PDA

View Full Version : Gainward 6800GT - Problem please help.

ANiMOSiTY
02-28-05, 09:02 AM
Hi guys.

New to the forum, sorry to ask a question without contributing anything first..

I have a GeForce 6800 GT (NOT GoldenSample) and recently its been giving me trouble.

While playing any DX game, the screen goes all garbled and the computer crashes then restarts. When it reboots, the display is still garbled. If i turn the machine off the card beeps but then sometimes continues to let the PC post.

400w PSU.
AMD AthlonXP 3000+
1024MB RAM
MSI K7N2 Delta board.

Checked heat, 52 degrees @ idle.

Thanks in advance.

saturnotaku
02-28-05, 09:22 AM
400w PSU.

I think there's your problem right there. What brand/model is this? What is its amperage rating on the +12v line (information should be listed on the unit itself).

Knot3D
02-28-05, 09:24 AM
Sorry to hear that,

I have the golden sample GT btw. Hm, sounds like one of these three problems ;

- problem due to driver ; which Forceware are you using ? 67.66 is great on my GT

- overheating in DX9 games ; check and recheck temps please. The 71.xx drivers are said to raise temps by 10c.

- too much OC ; I have mine at either default 350/1000 or 400/1100. I didn't go higher yet. Maybe you PSU couldn't cope any higher clocks anymore. Check the PSU if it has at least 18amperes on the 12V output line.

Otherwise RMA if you think the gpu core is borked. Hope it's still within warranty.

ViN86
02-28-05, 10:02 AM
you said the card itself beeps? or do you mean the pc speaker? (which usually indicates bad cmos/cpu/memory settings) there is a buzzer on the card that warns you when it is overheating. that sounds like it could be the problem.

$n][pErMan
02-28-05, 11:47 AM
What clock settings do you have it on... and yes ... check the AMP raiting on your +12v rail. I had 18A on my old 400w and it worked fine (even though it was under a lot of stress). My card is also the Golden Sample version running at ultra speeds so in theory yours should be using less power (assuming you did not OC it yet).

ANiMOSiTY
03-01-05, 02:53 AM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies!!

The card itself beeps.
I checked the thermal conductivity between the heatsink and the GPU. Cleaned and applied some paste. Seems to be running a little cooler now.

Forceware 66.92 but i'll double check tonight.
PSU Is a CWT (Channel Well Technology) 400W.
I'll check the rating of the +12v line tonight too.

Its not running OC at the moment. I tried to OC it 2 months or so ago and the same thing happened. Screen scrambles and card beeps.

So its running on factory clock speeds. I double checked.

|MaguS|
03-01-05, 03:44 AM
I bet its your low PSU, I had a 420 and would reboot all the time.

AgentHeX_0007
03-01-05, 10:02 PM
I built new pc last summer (see sig) with a BFG 6800GTOC, the week that they hit the uk market. Everything has worked perfectly up until this month...

This past month i have been getting the very same problems, garbled screen, random re-boots, black screens, monitor going into stanbdby and then the pc re-boots, garbled screen on re-boot, garbled screen after xp boot logo, re-boots when starting games etc.

I have spent hours and hours trying to fix this. I tried everything, changing motherboard bioses and bios settings, different drivers, re-installs of directx and xp, underclocking the whole system. removing sticks of ram, going into single channel mode etc etc etc and more, all in various different combos...

After all of my hair pulling it turns out that the problem is what can only be described as some kind of manufacturing miss-match in the connections of my agp slot on my motherboard and the BFG 6800GT OC card. Simply pulling the card out of the agp slot 1 or 2 millimeters has fixed the problem completly!!!

Im not sure if its the agp slot or the card that is at fault but this worked for me. :)

ANiMOSiTY
03-02-05, 05:51 AM
AgentHeX_0007, its funny you should say that, bcos since I've put my card back in my pc (after checking the heatsink), i didn't screw it in tightly and it seems fine now... Could be that.

Thanks guys - I'm gonna buy a new PSU anyway. Its taking some strain and has been repaired once before... And i'll need one for my new board and Athlon64 soon...

THANKS!!!

$n][pErMan
03-02-05, 09:07 AM
Thanks guys - I'm gonna buy a new PSU anyway. Its taking some strain and has been repaired once before... And i'll need one for my new board and Athlon64 soon... Id get one with around a 34A raiting on the 12v rail so your safe :)

Dark-Colonel
03-02-05, 02:18 PM
Just a heads up for Gainward lovers...R.I.P gainward

http://www.gainward.co.uk/

bkswaney
03-02-05, 02:43 PM
Just a heads up for Gainward lovers...R.I.P gainward

http://www.gainward.co.uk/

Yep... It seems gainward is no more.

$n][pErMan
03-02-05, 04:13 PM
Nooooooooooo... all the more reason to keep my video card in top notch shape as its the last of a legend! :D If I can get ahold of some more... I should and then sell them on ebay in a month or two when its immpossible to get more. So glad I got mine when I did :p RIP Gainward... you owned all!

psychogmv
03-03-05, 08:47 PM
Im having the exact same problem on my XFX GeForce 6800GT. I have a A64 3000+ S754 with a Chaintech VNF3-250 and a Thermaltake PurePower 420W with PFC (18A on the 12V line). Everything was fine until I removed the card to clean the dust in it. After I plugged it back, it started showing garbaged letters on the initial screen with several green and distorted dots. If I turn off the system for some minutes, everything goes fine, and when on windows, the screen starts to garbage again. The funny thing is that I tested the card on another system, and it worked fine. And this ohter system has a weaker generic PSU. Im starting to think that this is a problem with the AGP connector on this motherboard. I tried everything, like booting with only the 6800GT powered, but nothing. Tomorrow I will install a new MB and processor (K8T Neo2+A64 3000+ S939) that I bought in this same system with the same PSU and see what happens. Depending on the results, Ill send this VNF3 to RMA.

Slammin
03-03-05, 08:55 PM
Heat problem.

Burnt_Ram
03-04-05, 11:22 AM
i had a Gainward 6800 GT with a overclocked AMD Mobile 2500+ @ 2.5 ghz, and a Enermax 350 watt with a 26a amp 12v rail and it wouldn't run worth beans ! reboots and crap like that. i upgraded to a Antec 480 watt 30 amp 12v rail and it runs flawless after that.