PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy an Xbox?

Pages : [1] 2

saturnotaku
12-01-02, 09:51 PM
I always like to buy some trick new hardware for my PC around the holiday time. But after looking and debating, there's really nothing in the PC arena that I really want. I'm quite satisfied with my current PC's gaming performance. My system, though certainly not the fastest, is rock solid stable and is able to play all my games without trouble.

As such, I've turned my attention to the console arena. As you may or may not know, I've never owned a console in my life. Not an NES, Playstation or anything. :eek:

I'm seriously considering an Xbox. I was a huge fan of the original Shenmue for the Dreamcast and would most definitely be buying the second installment, along with probably DOA3 and some other games I've not decided on at this time.

Would you advise this purchase or not - cast your vote and give me reasons why I should or shouldn't get one.

PS - Don't recommend the Gamecube as when I move in January my roommate will be providing one of those. Further, I'm not interested in the Playstation 2. So let's keep this between the Xbox and PC. :D

Matthyahuw
12-01-02, 09:56 PM
I love my Gamecube! :p
Good games for the kid, and good games for me too!

pelly
12-01-02, 09:56 PM
Hell yes you should buy it! I believe you'll start seeing the Xbox really come into its own this coming year....For a new platform, the games have been great!

If you compare it with PS2, you can't deny the Xbox has a great deal more headroom for better games down the road.....PS2 is already at its limit ( so it seems )

:D

saturnotaku
12-01-02, 10:00 PM
If I do end up getting the Xbox, my roommate and I will be complete computing/console hardware opposites.

Him - Mac and Gamecube/ATI
Me - PC and Xbox/NVIDIA

pelly, thanks for your feedback.

Matthy - thanks for nothing. :p :D

Let's keep the constructive comments coming, boys and girls. :D

Serath
12-01-02, 11:57 PM
Though I wasn't really into my xbox, I've got to admit that it's gotten quite a bit better since then. Games like MKDA, Bloodrayne, and splinter cell make it a definate buy in my book. And let's not forget Doom3 and Halo2 on the horizon :)

StealthHawk
12-01-02, 11:57 PM
buy Doom 3 for PC :)

you know you want to.

Matthyahuw
12-02-02, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
Matthy - thanks for nothing. :p :D Well, if you get another GameCube, you can do some networking with the new adapter! :p

LORD-eX-Bu
12-02-02, 01:42 AM
YES! Buy it! Thats on one of my to-do lists.:D

-=DVS=-
12-02-02, 12:29 PM
Sure buy it and then buy Halo 2 :D and don't forget to post your experiance to us :p

nin_fragile14
12-02-02, 01:01 PM
$199 and you get two free games. You can't beat that.

de><ta
12-02-02, 01:35 PM
yuck... u get two crumby old games with that deal. Another lame ms bait...

The two games i want which are only for consoles are bmx xxx:p and mk deadly alliance.

marqmajere
12-02-02, 01:40 PM
At least wait untill the price drops again. I personally would say no. Buy a Gamecube or PS2, but that's just because Xbox doesn't have the games I want. Other than that little detail :rolleyes: I think it's a fine system.

Marqus

saturnotaku
12-02-02, 01:44 PM
The only game I would want for the PS2 is GT3. But for Xbox I would want DOA3, Shenmue 2, DOA Xtreme Beach Volleyball (I'm a sick, sick man) and Halo/Halo 2. And the GamePube is 100% out of the question because I'm going to have access to one and I don't want there to be another one in the house.

But so far the Aye's have it. Keep the feedback coming and thanks to everyone who's responded so far! :D

nin_fragile14
12-02-02, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by de><ta
yuck... u get two crumby old games with that deal. Another lame ms bait...

The two games i want which are only for consoles are bmx xxx:p and mk deadly alliance.

They are actually pretty good games, having played them. Reviews say so as well: here (http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/5146.asp) and here (http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/5429.asp)

It's certainly better than getting a PS2 with no games at all.

saturnotaku
12-02-02, 03:39 PM
I could live without JSRF, but I like that Sega GT comes with the bundle because I'm a racing game junkie. I almost completely forgot about Project Gotham Racing.

exar
12-02-02, 06:45 PM
Last year, you would have gotten a resounding NO from everyone, but from what I've heard (and the few games I've played at Best Buy), the games coming out now finally make it worth the purchase. I'd wait until after the new year to pick up a used one that someone traded in, and save yourself about $50.

I still think that overall the PS2 and Gamecube (both of which I own) games look a lot better graphically, but that's only part of what makes a good game. I still enjoy playing SNES games because they were fun, obviously not because of the graphics. So if there's a lot of sequels to games you liked before, and they're getting good reviews, go get an Xbox.

Just remember, it costs $$$/month for Xbox Live. :eek:

saturnotaku
12-02-02, 10:35 PM
I'm not going to buy a used Xbox, I can tell you that for sure. I've had too many bad experiences with second hand items that weren't previously owned by family members.

I further don't intend to use Xbox Live. It'll be a waste of money considering I'm not a big fan of sports games.

DVD capability won't be an issue either as my future roomie is getting a DVD player for Christmas so that's another $30 saved right there. All I'm thinking I'll need is one extra controller and my games, which I'll acquire over time. :D

UDawg
12-02-02, 11:02 PM
XBox is not month to month. You pay a yearly subscription. If you divide up the total amount it is just over $4 a month. If you can't afford that then why are you buying a Xbox? :D

jimmt
12-03-02, 12:23 AM
My brother'n'law owns one and I have had a blast playing on it when I visit him. I always tease him about how big it is and that I wish he could bring it over to my house, but I am afraid he might pull his back out.. LOL, but its all in fun. The truth is, I pick on him because I am jelouse he has one!

Jim

Serath
12-03-02, 01:34 AM
I'd still vote for a PS2 if you were considering one :p I don't like the xbox at all really compared to the others on the market... but if you're not considering the other two, it's certainly a good idea to snag one just cuz it does have a few decent games now and some great ones planned ahead.

StealthHawk
12-03-02, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by UDawg71
XBox is not month to month. You pay a yearly subscription. If you divide up the total amount it is just over $4 a month. If you can't afford that then why are you buying a Xbox? :D

money is money. if hes not going to use the online features, why pay for them?

saturnotaku
12-03-02, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
if hes not going to use the online features, why pay for them?

Took the words right out of my mouth. :)

but if you're not considering the other two, it's certainly a good idea to snag one just cuz it does have a few decent games now and some great ones planned ahead.

As I'd said before, GameCube was never in consideration. Last night I took a walk through Best Buy and GameStop and took a good long look at the different games between the PS2 and Xbox. The PS2 absolutely has more games available now. But what Sony doesn't have is games I'm personally interested in playing (GT3 not withstanding). There were no other games that struck my fancy. So it's not like I didn't consider the PS2 it just doesn't have what I want. So it's a matter of should I buy an Xbox or not at all. :cool:

Nephilim
12-03-02, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
money is money. if hes not going to use the online features, why pay for them?

There is one game that is making it hard to resist getting Xbox live: Mech Assault. Other than that, I could do without it.

Matthyahuw
12-03-02, 05:12 PM
I still think MW4 is better on the PC than MA is on the Xbox...tweaking your Mech to the max and coming up with some config that totally wipes people out is awesome!
I love getting called a cheater all the time, lets me know I'm doing my job!

With MA, it's just point and shoot...blah

Nephilim
12-03-02, 06:18 PM
eh *shrug*