applied thermal compound.

SweetLou
02-28-05, 08:30 AM
Alcohol and a few Q-Tip's gets the job done for me and it does it well. Just need like one or two to clean it off and one dry one to remove any excess alcohol. Done.

saturnotaku
02-28-05, 10:08 AM
Isopropyl alcohol is what I've always used. My bottle of 91% has served me well through several thermal compound removals of various CPUs and GPUs of myself and my friends. Got mine for $0.78 at Wal-Mart. :D

JoKeRr
02-28-05, 01:12 PM
rubbing achohol

Clay
02-28-05, 02:19 PM
For those of you that haven't used acetone, you might want to try it. It really penetrates/dissolves the thermal compounds better than alcohol...especially Ceramique, acetone works much better in cleaning that gunk up. :)